The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Oncovex

Forums General Melanoma Community Oncovex

Participant

I have been reading a lot about Oncovex.  I have heart disease so cannot take strong chemos.  Does anyone know it Oncovex has side effects.  I am currently having radiation on a lump on my face and chest.  I have stage 4 melanoma.  I am inquiring about a clinical trial in Omaha, ne.  I need something quick as my Cardiologist thinks i have more blockage on front of heart.  That would mean another heart cather and stent(s).  Maybe I am too old to get into clinical trials. I am a male 79 yrs. old.

I have been reading a lot about Oncovex.  I have heart disease so cannot take strong chemos.  Does anyone know it Oncovex has side effects.  I am currently having radiation on a lump on my face and chest.  I have stage 4 melanoma.  I am inquiring about a clinical trial in Omaha, ne.  I need something quick as my Cardiologist thinks i have more blockage on front of heart.  That would mean another heart cather and stent(s).  Maybe I am too old to get into clinical trials. I am a male 79 yrs. old.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        KatyWI
        Participant

I read up on Oncovex too becasuse I was considering this trial.  I don't remember all the details, but it was one of the choices with fewer side effects.  If I was in your shoes, I'd definltely consider it, espeically since you have readily injectable suqQs.  The currently available trial is phase III, which means you might get the "control" drug, which is injected GM-CSF.  My biggest concern about the trial was that GM-CSF doesn't have much evidence as being an effective drug for stage IV disease.  However, from a purely scientific perspsective, in the trial design, it's a great control.  Now, if we were just rats instead of people I'd never complain…

79 ain't too old!

KatyWI

I know there are people who have been on Oncovex who are on the Board sometimes, so I think they will be able to answer your questions.  Regarding age, my father was going to consider Oncovex and we made inquiries.  He was around 85 and that did not disqualify him.  I would encourage you to call the trial contact and talk to them.  

OOOPS!!  Sorry!  We were looking at the PV-10 trial, not Oncovex!!  I am getting confused…. but still, my father's age was not a consideration, so it is worth investigating.

ellen

LynnLuc
            Participant

looks like Moffitt will be having a trial according to this page…http://drericwhitman.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/melanoma-centers-meeting-rose-bengal-pv-10-update/

The company website is Provectus …here is an article form them…you could contact them and see what is up and coming …good luck to you and your father!!

LynnLuc
              Participant

looks like Moffitt will be having a trial according to this page…http://drericwhitman.wordpress.com/2010/11/04/melanoma-centers-meeting-rose-bengal-pv-10-update/

The company website is Provectus …here is an article form them…you could contact them and see what is up and coming …good luck to you and your father!!

OOOPS!!  Sorry!  We were looking at the PV-10 trial, not Oncovex!!  I am getting confused…. but still, my father's age was not a consideration, so it is worth investigating.

ellen

I know there are people who have been on Oncovex who are on the Board sometimes, so I think they will be able to answer your questions.  Regarding age, my father was going to consider Oncovex and we made inquiries.  He was around 85 and that did not disqualify him.  I would encourage you to call the trial contact and talk to them.  

KatyWI
              Participant

I read up on Oncovex too becasuse I was considering this trial.  I don't remember all the details, but it was one of the choices with fewer side effects.  If I was in your shoes, I'd definltely consider it, espeically since you have readily injectable suqQs.  The currently available trial is phase III, which means you might get the "control" drug, which is injected GM-CSF.  My biggest concern about the trial was that GM-CSF doesn't have much evidence as being an effective drug for stage IV disease.  However, from a purely scientific perspsective, in the trial design, it's a great control.  Now, if we were just rats instead of people I'd never complain…

79 ain't too old!

KatyWI

Viewing 1 reply thread
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics