The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nivo induced colitis/ treatment stopped

Forums General Melanoma Community Nivo induced colitis/ treatment stopped

Participant

I have stage 4, mets to lungs.  Started Ipi/Nivo in December but only had one dose before my thyroid gland was inflammed and destroyed.  My team decided that I should go to just Nivo after that, but now after 5 nivo treatments I have colitis (lymphocytic colitis diagnosed by biopsies during a sigmoidoscopy).  They tried budesonide (steroid that is taken orally but only affects the gut- not absorded systemically) with me but it seemed to actually make symptoms worse (diarrhea, stomach upset).  I have been on treatment pause for 6 weeks.

I have had great response with my lung mets nearly completely gone already.  My doctor now thinks that I should just stop treatment and continue with surveillance – scans every 3 months with brain MRI annually.  

I would love to be done but I am nervous about stopping.  What are some experiences others have had – do your docs stop treatment when it seems the cancer is responding and the side effects are outweighing the benefit, or do they still treat and give more aggressive steroids?

Thanks for input!

Peggy

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        AliCat61
        Participant

I'm so sorry. I don't really have any advice for dealing with the colitis. My husband has been blessed and has thus far had 3/4 out the combo treatments with none of the digestive dress that is so common. I did some research early on before starting the treatment and found that studies indicate that those with the most diverse gut bacteria, benefit the most with fewer side effects. We voluntarily gave up sugar, alcohol, red meat, and almost all prepared foods. We increased our intake of fruits, vegetables, and fermented foods like yogurt, buttermilk, sourkraut, etc, and he takes a pro-biotic daily. I can't swear that it helped. Perhaps we were just luckly but it's something you might want to consider.Perhaps you could stop the medication temporarily, and try to get your digestive system healthy and try again a later date? Prayers for you. 

UBContributor
          Participant

I think I read quite few times here that people would stop the treatment earlier than was initially planned and go on with regular checks only. Good luck and keep us updated! 

Mat
            Participant

When I had ipi-induced colitis I was on both prednisone (high does) and budesonide.  If you still have symptoms, I would ask for prednisone.  Pausing the treatment in order for the colitis to resolve is appropriate.

Mamapegela
              Participant

I already am a vegetarian and do not drink alcohol, avoid most processed foods, have been taking probiotics prior to my diagnosis.  I have cut way back on sugar ( I do have a sweet tooth!) eat greek yogurt, fermented foods and drink lots of water.  Prior to these issues I had no GI problems at atll.

I will ask my doctor this friday about the prednisone.  Again it is an issue of risk vs benefit, and I know prednisone carries it's own side effects. 

Thank you for your responses.

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics