The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New to stage IV

Forums General Melanoma Community New to stage IV

Participant

I had a Dr appt last Thursday and found that the mass in my lung had increased in size by 30%.  I also learned I 5th rib on my left side is fractured due to Melanoma.  My doctor put me on Tafinlar + Mekinist.  I started this immediatly that day.  Now today it has been 5 days since I have been on the medication and the lump in my neck had decreased in size at least half and I can breath.  I go for my first blood work tomorrow.  I am feeling so much better.  I do have a nausea problem but I was having that before meds and I control with Zofran.  I am feeling very hopeful and actually see the doctor again next month unless I have any problems.  Thumbs up so far.  I would love to hear from anyone else that has tried this medication combination…

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        _Paul_
        Participant

Hi Laurie,

Sorry to hear you are back. I remember your posts from back when I got my initial Dx in the summer of 2012. I remember that you went through a heck of a struggle with Interferon!

I have not tried the Tafinlar + Mekinist combo myself, since I am not BRAF positive.

But many others on this board have shown a quick response to it, and its a great way to get your tumor load down before trying one of the new immunotherapy drugs (Yervoy or Opdivo/Keytruda). Is that your oncologist's plan, to start with the combo then move to immunotherapy?

– Paul

_Paul_
          Participant

Hi Laurie,

Sorry to hear you are back. I remember your posts from back when I got my initial Dx in the summer of 2012. I remember that you went through a heck of a struggle with Interferon!

I have not tried the Tafinlar + Mekinist combo myself, since I am not BRAF positive.

But many others on this board have shown a quick response to it, and its a great way to get your tumor load down before trying one of the new immunotherapy drugs (Yervoy or Opdivo/Keytruda). Is that your oncologist's plan, to start with the combo then move to immunotherapy?

– Paul

_Paul_
            Participant

Hi Laurie,

– Paul

Mat
              Participant

Lauri, I've been on the combo for approx 18 months with ipi in between.  I saw dramatic tumor reduction in the first 4 months or so and have been stable since.  Please see my prior posts and let me know if you have any other questions.

Mat
                Participant

Lauri, I've been on the combo for approx 18 months with ipi in between.  I saw dramatic tumor reduction in the first 4 months or so and have been stable since.  Please see my prior posts and let me know if you have any other questions.

Mat
                  Participant

MattF
                    Participant

That combo worked good some vomitting but ultimitely my melanoma found a way around it after 7 months.

I jumped to Yeroy then. in aug and now Keytruda in oct.

i got fast response and vomitting with Taf/Mek

MattF
                      Participant

That combo worked good some vomitting but ultimitely my melanoma found a way around it after 7 months.

MattF
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics