The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Onc visit to discuss Interferon

Forums General Melanoma Community Onc visit to discuss Interferon

Participant

Hello,

I will be seeing my Onc on 7/1/11 to discuss treatment options for my stage III mel. 

I know interferon will be discussed, peg vs high dose.

What are some key questions I should ask of my onc with regards to treatment options?

Thank you,

Allen

Hello,

I will be seeing my Onc on 7/1/11 to discuss treatment options for my stage III mel. 

I know interferon will be discussed, peg vs high dose.

What are some key questions I should ask of my onc with regards to treatment options?

Thank you,

Allen

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

I am sure you are aware that the options are limited for stage three, but you may want to pose the following questions:

High dose and low dose- comparing improved relapse-free survival (RFS) and improved overall survival (OS) of taking either high dose or both.

Maybe this will assist you some as well: (it also has some info on Pegylated Interferon, which you mentioned in a earlier post. It has a longer half-life and can be administered subcutaneously, for up to 5 years)

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/melanoma/HealthProfessional/page8

Also, what if any clinical trials are available for patients with resected stage III disease. (from your profile, it sounds like you are 3a, so I’m not sure how many are available)

If you wish to look, there are quite a few at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ but many are for unresected stage three and others you may not qualify for.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=melanoma+stage+III&recr=Open&no_unk=Y

One is even with yervoy (Ipilimumab) and high dose interferon, but it is for Stage IIIB, IIIC, or IV (M1a or M1b) disease.

And another is for stage IIIB and IIIC with macroscopic involvement using GSK 2132231A and a placebo.

Good luck,

Michael 1B

Lisa13
            Participant

I just listened to the full audio of Dr. John Kirkwood from the ASCO conference. He mentioned trials on Interferon and said that the full dose was required and they didn't find any benefit in using the HD 1 month treatment. He also said the numbers were increasing with Interferon – 40% in keeping a reoccurence from coming and 25% survival rate increases. These numbers are much better than the 11% I was given back in March.

As Michael mentioned, there are lots of clinical trials for Stage 3, so it's great to have some options.

Best of luck!

Lisa

Lisa13
              Participant

I just listened to the full audio of Dr. John Kirkwood from the ASCO conference. He mentioned trials on Interferon and said that the full dose was required and they didn't find any benefit in using the HD 1 month treatment. He also said the numbers were increasing with Interferon – 40% in keeping a reoccurence from coming and 25% survival rate increases. These numbers are much better than the 11% I was given back in March.

As Michael mentioned, there are lots of clinical trials for Stage 3, so it's great to have some options.

Best of luck!

Lisa

MichaelFL
              Participant

I am sure you are aware that the options are limited for stage three, but you may want to pose the following questions:

High dose and low dose- comparing improved relapse-free survival (RFS) and improved overall survival (OS) of taking either high dose or both.

Maybe this will assist you some as well: (it also has some info on Pegylated Interferon, which you mentioned in a earlier post. It has a longer half-life and can be administered subcutaneously, for up to 5 years)

http://www.cancer.gov/cancertopics/pdq/treatment/melanoma/HealthProfessional/page8

Also, what if any clinical trials are available for patients with resected stage III disease. (from your profile, it sounds like you are 3a, so I’m not sure how many are available)

If you wish to look, there are quite a few at http://clinicaltrials.gov/ but many are for unresected stage three and others you may not qualify for.

http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?term=melanoma+stage+III&recr=Open&no_unk=Y

One is even with yervoy (Ipilimumab) and high dose interferon, but it is for Stage IIIB, IIIC, or IV (M1a or M1b) disease.

And another is for stage IIIB and IIIC with macroscopic involvement using GSK 2132231A and a placebo.

Good luck,

Michael 1B

Brouster
                Participant

My wife passed from Melanoma several years ago, when first she was dx stage III, and began treatment with Interferon, I began my own research.   What I discovered was, that this drug is in no way a cure for the disease, that it merely adds statistically about 14 months to survival.   When I discussed this with her onc, his reply was, what do you want me to do, it is the "gold standard".  15 months after her year of Interferron treatment, the disease came back with a vengeance, and spread to her brain, her  lungs, liver, abdomen, spine, and legs.   

When she went stage IV, her bio-chemo therapy, she responded very well to it and it cleared her of approx. 95% of the disease.  Unfortunately she got to the point where she could undergo no more treatment.

My wife survived just about as long as the statistics for Interferon treatment suggested she would and that was about 27 months.

After everything I have read about Interferon and subsequent discussions with 2 oncologists, I came to the decision that were either one of my three children ever dx with stage III Melanoma, I would insist that they go straight to Stage IV treatment, and completely forego Interferon.   No one, and I mean no one has been able to show that Interferon is any more then a treatment to extend one's survivability and additional 14 months.

My advice to you is to frankly discuss Interferon Treatment with your Onc.   Ask the tough questions, do your own research and come to your own conclusions.   You probably will not get honest answers from your onc. or treatment center.

Best of luck to you.

boot2aboot
                    Participant
                      Brouster,
                      sorry for your loss….stage 3 difficult and frustrating….i,d be on ipi if i could…the way the fda is set up i can,t get on it…. i am sorry to tell you that there just is,nt any good treatment for us….you do have some options other than interferon. I would ask about clinical trials, csf-gm, localizes radiation and bio-chemo….everything runs about 10 %….and everyones mel is different….and who knows? You might be one of the lucky ones…..bottom line is find out everything you can ….you are your best onc
                      boot2aboot
                      Participant
                        Brouster,
                        sorry for your loss….stage 3 difficult and frustrating….i,d be on ipi if i could…the way the fda is set up i can,t get on it…. i am sorry to tell you that there just is,nt any good treatment for us….you do have some options other than interferon. I would ask about clinical trials, csf-gm, localizes radiation and bio-chemo….everything runs about 10 %….and everyones mel is different….and who knows? You might be one of the lucky ones…..bottom line is find out everything you can ….you are your best onc
                      Brouster
                      Participant

My wife passed from Melanoma several years ago, when first she was dx stage III, and began treatment with Interferon, I began my own research.   What I discovered was, that this drug is in no way a cure for the disease, that it merely adds statistically about 14 months to survival.   When I discussed this with her onc, his reply was, what do you want me to do, it is the "gold standard".  15 months after her year of Interferron treatment, the disease came back with a vengeance, and spread to her brain, her  lungs, liver, abdomen, spine, and legs.   

When she went stage IV, her bio-chemo therapy, she responded very well to it and it cleared her of approx. 95% of the disease.  Unfortunately she got to the point where she could undergo no more treatment.

My wife survived just about as long as the statistics for Interferon treatment suggested she would and that was about 27 months.

After everything I have read about Interferon and subsequent discussions with 2 oncologists, I came to the decision that were either one of my three children ever dx with stage III Melanoma, I would insist that they go straight to Stage IV treatment, and completely forego Interferon.   No one, and I mean no one has been able to show that Interferon is any more then a treatment to extend one's survivability and additional 14 months.

My advice to you is to frankly discuss Interferon Treatment with your Onc.   Ask the tough questions, do your own research and come to your own conclusions.   You probably will not get honest answers from your onc. or treatment center.

Best of luck to you.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics