The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New to Nivo–caloric restriction?

Forums General Melanoma Community New to Nivo–caloric restriction?

Participant

Hello, all. I'm having my first infusion this week and am open to any tips for the newbie. What do you wish you had known for your first? Also, anyone have results–good or not–with fasting or caloric restriction for the day before/of infusions?

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        RichInLife2
        Participant

I just started nivo treatment last month. I was not advised to fast or restrict diet beforehand, so I didn't. I've actually been trying to put on a few pounds as I lost about 8-10 pounds over the summer. The only thing I was advised to do was drink lots of water, but that is good advice for any blood draw or infusion.

Good luck!

MelanomaMike
          Participant
            Hi ikb, hope yer well, you will be fine for your 1st infusion, if your into “music” bring your Walk Man/Portable radio with Headphones, my Phone works great with my awesome headphones, magazines, snacks, beverages, buy a nice BackPack for your infusions! If your doing just Opdivo (every 2 weeks) youll be in & out in like an hour (maybe a bit longer on your first introduction) first they hook yer IV up and run Sodium Chloride for like 10/15 minutes (to make sure their in a vein & to clear your system) then your Opdivo (30minutes) then a last flush again with Sodium Water (ocean water) and BLAM! your out of there! Maybe get a ride the first time just to be safe, chances are you wont be alletgic (Toxicity) to Nivo!!…Mike
            bjeans
            Participant

No food restrictions for my husband before/during/after infusions. He eats his regular breakfast and they have snacks and drinks. Afterwords he stops for lunch on his way to work.

Mike’s suggestions are great – bring stuff to do. Maybe because my husband is in a study, he’s never done in under two hours. On days with one infusion (Nivo) it’s 2 to 2.5 hours. With two infusions (Nivo/Ipi or Nivo/nothing) it’s longer. Nurse or PA check, doctor check, blood work (sometimes), wait for results, doctor gives the go-ahead, and only then are the drug(s) mixed at the pharmacy. 

Hang in there and let us know how it went.

ed williams
              Participant

Hi IBk, I bring snacks and a bagel and buy a big coffee and chocolate chip muffin to each and every treatment. You never know how long you are going to be there for, the last two treatments they mixed the drugs wrong and had to start over, so I was there for 3 to 3.5 hrs. Try to drink a lot of water the day before so the veins are easy to find. 

Viewing 3 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics