The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

NEW GROWTH

Forums General Melanoma Community NEW GROWTH

Participant

I've had four doses of PD1 and just had my first set of scans, there was some growth in a met in my spine and a new 9mm lung met and a new 1.3cm adrenal gland met. I have mets through body in the bones and in the lungs other than what I have stated everything else was stable ( no growth). Any ideas on what I should do from here, any advice would be helpful.

Thank You

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Mat
        Participant

I recently started PD-1 (2 infusions). My onc alerted me that results such as yours are possible. My impression is that she would recommend proceeding with PD-1 in such a circumstance. If you search the posts, there are a number of folks that did not show an immediate response to PD-1 at the first set of scans. (Although you didn't mention the brain, I would want my brain scanned at the sign of any progression elsewhere in the body–treat with SRS if needed, etc.)

eturner82
            Participant

Ok thank you- the doctor has stated we will contine on with more treatments of PD1. I did have a brain scan and it was clear.

eturner82
              Participant

Ok thank you- the doctor has stated we will contine on with more treatments of PD1. I did have a brain scan and it was clear.

eturner82
                Participant

Mat
                Participant

I recently started PD-1 (2 infusions). My onc alerted me that results such as yours are possible. My impression is that she would recommend proceeding with PD-1 in such a circumstance. If you search the posts, there are a number of folks that did not show an immediate response to PD-1 at the first set of scans. (Although you didn't mention the brain, I would want my brain scanned at the sign of any progression elsewhere in the body–treat with SRS if needed, etc.)

Mat
                  Participant

Bubbles
                    Participant

Mat is right!  The now, finally!!!, accepted rule with immunotherapies is:  "Give them time!!!"  Sometimes what looks like inital growth on scans is enlargement in the area of the tumor due to the infiltration of t-cells and tumor death!!!  Proceeding with additional treatment sounds good to me.  Fingers crossed that those tumors are enlarged just before their demise!!!  Wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                      Participant

Mat is right!  The now, finally!!!, accepted rule with immunotherapies is:  "Give them time!!!"  Sometimes what looks like inital growth on scans is enlargement in the area of the tumor due to the infiltration of t-cells and tumor death!!!  Proceeding with additional treatment sounds good to me.  Fingers crossed that those tumors are enlarged just before their demise!!!  Wishing you my best.  Celeste

Bubbles
                        Participant

arthurjedi007
                          Participant

One thing I would ask myself is am I feeling better? A lot of people the immunotherapies take longer to kick in than four doses. When I had three doses and the scan showed some stuff still growing the doc was almost ready to pull me off the Eap trial. Last Tuesday I got dose 15. If I'm feeling better or ok I would give it more time and make sure to have a plan b just encase. Granted what that plan b could be I have no idea. Another thing I did was compare the pet scans myself. The reports and docs did not mention spots that disappeared but when I pulled up even my relatives could see little dots that used to be there weren't there anymore.

So go with your gut feeling but I would think staying on the pd1 for now is probably a good idea.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                            Participant

One thing I would ask myself is am I feeling better? A lot of people the immunotherapies take longer to kick in than four doses. When I had three doses and the scan showed some stuff still growing the doc was almost ready to pull me off the Eap trial. Last Tuesday I got dose 15. If I'm feeling better or ok I would give it more time and make sure to have a plan b just encase. Granted what that plan b could be I have no idea. Another thing I did was compare the pet scans myself. The reports and docs did not mention spots that disappeared but when I pulled up even my relatives could see little dots that used to be there weren't there anymore.

So go with your gut feeling but I would think staying on the pd1 for now is probably a good idea.

Artie

arthurjedi007
                              Participant

Artie

Viewing 8 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics