The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

New Device to detect Melanoma?

Forums General Melanoma Community New Device to detect Melanoma?

• Replies
      MichaelFL
      Participant

I have been following this for well over a year now, and it is my understanding, the FDA vote was 8 to 7, to approve use of melafind with 1 vote of abstention.

Per the company website: A company spokesman said that the panel had voted 8-7 with one abstention since it had been made very clear that the overall gains of the Company's hand-held MelaFind device happened to outweigh its risks.

It is my opinion only, but I feel that a device such as this (or an improved type in the future) will help to eliminate unnecessary biopsies. In studies, Melafind correctly predicted 112 of 114 eligible melanomas for a "sensitivity" rate of 98%. which is higher than dermatologists, and much higher than a family doctor.

I feel that a device like this (if it is this one or another one approved down the road as the technology improves) will do two things: it will help put a stop to these dermatologists that will do biopsy after biopsy just to make a payment on their Lambourgini, and will help to put patients at ease that do the same-those that go biopsy crazy when first diagnosed.

Michael

lhaley
          Participant

Michael,

Have there been any comments on how expensive this equipment would be? Just wondering if it would only be found at major cancer centers or if it was something that would be affordable for all dermatologists.  Wouldn't that be great if family Doctors could have  one!  Think of how many people could have melanoma's diagnosed at an early stage instead of when it's already progressed……

Linda

lhaley
            Participant

Michael,

Have there been any comments on how expensive this equipment would be? Just wondering if it would only be found at major cancer centers or if it was something that would be affordable for all dermatologists.  Wouldn't that be great if family Doctors could have  one!  Think of how many people could have melanoma's diagnosed at an early stage instead of when it's already progressed……

Linda

MichaelFL
            Participant

I have been following this for well over a year now, and it is my understanding, the FDA vote was 8 to 7, to approve use of melafind with 1 vote of abstention.

Per the company website: A company spokesman said that the panel had voted 8-7 with one abstention since it had been made very clear that the overall gains of the Company's hand-held MelaFind device happened to outweigh its risks.

It is my opinion only, but I feel that a device such as this (or an improved type in the future) will help to eliminate unnecessary biopsies. In studies, Melafind correctly predicted 112 of 114 eligible melanomas for a "sensitivity" rate of 98%. which is higher than dermatologists, and much higher than a family doctor.

I feel that a device like this (if it is this one or another one approved down the road as the technology improves) will do two things: it will help put a stop to these dermatologists that will do biopsy after biopsy just to make a payment on their Lambourgini, and will help to put patients at ease that do the same-those that go biopsy crazy when first diagnosed.

Michael

JerryfromFauq
              Participant

Thanks for the update.  I was following this a while back, but with my distraction, I forgot about it.  The cost was one of my concerns about availability at the first reading, if the testing worked out.

JerryfromFauq
                Participant

Thanks for the update.  I was following this a while back, but with my distraction, I forgot about it.  The cost was one of my concerns about availability at the first reading, if the testing worked out.

Joan C
                  Participant

I am not sure exactly how this works.  It sounds like it emits lightwave thru the lesion and then the software compares characteristics of the lesion against a database of melanoma traits.

I wonder if the intent is to use it on all lesions, or just those suspected of being melanoma?

lhaley
                      Participant

I went to my derm this afternoon so I asked him about this. He said he had been to a conference last year and the discussion became heated. He said it's not as simple as it sounds. It would be one mole at a time and then the computer does it's thing. He said that the person performing the test – in his opinion – needs to be a dermopatholgist to then analyze the data that is received.  Not sure if his comment was just being defensive or not.  He also said that it the equipment would be very expensive and his thoughts would only be for large institutions. 

I gathered that the testing was run by the company that makes the equipment and software. 

It made for an interesting discussion and I'm sure my appointment then took much longer than he had originally planned! lol   But, he said my skin looked good with no changes!!

Linda

lhaley
                        Participant

I went to my derm this afternoon so I asked him about this. He said he had been to a conference last year and the discussion became heated. He said it's not as simple as it sounds. It would be one mole at a time and then the computer does it's thing. He said that the person performing the test – in his opinion – needs to be a dermopatholgist to then analyze the data that is received.  Not sure if his comment was just being defensive or not.  He also said that it the equipment would be very expensive and his thoughts would only be for large institutions. 

I gathered that the testing was run by the company that makes the equipment and software. 

It made for an interesting discussion and I'm sure my appointment then took much longer than he had originally planned! lol   But, he said my skin looked good with no changes!!

Linda

Joan C
                        Participant

I am not sure exactly how this works.  It sounds like it emits lightwave thru the lesion and then the software compares characteristics of the lesion against a database of melanoma traits.

I wonder if the intent is to use it on all lesions, or just those suspected of being melanoma?

Viewing 5 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics