The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NIH ACT update.

Forums General Melanoma Community NIH ACT update.

Participant

Well, I just got back from the NIH for my monthly scans and it turns out all the tumors they're tracking in my lungs are still stable and/or possibly a tiny bit smaller. Except for one, unfortunately, In my left lung (I don't know if that's their left or my left) They think and hope that this one that appears to be growing is just being defiant of the therapy for reasons we don't quite understand and hope that the others will continue to shrink and stay stable for a long time to come.

Well, I just got back from the NIH for my monthly scans and it turns out all the tumors they're tracking in my lungs are still stable and/or possibly a tiny bit smaller. Except for one, unfortunately, In my left lung (I don't know if that's their left or my left) They think and hope that this one that appears to be growing is just being defiant of the therapy for reasons we don't quite understand and hope that the others will continue to shrink and stay stable for a long time to come.

So they want me back in 4 weeks, where I will get another CT and PETscan. If the scan shows it's still the only one growing, then the next day they're growing to do surgery on my lung and remove it manually. Hopefully with small incisions, a small instrument with a camera on it and minimal downtime if I lucky. If the scans show more than the one growing, then the ACT I think will have run it course, and there will be no surgery, but hopefully other possible options.

Strange times when you find yourself hoping for lung surgery. 😉

We'll see, you know, maybe there'll be some unexplainable miracle and the thing will just disappear. Maybe everything will, and they'll just send me home with a congratulatory handshake. They say anything is possible right?

Anyway, that's my update, overall I'm doing real good, still working and living as normal as I ever did. We'll see what happens in a few weeks. I'll let you all know.

Thanks for the ongoing concern and support.
      -Kevin

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        wgalinat
        Participant
          You are in good hands pal. I’ve been there and I’m still here so the best of luck to you. Plenty of rest and a positive attitude !! Warren G
          wgalinat
          Participant
            You are in good hands pal. I’ve been there and I’m still here so the best of luck to you. Plenty of rest and a positive attitude !! Warren G
            Rocco
            Participant

Hi Kevin,

If you do have to go the surgical route, there are many of us here who have been through it.  I've had VATS (small incisions, camera, etc) twice (right and later left lungs) with very minimal downtime involved (back to work (desk job) in a week) – of course everyone is different, etc.  If they need to go with the larger incision, thorocotomy, then the recovery time is longer.  Either way many of us have been through it.  I got great responses when I reached out to this board just  prior to my first VATS – very reassuring.

Hang in there!

Rocco, IV since 2005. Ipi responder.

Rocco
              Participant

Hi Kevin,

If you do have to go the surgical route, there are many of us here who have been through it.  I've had VATS (small incisions, camera, etc) twice (right and later left lungs) with very minimal downtime involved (back to work (desk job) in a week) – of course everyone is different, etc.  If they need to go with the larger incision, thorocotomy, then the recovery time is longer.  Either way many of us have been through it.  I got great responses when I reached out to this board just  prior to my first VATS – very reassuring.

Hang in there!

Rocco, IV since 2005. Ipi responder.

jag
                Participant

Kevin,

Hoping you get an unexplainable miracle buddy.

Fingers crossed.

John

jag
                  Participant

Kevin,

Hoping you get an unexplainable miracle buddy.

Fingers crossed.

John

Fen
                    Participant

Thanks for the update, Kevin.  I know many on the board are following your progress and keeping you in their prayers – include me in that bunch.

Fen

Fen
                      Participant

Thanks for the update, Kevin.  I know many on the board are following your progress and keeping you in their prayers – include me in that bunch.

Fen

JerryfromFauq
                        Participant

Yes, this darn disease has made my hope for many things that I previously would have considered bad.  I thoroughly agree with the approach of removal of a growing tumor when the others are either staying stable or regressing.  Yes unexplained miracle do occur.  Very happy that yu to are able to continue living a good life.  From one point of view, melanoma is not totally winning as long as we can enjoy life.

JerryfromFauq
                          Participant

Yes, this darn disease has made my hope for many things that I previously would have considered bad.  I thoroughly agree with the approach of removal of a growing tumor when the others are either staying stable or regressing.  Yes unexplained miracle do occur.  Very happy that yu to are able to continue living a good life.  From one point of view, melanoma is not totally winning as long as we can enjoy life.

lhaley
                            Participant

Kevin,

Thanks for the update. Overall it sounds pretty good, just that one tumor.  I'm hoping also that the lung tumor remains stable and gives you a break for awhile.

Linda

lhaley
                              Participant

Kevin,

Thanks for the update. Overall it sounds pretty good, just that one tumor.  I'm hoping also that the lung tumor remains stable and gives you a break for awhile.

Linda

King
                                Participant

Kevin,

Thanks for the update.  Keep that positive attitude.  And, yes, I agree…it's amazing the odd things that we hope for when dealing with melanoma.  One day at a time.

Stay Strong
                                  King

Stage IV 7/05  Liver mets

King
                                  Participant

Kevin,

Thanks for the update.  Keep that positive attitude.  And, yes, I agree…it's amazing the odd things that we hope for when dealing with melanoma.  One day at a time.

Stay Strong
                                    King

Stage IV 7/05  Liver mets

Gwen in Maine
                                    Participant

Thanks for the update, Kevin. Thinking good thoughts for you.

Gwen in Maine

Gwen in Maine
                                      Participant

Thanks for the update, Kevin. Thinking good thoughts for you.

Gwen in Maine

jax2007gxp
                                        Participant

Hi Kevin,

I'm fairly new to the board, so I am reading your story for the first time.  It amazes me everyday how young some of us are.  Thank you for sharing your update.  I will add you to my prayer list…miracles happen!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up treating at NIH?

Jacki

Lisa13
                                            Participant

Attitude is everything Kevin – keep up the positive vibes!  I wish you a lung surgery in the near future. Anything is possible!

Lisa – Stage 4

Lisa13
                                              Participant

Attitude is everything Kevin – keep up the positive vibes!  I wish you a lung surgery in the near future. Anything is possible!

Lisa – Stage 4

jax2007gxp
                                              Participant

Hi Kevin,

I'm fairly new to the board, so I am reading your story for the first time.  It amazes me everyday how young some of us are.  Thank you for sharing your update.  I will add you to my prayer list…miracles happen!

If you don't mind me asking, how did you end up treating at NIH?

Jacki

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics