The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NIH in Bethesda… Any luck?

Forums General Melanoma Community NIH in Bethesda… Any luck?

Participant

Hi, I am just curious if many out there have ever went to study at the NIH in Bethesda, MD. I don't see often posts about going to the NIH and their experiences. About 1.5 years ago I started a correspondence with the research nurses there, but everything was so slow. I faxed all my records and spoke to them a few times over the phone. They would never reply to me. And when I would press them, they would ask for my records again. I would told them, 'You have my records, you have my confirmations of them'. Bottom line it was so difficult, I went through other avenues.

Now, I'm at the point where I need to make decisions again, and get as many options out there that I can. To me, going for the TIL treatment seems attractive to me, but I can't find a faster track to communicate with the nurses at NIH. 

If anybody has went for study at NIH, can you share your experiences and what they were like. I'm aware it's not a "normal" consultation, but I can't seem to understand how they operate.

Thanks,

Shane

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        JC
        Participant

Are you in Illinois?  What Dr/hospital do you see in Illinois?

JC
          Participant

JC
            Participant

Cooper
              Participant

Well NIH is kind of slow on the newest treatments, they do a lot of IL2 and TIL treatment.  Then when folks fail that they send them to find PD1 trials.  Our tax dollars arent being spent good there.

Cooper
                Participant

Well NIH is kind of slow on the newest treatments, they do a lot of IL2 and TIL treatment.  Then when folks fail that they send them to find PD1 trials.  Our tax dollars arent being spent good there.

Cooper
                  Participant

Mat
                    Participant

Shane, best to have your oncologist deal with them (June Kryk?) directly.  When I was initially diagnosed, my oncologist called and I was seen within 2-3 weeks.  Didn't work out for me at that time, but not because of bureaucratic issues.

tschmith
                        Participant

My doctor referred me and I will soon be participating in a gene therapy trial at NIH.  I think it's best to have your doctor do the footwork.  I've been very happy with the quality of care I've received.

Terrie

tschmith
                          Participant

My doctor referred me and I will soon be participating in a gene therapy trial at NIH.  I think it's best to have your doctor do the footwork.  I've been very happy with the quality of care I've received.

Terrie

tschmith
                            Participant

Terrie

Mat
                            Participant

Shane, best to have your oncologist deal with them (June Kryk?) directly.  When I was initially diagnosed, my oncologist called and I was seen within 2-3 weeks.  Didn't work out for me at that time, but not because of bureaucratic issues.

Mat
                              Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics