The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Nervous about scans :(

Forums General Melanoma Community Nervous about scans :(

Participant

My husband has been on Keytruda since mid-November, and we added low-dose Yervoy to that just three weeks ago. On Wednesday we'll find out the results of his latest PET scan, which will tell us if Keytruda is working or not.

In most ways he seems like he's improving (a little more energy, much better mobility), but his MRI in January showed a new spot in his brain. The spot is very small and it's possible it cropped up before he started Keytruda, since they were comparing the January MRI to his last MRI in August, which did not show the new spot. But like I said, he only started Keytruda in November. But there are also other possible explanations for his improved mobility (which has seemed like the biggest clue that Keytruda is working), since he did get a steroid epidural when he started Keytruda, too. He is getting SRS for the little spot in his brain tomorrow.

I'm really nervous. I wish I could just fast-forward to Wednesday and stop dreading it. I feel like I should be optimistic — he definitely hasn't gotten WORSE since starting Keytruda in November, and really in most ways seems better — but the improvement has been pretty slow and he is still extremely fatigued (sleeps 15-18 hours a day) and experiences nausea every day. Our life is definitely still very much in "sick person mode." I guess that could also just be the immunotherapy doing its thing, though.

Sigh. I don't have any questions. I'm just nervous and sad. I knew you guys would understand.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        Zoe6565
        Participant

Hi there, 

just wanted to share that we also are having an important appointment tomorrow for my husband ( stage 4 since April 2017). I completely understand how you feel, just like you mentioned, Waiting for scan result is the most stressful situation I’ve ever been in, you know! Reading through positive and hopeful stories in this forum has been a tremendous help for both of us! ( aside from anti anxiety medicine I take) 

anyway just wanted to tell you, you are not alone 🙂 I am sure you will come back with one of these positive and hopeful posts on Wednesday, for many others like myself to read!

best of luck

Zoe

GeoTony
          Participant

Totally hear you, good luck for tomorrow

Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics