The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Option to participate in Pegylated Interferon plus Melanoma Peptide Vaccine trial

Forums General Melanoma Community Option to participate in Pegylated Interferon plus Melanoma Peptide Vaccine trial

Participant

I put up a post a few weeks ago mentioning briefly this option, but now it looks like I have fulfilled the criteria and need to make a call on whether to participate in this clinical trial combining Pegylated Interferon and Melanoma Peptide Vaccine (for details see: http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view/print?cdrid=638936&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=6200041).  I have pretty much decided to do the Pegylated Interferon anyhow, and so the question is whether to go ahead and do the vaccine as well in this trial.  I will be meeting with my doctor in 1

I put up a post a few weeks ago mentioning briefly this option, but now it looks like I have fulfilled the criteria and need to make a call on whether to participate in this clinical trial combining Pegylated Interferon and Melanoma Peptide Vaccine (for details see: http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/search/view/print?cdrid=638936&version=HealthProfessional&protocolsearchid=6200041).  I have pretty much decided to do the Pegylated Interferon anyhow, and so the question is whether to go ahead and do the vaccine as well in this trial.  I will be meeting with my doctor in 10 days to make the final call and would like advice as to what detailed questions I should ask.  I've read the clinical trial brief, but that's obviously very high level and this is my first experience thinking about participating in a trial.  Any advice from those who have done trials or looked at trial options would be greatly appreciated!

Elisa

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        FormerCaregiver
        Participant

Elisa, I am wondering if you have considered Leukine (GM-CSF)? This has been found to change the nature of melanoma in some people, making any new tumours more manageable with surgery.

Unfortunately, I am not convinced by the efficacy of interferon and the current melanoma vaccines. However, they could possibly be more effective in combination so it would be interesting to find out if having both together would improve one's prognosis.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
          Participant

Elisa, I am wondering if you have considered Leukine (GM-CSF)? This has been found to change the nature of melanoma in some people, making any new tumours more manageable with surgery.

Unfortunately, I am not convinced by the efficacy of interferon and the current melanoma vaccines. However, they could possibly be more effective in combination so it would be interesting to find out if having both together would improve one's prognosis.

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

Cooper
            Participant

Pegylated interferon was shown in recent studies to be more toxic in side affects than the regular interferon.  AND it is a five year sign up! Why would you want to take a treatment with toxic side affects for 5 years?  This is just a new spin on the old interferon but more lucrative for the manufacturer.  And interferon just has been around for ages with very little promise.  So I would take the vaccine just to get something different.

Cooper
              Participant

Pegylated interferon was shown in recent studies to be more toxic in side affects than the regular interferon.  AND it is a five year sign up! Why would you want to take a treatment with toxic side affects for 5 years?  This is just a new spin on the old interferon but more lucrative for the manufacturer.  And interferon just has been around for ages with very little promise.  So I would take the vaccine just to get something different.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics