The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

No Rib Pain

Forums General Melanoma Community No Rib Pain

Participant

I was looking for any people out here that has had Melanoma in there rib cage.  I had a Pet Scan and left rib cage 3rd rib down lit up on the scan.  Originally the doctors thought it was from a previous injury, but that was ruled out with a rib cage xray and nothing showed up.  I am scheduled to have a bone biopsy this Friday.  What I was wondering is if anyone has had this and absolutly no pain.  I have no pain or symptons.  What other possibilities could it be if not melanoma?  Everything I have read out here people seem to experience pain associated wit

I was looking for any people out here that has had Melanoma in there rib cage.  I had a Pet Scan and left rib cage 3rd rib down lit up on the scan.  Originally the doctors thought it was from a previous injury, but that was ruled out with a rib cage xray and nothing showed up.  I am scheduled to have a bone biopsy this Friday.  What I was wondering is if anyone has had this and absolutly no pain.  I have no pain or symptons.  What other possibilities could it be if not melanoma?  Everything I have read out here people seem to experience pain associated with bone melanoma.  Has anyone ever had this with NO PAIN???? Thank you so much for comments and other subjestions..

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        aldakota22
        Participant

Can not offer any advice but praying that it is not bone melanoma.You already have too much to deal with.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
          Participant

Can not offer any advice but praying that it is not bone melanoma.You already have too much to deal with.Beat the Beast.  Al

aldakota22
            Participant

dodgedh2
              Participant

I was originally diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma (located in my sacrum) with unknown primary. I had no pain and absolutly no symptoms other than fatgue. It was found during a scan taken for other unrelated issues that I was having at the time and diagnosed as melanoma when it was biopsied. I discussed this with my oncologist and he told me that it is common to have NO symptoms, sometimes until it is too late. Take no chances, have the biopsy and hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing. If it does revel melanoma, be sure to seek out an oncologist that is a melonoma speciallist. There have been significant advancements in melonoma treatment within the last two years which most general practioners may not be aware of. Try not to stress out (which happens to all of us in your situation). There are many other causes for a hot spot on a scan that are not cancer. Let us know how your biopsy turns out (either way), and should it end up as melanoma, this site is fantastic for all the support by others that are fighting the fight with you. My prayers will ne with you, that your scan turn out benign.

dodgedh2
                Participant

I was originally diagnosed with Stage 4 Melanoma (located in my sacrum) with unknown primary. I had no pain and absolutly no symptoms other than fatgue. It was found during a scan taken for other unrelated issues that I was having at the time and diagnosed as melanoma when it was biopsied. I discussed this with my oncologist and he told me that it is common to have NO symptoms, sometimes until it is too late. Take no chances, have the biopsy and hopefully, it will turn out to be nothing. If it does revel melanoma, be sure to seek out an oncologist that is a melonoma speciallist. There have been significant advancements in melonoma treatment within the last two years which most general practioners may not be aware of. Try not to stress out (which happens to all of us in your situation). There are many other causes for a hot spot on a scan that are not cancer. Let us know how your biopsy turns out (either way), and should it end up as melanoma, this site is fantastic for all the support by others that are fighting the fight with you. My prayers will ne with you, that your scan turn out benign.

dodgedh2
                  Participant

dodgedh2
                    Participant

Also forgot to say, that I had multiple hot spots show up on my subsequent scans that turned out to be nothing.

dodgedh2
                      Participant

Also forgot to say, that I had multiple hot spots show up on my subsequent scans that turned out to be nothing.

dodgedh2
                        Participant

gossteach
                          Participant

Lauri- I've been thinking about you since you first posted about your recent scans. We went through interferon at the same time, and I'm coming up on my routine scans this week. I'm glad to hear the bone scan was ordered and I will be praying for a good outcome. I don't have any advice about the rib pain, but just wanted you to know that you were in my thoughts!!

Michelle

gossteach
                            Participant

Lauri- I've been thinking about you since you first posted about your recent scans. We went through interferon at the same time, and I'm coming up on my routine scans this week. I'm glad to hear the bone scan was ordered and I will be praying for a good outcome. I don't have any advice about the rib pain, but just wanted you to know that you were in my thoughts!!

Michelle

gossteach
                              Participant

Michelle

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                Participant

I had multiple bone mets in 2011.  Some were associated with pain – impinging on nerves, and in one case actually preventing motion of my arm by intruding into the rotatorcup.  But mets in my hip and femur (the biggest one) were painless – only detected by PET and MRI.  Only a biopsy can determine what this is.  Are you scheduled for a CT guided needle biopsy?  I had that.  It was a close to painless experience.

Best wishes,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                  Participant

I had multiple bone mets in 2011.  Some were associated with pain – impinging on nerves, and in one case actually preventing motion of my arm by intruding into the rotatorcup.  But mets in my hip and femur (the biggest one) were painless – only detected by PET and MRI.  Only a biopsy can determine what this is.  Are you scheduled for a CT guided needle biopsy?  I had that.  It was a close to painless experience.

Best wishes,

Harry

Lauri England
                                      Participant

The heart surgeon stated a needle biopsy was no possible because of the location of the lesion.  There are to many main arteries there by the heart.  The doctor is going to go through my left side and remove as much of the rib as he feels he needs to remove.  The incision will be aprox 2 inches long.  He said it will be painful and to be prepared.  I am very nervous.  I am being seen at the Melanoma clinic at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids Michigan.  They are awesome and very little waiting.  They are on it and I feel very comfortable that I will get the best of care.  I do recommend this place to anyone around that area…

Lauri England
                                        Participant

The heart surgeon stated a needle biopsy was no possible because of the location of the lesion.  There are to many main arteries there by the heart.  The doctor is going to go through my left side and remove as much of the rib as he feels he needs to remove.  The incision will be aprox 2 inches long.  He said it will be painful and to be prepared.  I am very nervous.  I am being seen at the Melanoma clinic at Spectrum Health in Grand Rapids Michigan.  They are awesome and very little waiting.  They are on it and I feel very comfortable that I will get the best of care.  I do recommend this place to anyone around that area…

dodgedh2
                                          Participant

Sounds like you're in good hands. When they performed the biopsy on my tumor, they also removed it immediatly. The surgeon typically removes the tumor and  a margin around the tumor (they try to get into good tissue). In my case, they also treated the area with gamma radiation as an extra measure. It helps to speak to your surgeon prior to the biopsy and ask questions. Also, if you can, have someone with you to speak to the doctor following surgery (in recovery) for their findings. I'm glad I did, because I was still partially sedated, and stressed about the situation and having somenone their allowed them to repeat the doctors findings to me when I had settles after a few days.

Remember, there are a lot of people here who have been through this, and are hear for your support too. Let us know how you make out.

dodgedh2
                                            Participant

Sounds like you're in good hands. When they performed the biopsy on my tumor, they also removed it immediatly. The surgeon typically removes the tumor and  a margin around the tumor (they try to get into good tissue). In my case, they also treated the area with gamma radiation as an extra measure. It helps to speak to your surgeon prior to the biopsy and ask questions. Also, if you can, have someone with you to speak to the doctor following surgery (in recovery) for their findings. I'm glad I did, because I was still partially sedated, and stressed about the situation and having somenone their allowed them to repeat the doctors findings to me when I had settles after a few days.

Remember, there are a lot of people here who have been through this, and are hear for your support too. Let us know how you make out.

dodgedh2
                                              Participant

Lauri England
                                                Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                                                Participant

Best wishes,

Harry

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics