The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

opdivo and sore thoat

Forums General Melanoma Community opdivo and sore thoat

Participant

I have been on Opdivo every other week for almost 6 months. I have had very few symptoms…fatigue mostly.  The first month I was on it I had a horrible bout of reflux and he changed my meds from an over the counter to pantoprazole 40mg that is time release. After that change no more major reflux issue. I have notice the last month or so that my throat/back of my tonged is irritated. I am wondering if this can be a reaction of the opdivo to possible inflammation in the throat area……or maybe some other reaction. It has not gotten any worse but also not getting any better. Of course I will talk to the doc next time I am in the office but wondering if anyone else has had any type of throat issue while on treatment.

Missy

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        MovingOn
        Participant

I’ve been on Opdivo monthly for 6 months. I’ve had many infections during this time and my Onc prescribed two antibiotics at one point because my lymph nodes were swelling. So I would definitely recommend getting your throat checked out.  I think that I also had a soar throat (I can’t always tell because a neck dissection reduced the feeling I have in my neck) but that I took care of with strong mouthwash: 1/2 hydrogen peroxide & 1/2 listerine.

WithinMySkin
          Participant

Hi Missy,

Immunotherapy does some funny things! It could be just a sore throat or allergies (with the weather changing and all). Or since you've already had a bout with reflux, it could be the reflux happening again. My husband has had a chronic cough for years that's attributed to reflux – he never feels heartburn, but his vocal cords and throat are always scratchy and sore. You can always try adding in some tums or an allergy pill like Claritin to see if these help! (After talking to your doctor, of course 😉

Lauren

iskitwo
            Participant

Thanks for y'alls responce. I will try some gargle and tums between now and the doctors appt but will definitely talk it over with the doc

lkb
              Participant

Missy, I've been sore under the tongue and in the throat after my second Opdivo infusion; salty-water gargle minimizes both so far. It is, however, flu season, so we'll see. Good luck and keep us posted.

Lisa

marta010
                Participant

HI Missy – I also have reflux issues and found that they are lessened significantly if I regularly take a probiotic.  I take dophilus powder (Nutrikey brand) mixed with water every night and as needed if I'm experiencing reflux.  It has really helped – I no longer take any other reflux meds.  Hope your mouth/throat issues subside.  Take care.

Ann

MelanomaMike
                  Participant
                    Hi iskitwo! Well, i cant say my throat has been much of a problem but my tongue has, cant quite put a “timeline” to when it began, it coulda started back in my Pembro days(Nov2017 to May2018) , my tongues “underbelly” has been a bit swollen and once/twice a month my tongues upper part (exposed pallet area) gets sensitive and has a raw feeling like ive been eating salty jagged/sharp munchies or something (wich i dont really) so, as far as Mouth issues thats mine!
                    jennunicorn
                    Participant

I also developed GERD after a few infusions of Ipi. Was on pantoprazole 40mg for a couple of years. This year I had an upper endoscopy to make sure there wasn't anything more damaging in there. It's been better since stopping treatment and now I am down to 20mg. But, I will say a scratchy sore throat is still very common even on meds. There could still be a small amount of acid coming up that you don't  notice. Or risidual effect from the reflux prior to medication. Allergies are can also be a big reason depending on where you live. Here in california allergies are year round and horrible. Your doc will take a look back there and let you know what they think when you see them.

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics