The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Not sure of protocol but….

Forums General Melanoma Community Not sure of protocol but….

Participant

I hope this is okay.  Many of you "know' Shelly in Switzerland, the expat from Vermont who, with her family, had moved to Switzerland and had been fighting stage four melanoma.  Shelly's positive spirit always inspired me.  She passed away last week.  Here is her Caring Bridge site http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/shellypilcher1

Shelly had experienced good results with treatment, and had enjoyed what her husband called "the gift of extended life" as a result of it.  She was an amazing warrior.

Lori Challinor

I hope this is okay.  Many of you "know' Shelly in Switzerland, the expat from Vermont who, with her family, had moved to Switzerland and had been fighting stage four melanoma.  Shelly's positive spirit always inspired me.  She passed away last week.  Here is her Caring Bridge site http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/shellypilcher1

Shelly had experienced good results with treatment, and had enjoyed what her husband called "the gift of extended life" as a result of it.  She was an amazing warrior.

Lori Challinor

Viewing 13 reply threads
    • Replies
        Julie in SoCal
        Participant

Thanks Lori for posting this.  I appreciate knowing what has happened to Shelly. 

Blessings,

Julie

Julie in SoCal
          Participant

Thanks Lori for posting this.  I appreciate knowing what has happened to Shelly. 

Blessings,

Julie

lhaley
            Participant

I am also on her Caring Bridge site and thought of posting.

Shelly gave an amazing fight.  She will be missed by many. Thoughts and prayers go to her husband and 2 teenage children.

Linda

lhaley
              Participant

I am also on her Caring Bridge site and thought of posting.

Shelly gave an amazing fight.  She will be missed by many. Thoughts and prayers go to her husband and 2 teenage children.

Linda

CarolA
                Participant

"Shelly in Switzerland" offered a lot of information and support on this board, that I'm sure will be referred to in research by many.    My sympathy to her family and friends.  We did get to "know" her and her zest for life and love of family.   Rest in peace, Shelly.

CarolA ~ Stage III

Amherst, NY

CarolA
                  Participant

"Shelly in Switzerland" offered a lot of information and support on this board, that I'm sure will be referred to in research by many.    My sympathy to her family and friends.  We did get to "know" her and her zest for life and love of family.   Rest in peace, Shelly.

CarolA ~ Stage III

Amherst, NY

dian in spokane
                    Participant

Lori, thanks for letting us know. I'm so sorry for your loss

dian in spokane

Erinmay22
                        Participant

Thanks for sharing this….  so sorry to hear!  Just another reminder of how much this melanoma-madness sucks…  

Erin

Erinmay22
                          Participant

Thanks for sharing this….  so sorry to hear!  Just another reminder of how much this melanoma-madness sucks…  

Erin

dian in spokane
                          Participant

Lori, thanks for letting us know. I'm so sorry for your loss

dian in spokane

FormerCaregiver
                            Participant

I am very sorry to read of Shelly's passing. May she rest in peace.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                              Participant

I am very sorry to read of Shelly's passing. May she rest in peace.

Frank from Australia

Kim K
                                Participant

I had no idea…..

Damn…..

I was wondering how she was doing, I haven't been on as much this month.  Shelly, Sharon and I were diagnosed with similar histories, within a week or two of each other.  Shelly and I had lung surgery within days of each other.  I really related to her when doing our research.  She was in a different country, and Hawaii so far away from a melanoma center.  We debated traveling and leaving our families…..

Both are gone now….

I miss my friends and realize how easily it could have been me.

I hate this shit……….

Thank you for posting.  My friends here will never be forgotten and I am still glad to have met them.  Just taken aback right now….

glewis923
                                    Participant

My sentiments exactly…..it sucks that Shelly is gone .. …just be assured that she is in a better place now.

glewis923
                                      Participant

My sentiments exactly…..it sucks that Shelly is gone .. …just be assured that she is in a better place now.

Kim K
                                      Participant

I had no idea…..

Damn…..

I was wondering how she was doing, I haven't been on as much this month.  Shelly, Sharon and I were diagnosed with similar histories, within a week or two of each other.  Shelly and I had lung surgery within days of each other.  I really related to her when doing our research.  She was in a different country, and Hawaii so far away from a melanoma center.  We debated traveling and leaving our families…..

Both are gone now….

I miss my friends and realize how easily it could have been me.

I hate this shit……….

Thank you for posting.  My friends here will never be forgotten and I am still glad to have met them.  Just taken aback right now….

obie66
                                        Participant

Hi.  This is Jeff, Shelly's brother.  Yes, Shelly was a warrior against this disease, and I am so amazed at her strength and positivity that she carried through this.  It has been a horrible, gut wrenching loss.  But I do want to tell everyone out there on the board that Shelly's experience with the BRAF clinical trial (Now Zelboraf) is reason for everyone here to fight and hope.  When the melanoma metastisized to her lungs in March of 2010, we were all fearfull of the worst soon – didn't think we'd have a summer with her.  She started the drug in June, and each subsequent 6 or 9 week scan for the rest of 2010, and even this year into 2011 – shrinking tumors in the lungs!  In that time she came home to Washington and Vermont and had a big summer vacation here where we hiked, and played and celebrated her 50th birthday in Washington wine country.  She went to Italy with her family.  She went to concerts with her kids.  In February this year, she flew from Switzerland to Seattle for a surprise birthday visit to my other sister Lisa  – and vacationed for 2 weeks here.  And she made it to see her daughters graduation in May of this year.  None of us believe any of it would be possible without the BRAF trial.  I believe that the right combination of treatment is near – so all, keep fighting and keep hope.  The hard issue with Shelly is that it metastasized into her brain, and no one was scanning the brain – only watching the shrinking in the lungs.  So my completely unmedical, uninformed advice is if you are stage IV, watch the entire body.  If we had caught the brain mets earlier, she might have made the next step to Yervoy.  Who knows what combination is ahead, but both of these drugs are incredible advances forward that haven't been seen with this disease in decades.  Keep hope, keep fighting.  With love.  Jeff

obie66
                                          Participant

Hi.  This is Jeff, Shelly's brother.  Yes, Shelly was a warrior against this disease, and I am so amazed at her strength and positivity that she carried through this.  It has been a horrible, gut wrenching loss.  But I do want to tell everyone out there on the board that Shelly's experience with the BRAF clinical trial (Now Zelboraf) is reason for everyone here to fight and hope.  When the melanoma metastisized to her lungs in March of 2010, we were all fearfull of the worst soon – didn't think we'd have a summer with her.  She started the drug in June, and each subsequent 6 or 9 week scan for the rest of 2010, and even this year into 2011 – shrinking tumors in the lungs!  In that time she came home to Washington and Vermont and had a big summer vacation here where we hiked, and played and celebrated her 50th birthday in Washington wine country.  She went to Italy with her family.  She went to concerts with her kids.  In February this year, she flew from Switzerland to Seattle for a surprise birthday visit to my other sister Lisa  – and vacationed for 2 weeks here.  And she made it to see her daughters graduation in May of this year.  None of us believe any of it would be possible without the BRAF trial.  I believe that the right combination of treatment is near – so all, keep fighting and keep hope.  The hard issue with Shelly is that it metastasized into her brain, and no one was scanning the brain – only watching the shrinking in the lungs.  So my completely unmedical, uninformed advice is if you are stage IV, watch the entire body.  If we had caught the brain mets earlier, she might have made the next step to Yervoy.  Who knows what combination is ahead, but both of these drugs are incredible advances forward that haven't been seen with this disease in decades.  Keep hope, keep fighting.  With love.  Jeff

Viewing 13 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics