The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Non medical question

Forums General Melanoma Community Non medical question

Participant

This seems like a trivial question with all the serious posts here, but I’m having an issue that some of you might be able to help me with. 

Now that summer is here I’m obviously slathering myself with sunscreen constantly. But it has really messed with my leather car seats and leather purses! It leave terrible marks on them, some of which I can clean off, but some that stain. Are some sunscreens better than others for staining? Or am I going to be stuck covering everything up with towels for the summer? I figured that you all would know more about sunscreen than most!  I would be very thankful for any ideas!

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        kathycmc
        Participant

There are 2 basic types of sunscreen.  One uses chemicals as a barrier and one uses minerals as a barrier.  There are also some that use both.  The typical ones you find in most stores are chemical based and they are more likely to stain your clothes.  The mineral based ones are usually drier in texture and non-staining.  Either way make sure the sunscreen is dry on your skin before you go out in the sun. 

Edwin
          Participant

I don’t want to stain my car seat with sweat.  Before I drive home after a run, I put a seat cover over my car seat.  I have and like SeatShield car seat covers.

Edwin

kcmtnbiker
            Participant

Assuming you are looking for specific products, I switched to ""No-Ad sport spf 50" sunscreen and no longer have issues with staining of my shirts. I had a real problem with my shirt collars, sleeves, etc. staining and have not had that problem for the 6 years I have used this product. I don't know if it will solve your issue, but it solved mine. I cannont find it locally, but order it on-line.

Susanlee528
                Participant

Thanks for the suggestions. I’ve been experimenting and I found a nutrogena spray that isn’t greasy and doesn’t leave marks everywhere. I trust lotions a bit more than sprays, but this has pretty good ratings and it’s easy to reapply often. 

I will also check out the No-ad stuff and also those seat covers mentioned! I’ll get this all mastered some day! 

BillB
                  Participant

Hi Susan, I use neutragena lotion, 55 spf and it’s not greasy afare rubbed in completely. I also have the SPF 70 spray but haven’t used it yet.

bill

BillB
                    Participant

Hi Susan, I use neutragena lotion, 55 spf and it’s not greasy afare rubbed in completely. I also have the SPF 70 spray but haven’t used it yet.

bill

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics