The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

# of Infusions for Stage 3 Opdivo

Forums General Melanoma Community # of Infusions for Stage 3 Opdivo

Participant
      Hi All,

Minor question regarding # of adjuvant Opdivo infusions for Stage 3 folks. I recently moved a crossed the country. My previous oncologist overseeing my Opdivo infusions recommended 13 infusions every 4 weeks to cover the full 52 week year. My new oncologist recommended 12 infusions every 4 weeks, but is ok with doing 13 if I prefer. The general feedback is it really shouldn’t make a difference and that benefits of immunotherapy don’t stop after the last infusion.

It’s approved by insurance for 13 and adverse effects have been minor so far, so I’m leaning towards just getting the 13th infusion. I‘ve always approached my melanoma as attacking it aggressively as much as possible in my treatment.

What have other Stage 3 people done? 12 or 13 infusions?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Baby_Girl
        Participant
          I had 12, but to me 13 would make it a full year. I’m thinking I should have questioned it and asked for a 13th infusion but I’m not sure if it would make that big of a difference either way.
          tkoss
          Participant
            i think dosage important in this discussion. i was prescribed 240 mg twice a month for a year. 24x total.
            Bubbles
            Participant
              Opdivo infusions are either 240 mg every 2 weeks or 480 mg every 4 weeks. So if the docs are discussing monthly infusions they are talking about 480mg every 4 weeks.

This a link to the FDA prescribing information – https://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/label/2019/125554s070lbl.pdf – It gives the following prescribing information:

Administer OPDIVO as an intravenous infusion over 30 minutes.
               Unresectable or metastatic melanoma
               OPDIVO 240 mg every 2 weeks or 480 mg every 4 weeks.
               OPDIVO 1 mg/kg, followed by ipilimumab on the same day, every
              3 weeks for 4 doses, then OPDIVO 240 mg every 2 weeks or 480 mg
              every 4 weeks.
               Adjuvant treatment of melanoma
               OPDIVO 240 mg every 2 weeks or 480 mg every 4 weeks.

tkoss
                Participant
                  2x a month is very disruptive to one’s life.

. On the other hand i got an attendance award at my infusion clinic and am often mistaken for an employee.

mine is via a port which involves both surgery to install and remove. The only explanation i got regarding port is a vague reference to vein collapse.

so if 480 mg once a month intravenous works as well as 2x a month thru a port, the former is much better .

kfred0926
                Participant
                  Mu husband also has recurrence and is now Stage 3. He will be doing his first Opdivo treatment October 6th. Once a month for 12 months is the Schedule his oncologist has given him. He also has had 21 radiation treatments and finished that two weeks ago.
                    kfred0926
                    Participant
                      They are also putting a Port in even though he will be getting the monthly treatments. The Doc says he doesn’t have good veins and the Port was recommended in his case.
                      maryb-z
                      Participant
                        I opted for a port due to terrible veins. Best decision. I tried the monthly infusion but my joints became inflamed and calcium levels skyrocketed. Went to 2 twice monthly infusions which helped decrease side effects but I also needed 5mg prednisone for inflammation. I also did treatments for 2 years. I’m stage 3C and have had 8 recurrences in 11 years. Best of luck!
                  Viewing 3 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics