The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

pain-can’t pinpoint

Forums General Melanoma Community pain-can’t pinpoint

Participant

Question- About a month and a half ago I had this upper resp infection that made its way around out house. Well, the upper resp. part improved but I had this awful cough that would not go away and was terrible at night or anytime I laughed and did any activity. So the week before last, I went to doc. (primary family) He said I prob had some stubborn brochitis and gave me advair, z-pak, and cough syrup. Well the cough is better. However, the entire time I have had this stabbing pain that feels like its between my lung and spineand has a lingering burn.

Question- About a month and a half ago I had this upper resp infection that made its way around out house. Well, the upper resp. part improved but I had this awful cough that would not go away and was terrible at night or anytime I laughed and did any activity. So the week before last, I went to doc. (primary family) He said I prob had some stubborn brochitis and gave me advair, z-pak, and cough syrup. Well the cough is better. However, the entire time I have had this stabbing pain that feels like its between my lung and spineand has a lingering burn. When i cough it hurts terrible, but even when I am just sitting here this stabbing pain comes and goes. I tried aleve and nothing. But when I went to doc they did a chest xray when they dx the bronchitis. Wouldn't it have shown up on chest xray if something to be concerned about?

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        natasha
        Participant

Hi! It should be shown on Xray deffinately.

I have terrible cought now as well.

I had Xray , it clear and normal,so I was told I caught virus or something and was given medicines.

Can it be virus or infection?Do you have or had higher temperature?

natasha
          Participant

I had Xray , it clear and normal,so I was told I caught virus or something and was given medicines.

natasha
            Participant

cltml
              Participant
                you may be experiencing inflammation in the chest. have you tried taking ibuprofen? my onc had me do this when I started experiencing sharp pains like you describe. 600 mg (3 tablets) is the dosage where I was told to start. Thats an over-the-counter dose so no prescription is necessary. The relief was immediate and lasts about eight hours.

cltml

cltml
                Participant
                  you may be experiencing inflammation in the chest. have you tried taking ibuprofen? my onc had me do this when I started experiencing sharp pains like you describe. 600 mg (3 tablets) is the dosage where I was told to start. Thats an over-the-counter dose so no prescription is necessary. The relief was immediate and lasts about eight hours.

cltml

cltml
                  Participant

cltml

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                    Participant

You could also be experiencing pleurisy. It's not uncommon with bronchitis. I seem to get it every time I have bronchitis, and yes, it can hurt even when you don't breathe.

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                      Participant

You could also be experiencing pleurisy. It's not uncommon with bronchitis. I seem to get it every time I have bronchitis, and yes, it can hurt even when you don't breathe.

ChrisTheWilsonZoo
                        Participant

Janner
                          Participant

It's also possible to bruise or crack a rib with just coughing – and that can hurt a ton as well.  I think if there were something really sinister, something would have been seen on the xray.

natasha
                              Participant

Yes ,I think Xray should show something if it is in where.

I am not sure how often we can do Xray ( I think it is dangerous radiation), but I think once a year is ok

natasha
                                Participant

I am not sure how often we can do Xray ( I think it is dangerous radiation), but I think once a year is ok

natasha
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

It's also possible to bruise or crack a rib with just coughing – and that can hurt a ton as well.  I think if there were something really sinister, something would have been seen on the xray.

Janner
                                    Participant

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics