The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

One Year Anniversary

Forums General Melanoma Community One Year Anniversary

Participant

What an odd thing to celebrate – my one year anniversary of stage 4'ness. When my oncologist told me I was stage 4 on 9/10/14 he said the "conventional" survival was less than a year. Googling revealed several sources citing that 7 months was the median survival.

But here I am and not dead yet!

I am truly (as are all late stage survivors) on bonus time. Without all the help from my team at SCCA, and the considerable melanoma research that has been and continues to be undertaken all over the world I am pretty sure I would not be able to type these words in. Also, I have learned so much from all the contributors to this site that has allowed me to make intelligent decisions about the path I am on.

I have absolutely no idea if this will just be a respite from the disease or a long term durable response, but I do know enough not to waste my bonus days!

I am just so humbled and so incredibly grateful.

– Paul

Viewing 29 reply threads
    • Replies
        jbronicki
        Participant

Happy Anniversary (that is odd to say ๐Ÿ™‚ )  Glad you are still here Paul and wishing you a very durable response and many more anniversaries. 

jbronicki
          Participant

Happy Anniversary (that is odd to say ๐Ÿ™‚ )  Glad you are still here Paul and wishing you a very durable response and many more anniversaries. 

_Paul_
              Participant

Thanks Jackie!

_Paul_
                Participant

Thanks Jackie!

_Paul_
                  Participant

Thanks Jackie!

jbronicki
                  Participant

Richard_K
                    Participant

Paul,

May you celebrate many more.

_Paul_
                        Participant

Thanks Richard!

_Paul_
                          Participant

Thanks Richard!

_Paul_
                            Participant

Thanks Richard!

Richard_K
                            Participant

Paul,

Richard_K
                              Participant

Paul,

arthurjedi007
                                Participant

Congrats Paul. We are passed our expiration date. Hehe

Over 26 months for me and all this time stuff still grows and new stuff shows up but I'm still here.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                                  Participant

Over 26 months for me and all this time stuff still grows and new stuff shows up but I'm still here.

Artie

_Paul_
                                      Participant

Thanks Artie. Sorry to hear about your experience so far at MD Anderson. I am praying that once you get past the beaurcratic bullshit that things will improve. You are one of my heros on this site.

_Paul_
                                        Participant

Thanks Artie. Sorry to hear about your experience so far at MD Anderson. I am praying that once you get past the beaurcratic bullshit that things will improve. You are one of my heros on this site.

_Paul_
                                          Participant

arthurjedi007
                                          Participant

Artie

Mat
                                            Participant

Congratulations Paul!  I also recently "celebrated" my second cancer anniversary.  Looking forward to many more for both of us.

Mat
                                              Participant

Congratulations Paul!  I also recently "celebrated" my second cancer anniversary.  Looking forward to many more for both of us.

Mat
                                                Participant

_Paul_
                                                    Participant

Hey Mat,

Thank you and congratulations on 2! 

_Paul_
                                                      Participant

Hey Mat,

_Paul_
                                                        Participant

Hey Mat,

Bubbles
                                                        Participant

Oh, Paul.  Congrats on being one year POST Stage IV melanoma!!!  Wonderful news.  (The "post" part anyway!!!) Yes, I think your words ring true for many of us.  If asked, "Are you going to die?"  While the answer for everyone is obviously, "Yes"…..we can add…."But, not today!"  I wish you a ba-zillion more "post" melanoma days and years!  Celeste

_Paul_
                                                            Participant

Thanks a bunch Celeste. Bubbles is such an appropriate nick name for you since you are like a fountain of positive energy!

_Paul_
                                                              Participant

Thanks a bunch Celeste. Bubbles is such an appropriate nick name for you since you are like a fountain of positive energy!

_Paul_
                                                                Participant

Bubbles
                                                                Participant

Oh, Paul.  Congrats on being one year POST Stage IV melanoma!!!  Wonderful news.  (The "post" part anyway!!!) Yes, I think your words ring true for many of us.  If asked, "Are you going to die?"  While the answer for everyone is obviously, "Yes"…..we can add…."But, not today!"  I wish you a ba-zillion more "post" melanoma days and years!  Celeste

Bubbles
                                                                  Participant

mrsaxde
                                                                    Participant

I'm glad you're still with us! Hang in there!!

I've done ipi. Now I'm on Keytruda. If that doesn't do it for me, I'll just move from new treatment to new treatment for as long as possible, and hopefully stay around long enough to get to the treatment that is the cure.

All my best to you, Paul!

-Bill

tschmith
                                                                        Participant

Great news, Paul!  Keep up the good fight!  My crystal ball says long term durable response…music to all of our ears!  Looking forward to seeing another happy post on September 10, 2016.

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                          Participant

Great news, Paul!  Keep up the good fight!  My crystal ball says long term durable response…music to all of our ears!  Looking forward to seeing another happy post on September 10, 2016.

Terrie

tschmith
                                                                            Participant

Terrie

_Paul_
                                                                              Participant

Thanks Bill. I know we are getting closer to a cure, and the treatments keep getting better. So absolutely right, we just have to stick around!

_Paul_
                                                                                Participant

Thanks Bill. I know we are getting closer to a cure, and the treatments keep getting better. So absolutely right, we just have to stick around!

_Paul_
                                                                                  Participant

mrsaxde
                                                                                  Participant

I've done ipi. Now I'm on Keytruda. If that doesn't do it for me, I'll just move from new treatment to new treatment for as long as possible, and hopefully stay around long enough to get to the treatment that is the cure.

-Bill

mrsaxde
                                                                                    Participant

-Bill

DZnDef
                                                                                      Participant

Happy anniversary, Paul!  I don't think that's a weird thing to celebrate at all.  I hit my one year (post-recurrence) anniversary last January and still going strong too!  Enjoy all of your "bonus days" and may you have too many to count!

Cheers!

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                                        Participant

Happy anniversary, Paul!  I don't think that's a weird thing to celebrate at all.  I hit my one year (post-recurrence) anniversary last January and still going strong too!  Enjoy all of your "bonus days" and may you have too many to count!

Cheers!

Maggie

DZnDef
                                                                                          Participant

Cheers!

Maggie

_Paul_
                                                                                              Participant

Thanks Maggie and congratulations to you too! Bonus days all around!

_Paul_
                                                                                                Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                  Participant

dodgedh2
                                                                                                  Participant

Happy Anniversery! I am Stage 4 (unknown primary) and I have been NED for 7 years and 3 months now. With all the latest developments in treatment, there are so many tools to help fight this disease (which weren't available when I first was diagnosed). Just keep fighting, and take one day at a time. Statistics you find on the web don't mean anything. They are outdated (due to the advances in treatments). This is a great group to keep in touch with. There are sevaral long-term, late-stage survivors on here. Another good group is the "Melanoma Warriors & Cancer Club Friends" group in Facebook. It is a closed group, but only to filter out spammers. A simple email to the admin for the site will get approval to join.

Without these two groups, I wouldn't have had the energy to make it this far in our fight. Hopes and prayers that you also achieve NED for many happy years. 

dodgedh2
                                                                                                    Participant

Happy Anniversery! I am Stage 4 (unknown primary) and I have been NED for 7 years and 3 months now. With all the latest developments in treatment, there are so many tools to help fight this disease (which weren't available when I first was diagnosed). Just keep fighting, and take one day at a time. Statistics you find on the web don't mean anything. They are outdated (due to the advances in treatments). This is a great group to keep in touch with. There are sevaral long-term, late-stage survivors on here. Another good group is the "Melanoma Warriors & Cancer Club Friends" group in Facebook. It is a closed group, but only to filter out spammers. A simple email to the admin for the site will get approval to join.

Without these two groups, I wouldn't have had the energy to make it this far in our fight. Hopes and prayers that you also achieve NED for many happy years. 

dodgedh2
                                                                                                      Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                          Participant

Thanks for the Facebook suggestion dodgeh2, I sent my requesty to Danielle to join the group. And thanks for the wishes to achieve NED. That would be fantastic.

_Paul_
                                                                                                            Participant

Thanks for the Facebook suggestion dodgeh2, I sent my requesty to Danielle to join the group. And thanks for the wishes to achieve NED. That would be fantastic.

_Paul_
                                                                                                              Participant

dfeng
                                                                                                              Participant

We will cerebrate many manys after this.

dfeng
                                                                                                                Participant

dfeng
                                                                                                                  Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                                      Participant

That sounds like an excellent plan D. Feng. I am with you!

_Paul_
                                                                                                                        Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                                          Participant

ET-SF
                                                                                                                          Participant

We met Wednesday with ET's new oncology team at Inova and spoke with Dr. Venna.  He commented that melanoma may soon become a manageable chronic illness.  There's certainly hope!

So happy anniversary!  Here's hoping for many more!  ๐Ÿ™‚

ET-SF
                                                                                                                            Participant

We met Wednesday with ET's new oncology team at Inova and spoke with Dr. Venna.  He commented that melanoma may soon become a manageable chronic illness.  There's certainly hope!

ET-SF
                                                                                                                              Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you very much SF! ET is very luck to you have on her side!

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                    Participant

_Paul_
                                                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 29 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics