The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need some hope for my sister

Forums General Melanoma Community Need some hope for my sister

Participant

Hi – I am new to this board but wanted to share my story to see if there is anyone who could offer any advice/suggestions.  My sister (45) was diagnosed with Stage 3 in 2009, did interferon for a year and scans were coming back clean until August 2011 where a spot on the lung was seen.  She did very well on the interferon, some hair loss and fatigue but was still able to  live life.  She started Yervoy (ipi) in September and finished her last dose in mid November.  The first 2 treatments she did great but around the 3rd one she had developed a pretty

Hi – I am new to this board but wanted to share my story to see if there is anyone who could offer any advice/suggestions.  My sister (45) was diagnosed with Stage 3 in 2009, did interferon for a year and scans were coming back clean until August 2011 where a spot on the lung was seen.  She did very well on the interferon, some hair loss and fatigue but was still able to  live life.  She started Yervoy (ipi) in September and finished her last dose in mid November.  The first 2 treatments she did great but around the 3rd one she had developed a pretty severe cough.   Around Thanksgiving she was battling severe exhaustion.  By mid December she was in the hospital getting an IV for nourishment as she was so exhausted she couldn't eat.  By end of December she was back in hospital with pnemonia.  Her scans continue to show growth.  We were really hoping to get her into a clincial trial at Sloane Kettering in NYC for the anti PD 1 trial drug but she's too weak to qualify at this point.  She is now home under the care of hospice and has difficulty eating due to her cough.  We are trying to get her to eat but it's hard. We are still praying the Yervoy drug can help but at this point I just don't know.  End of Jan will be 20 weeks on the Yervoy which is known to take a while to work.  Is there anything else we can be doing for her at this point to help her get her strenght back to continue to fight this…I refuse to give up and have this horrible disease take my sister.

thank you

Stacie

Viewing 20 reply threads
    • Replies
        deardad
        Participant

Stacie,

Im very sorry to hear that your sister is so unwell. I cannot comment on Yervoy but just wanted to say…hang in there and don't give up hope. You haven't posted a profile so I'm not sure how much your sister's disease has spread and to where, but perhaps do that so that more experienced ones can give you more accurate advice.

Try to look after yourself and I hope that Yervoy kicks in soon. Does she have the BRAF mutation? This might ease her systems? Is surgery an option?

Let us know a bit more.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

sj541
            Participant

thank you so much Nahmi for your response.  Unfortunately she doesn't have the BRAF mutation so can't try the drug focused on that.  She was tested negative.  She had surgery when it was stage 3 but once it spread to her lung the doctors said surgery wasn't really an option therefore put her on Yervoy. 

thanks, Stacie from New York

sj541
              Participant

thank you so much Nahmi for your response.  Unfortunately she doesn't have the BRAF mutation so can't try the drug focused on that.  She was tested negative.  She had surgery when it was stage 3 but once it spread to her lung the doctors said surgery wasn't really an option therefore put her on Yervoy. 

sj541
                Participant

deardad
                Participant

Stacie,

Im very sorry to hear that your sister is so unwell. I cannot comment on Yervoy but just wanted to say…hang in there and don't give up hope. You haven't posted a profile so I'm not sure how much your sister's disease has spread and to where, but perhaps do that so that more experienced ones can give you more accurate advice.

Try to look after yourself and I hope that Yervoy kicks in soon. Does she have the BRAF mutation? This might ease her systems? Is surgery an option?

Let us know a bit more.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

deardad
                  Participant

Stacie,

Let us know a bit more.

Take care

Nahmi from Melbourne

FormerCaregiver
                    Participant

Stacie, welcome to our forum. The cough could be an unusual side effect of Yervoy, or it
                      might be due to another cause. See:
                      http://cancerhelp.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/treatment/cancer-drugs/ipililumab
                      "Increased risk of getting an infection from a drop in white blood cells – it is harder
                      to fight infections and you can become very ill. You may have headaches, aching muscles,
                      a cough, sore throat, pain passing urine or feel cold and shivery."

Has your sister had a CT and/or a PET scan since the cough developed? Has she had any
                      radiation treatment at all? I assume that she has had blood tests recently. If so, what
                      did the doctor say about her results and condition?

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

sj541
                        Participant

Hi Frank, thanks for your response.  Well, she has tumors in her lungs so hence the cough.  A big tumor is pressing on her lungs.  The last set of scans were end of December that showed more growth (at that point though she had only been on the Yervoy for about 16 weeks which is not a long time according to the studies).  We asked about radiation and chemo but were told due to the locations of the tumors and her weakened state, it really wasn't a good option. She was released from the hospital on Jan 3rd – the doctors pretty much gave her a few months which we just couldn't accept.  We brought her home under hospice care and she got better than when she was in the hospital so that gave us hope.  Last week she had a great week, was walking with her walker and eating more.  This week she is not so good, sleeps more and hasn't been out of bed.  The cough got worse this week.   We are really trying to get her strong enough to take her in for another scan end of Jan which would be 20 weeks on Yervoy.

thank you

Stacie from New York

sj541
                          Participant

Hi Frank, thanks for your response.  Well, she has tumors in her lungs so hence the cough.  A big tumor is pressing on her lungs.  The last set of scans were end of December that showed more growth (at that point though she had only been on the Yervoy for about 16 weeks which is not a long time according to the studies).  We asked about radiation and chemo but were told due to the locations of the tumors and her weakened state, it really wasn't a good option. She was released from the hospital on Jan 3rd – the doctors pretty much gave her a few months which we just couldn't accept.  We brought her home under hospice care and she got better than when she was in the hospital so that gave us hope.  Last week she had a great week, was walking with her walker and eating more.  This week she is not so good, sleeps more and hasn't been out of bed.  The cough got worse this week.   We are really trying to get her strong enough to take her in for another scan end of Jan which would be 20 weeks on Yervoy.

thank you

Stacie from New York

sj541
                            Participant

thank you

Stacie from New York

FormerCaregiver
                              Participant

Stacie, I am surprised that you were told that chemo wasn't a good option at the moment. Perhaps you could get a second opinion about that?

Can you tell me more about her treatment history? Apart from Yervoy, what melanoma treatments has she had? If you have a copy of her latest scan report, it would be an idea to post the details here.

Take care

Frank from Australia

sj541
                                Participant

Thanks Frank, she had surgery for the area and surrounding lymph nodes (groin and stomach) when first diagnosed in 2009 then did interferon for a year.  In August 2011 her scan showed a spot on her lung so that is when they purt her on Yervoy.   When we asked about chemo when she was in the hospital recently they said it kills your immune system so would wipe out any possible impact of the Yervoy (her doctors are in Syracuse, NY).  We did send her scans to Sloane Kettering in NYC and had an appoitment in early December where they confirmed her current path of treatment was correct, the next step with them was for SK to review her latest scan in December and they said based on the amount of growth from her December scan they would either recommend doing nothing (let Yervoy continue) or a clinical trial – either a chemo mix or anti pd 1.  She got so sick we couldn't even do any of that even if we wanted to so put things on hold until we got her home.  I am now going to be following up with Sloane to get thier opinion, even if she's still too weak for additional treatment I want to know what they would have recommended if she didn't get so weak so soon.  

sj541
                                  Participant

Thanks Frank, she had surgery for the area and surrounding lymph nodes (groin and stomach) when first diagnosed in 2009 then did interferon for a year.  In August 2011 her scan showed a spot on her lung so that is when they purt her on Yervoy.   When we asked about chemo when she was in the hospital recently they said it kills your immune system so would wipe out any possible impact of the Yervoy (her doctors are in Syracuse, NY).  We did send her scans to Sloane Kettering in NYC and had an appoitment in early December where they confirmed her current path of treatment was correct, the next step with them was for SK to review her latest scan in December and they said based on the amount of growth from her December scan they would either recommend doing nothing (let Yervoy continue) or a clinical trial – either a chemo mix or anti pd 1.  She got so sick we couldn't even do any of that even if we wanted to so put things on hold until we got her home.  I am now going to be following up with Sloane to get thier opinion, even if she's still too weak for additional treatment I want to know what they would have recommended if she didn't get so weak so soon.  

sj541
                                    Participant

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

Stacie, I am surprised that you were told that chemo wasn't a good option at the moment. Perhaps you could get a second opinion about that?

Can you tell me more about her treatment history? Apart from Yervoy, what melanoma treatments has she had? If you have a copy of her latest scan report, it would be an idea to post the details here.

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

Stacie, welcome to our forum. The cough could be an unusual side effect of Yervoy, or it
                                          http://cancerhelp.cancerresearchuk.org/about-cancer/treatment/cancer-drugs/ipililumab
                                          "Increased risk of getting an infection from a drop in white blood cells – it is harder
                                          to fight infections and you can become very ill. You may have headaches, aching muscles,

Has your sister had a CT and/or a PET scan since the cough developed? Has she had any
                                          radiation treatment at all? I assume that she has had blood tests recently. If so, what

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                          Participant

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

davidfromsingapore
                                            Participant

HI Stacie

I too do not have experience with Yervoy, but I want you to know that I am thinking and praying for you and your sister.  I started Zelboraf about a month ago – and so far so good.  It is a temporary solution, in that it doens't work long term, but hopefully it will keep the diease at bay and give me time to work on my plan B.  Still don't know what that is – but very well might be Yervoy.  

Zelboraf does also come with it's share of side effects, but they are manageable.  Perhaps it is worth asking the docs.  I know in some cases people are taking the drugs simultanesouly.  And I agree that it is worth looking in to Anti PD1.  Don't give up hope.  Be the cheerleader for the sister.  For me – that cheerleader is a very important person.  

Sincerely, David

sj541
                                                Participant

thank you David for your response.  I am praying for your health too.  Unfortunately my sister didn't test positve for the BFAF gene so didn't quality for Zelboraf.  We were planning to get her into an anti PD 1 trial but she got so sick in December and is now bedridden.  We are trying to get her stronger so she could qualify for a trial.  It's so frustrating.   We are her cheerleaders for sure.  I wish you the best of luck with your treatment.

sj541
                                                  Participant

thank you David for your response.  I am praying for your health too.  Unfortunately my sister didn't test positve for the BFAF gene so didn't quality for Zelboraf.  We were planning to get her into an anti PD 1 trial but she got so sick in December and is now bedridden.  We are trying to get her stronger so she could qualify for a trial.  It's so frustrating.   We are her cheerleaders for sure.  I wish you the best of luck with your treatment.

sj541
                                                    Participant

davidfromsingapore
                                                    Participant

HI Stacie

I too do not have experience with Yervoy, but I want you to know that I am thinking and praying for you and your sister.  I started Zelboraf about a month ago – and so far so good.  It is a temporary solution, in that it doens't work long term, but hopefully it will keep the diease at bay and give me time to work on my plan B.  Still don't know what that is – but very well might be Yervoy.  

Zelboraf does also come with it's share of side effects, but they are manageable.  Perhaps it is worth asking the docs.  I know in some cases people are taking the drugs simultanesouly.  And I agree that it is worth looking in to Anti PD1.  Don't give up hope.  Be the cheerleader for the sister.  For me – that cheerleader is a very important person.  

Sincerely, David

davidfromsingapore
                                                      Participant

HI Stacie

Sincerely, David

LynnLuc
                                                        Participant

I hope your sister gets stronger and can get on anti PD 1. I am doing it now as a booster every 3 months and I am well.. 

I have a dumb question about hospice…I thought once you are on hospice they won't admit you into any clinical trials or do treatments…am I misinformed about that?    Lynn

sj541
                                                            Participant

Thank you Lynn, good to hear from you again. Not sure if you remember me but we talked in Inspire quite a bit.  So glad to hear you continue to be well.  That's not a dumb question at all, while it's true hospice deals with end of life situations, they also provide comfort care to help people get stronger.  That's what our goal is with engaging hospice..we are hoping to give her more time for the Yervoy to work and for her to get stronger.  She absolutely wanted out of the hospital which I can't blame her for. 

sj541
                                                              Participant

Thank you Lynn, good to hear from you again. Not sure if you remember me but we talked in Inspire quite a bit.  So glad to hear you continue to be well.  That's not a dumb question at all, while it's true hospice deals with end of life situations, they also provide comfort care to help people get stronger.  That's what our goal is with engaging hospice..we are hoping to give her more time for the Yervoy to work and for her to get stronger.  She absolutely wanted out of the hospital which I can't blame her for. 

sj541
                                                                Participant

LynnLuc
                                                                Participant

I hope your sister gets stronger and can get on anti PD 1. I am doing it now as a booster every 3 months and I am well.. 

I have a dumb question about hospice…I thought once you are on hospice they won't admit you into any clinical trials or do treatments…am I misinformed about that?    Lynn

LynnLuc
                                                                  Participant

cltml
                                                                    Participant

Stacie,

You don't mention what the doctors are doing to contol the cough, so I wanted to throw my 2 cents in on my personal experience.

I too, have had problems with coughing to the point of exhaustion and breathlessness due to lung mets.  It doesn't seem to be as bad as your sister though and hope she's finding some relief.

Something that has helped me immensely, and I found out accidently, is that taking opiates controls the cough.  One night, I took some left over hydrocodone from a craniotomy that I had last year to address some pain.  I took two more six hours later early AM.  I noticed that the next day, I got about six blessed hours of greatly reduced coughing.  I started working with my doc and experimented with some other meds and finally have my coughing under control until about 4:00 PM.  It comes back then and then I have to struggle thru the rest of the day until I can get horizontal again.

Here are the specifics.  I now take 2 tablets of Norco, three times per day, 8:00 pm, 2:00 am (or whenever) and then about 10:00 am.  My Norco is 5mg hydrocodone and 375mg acetaminophin.  I tried 5mg Oxycodone so that I could avoid the potential liver damange due to prolonged used of acetaminophin.  It didn't work as well for me, so I'm back to Norco.  I also tried taking two 5mg Tessalon Pearls instead.  Tessalon is not an opiate, but supresses the cough reflex.  That didn't do much for me.  My doctor friends have alway expressed that drugs effect everyone somewhat differently, so your sister's mileage may vary.

My doctors have told me that at this dosage, I neither have to worry about side effects nor addiction. 

I hope that this helps your sister.

cltml

cltml
                                                                      Participant

Stacie,

You don't mention what the doctors are doing to contol the cough, so I wanted to throw my 2 cents in on my personal experience.

I too, have had problems with coughing to the point of exhaustion and breathlessness due to lung mets.  It doesn't seem to be as bad as your sister though and hope she's finding some relief.

Something that has helped me immensely, and I found out accidently, is that taking opiates controls the cough.  One night, I took some left over hydrocodone from a craniotomy that I had last year to address some pain.  I took two more six hours later early AM.  I noticed that the next day, I got about six blessed hours of greatly reduced coughing.  I started working with my doc and experimented with some other meds and finally have my coughing under control until about 4:00 PM.  It comes back then and then I have to struggle thru the rest of the day until I can get horizontal again.

Here are the specifics.  I now take 2 tablets of Norco, three times per day, 8:00 pm, 2:00 am (or whenever) and then about 10:00 am.  My Norco is 5mg hydrocodone and 375mg acetaminophin.  I tried 5mg Oxycodone so that I could avoid the potential liver damange due to prolonged used of acetaminophin.  It didn't work as well for me, so I'm back to Norco.  I also tried taking two 5mg Tessalon Pearls instead.  Tessalon is not an opiate, but supresses the cough reflex.  That didn't do much for me.  My doctor friends have alway expressed that drugs effect everyone somewhat differently, so your sister's mileage may vary.

My doctors have told me that at this dosage, I neither have to worry about side effects nor addiction. 

cltml

cltml
                                                                        Participant

Stacie,

cltml

sj541
                                                                          Participant

Hi everyone – I just wanted to let you know that my sister Karen passed away peacefully at her home on January 26th, she was 45.  She fought this horrible disease with all her might and put a up a fight until the end.  I was grateful to have been with her during her final hours.  I want to thank everyone who responded to my post with words of support, hope and encouragement.  You are all true fighters and I hope you all continue to fight and beat this disease.  I am now much more educated about melanoma and plan to become an advocate to do what I can in support of research and awareness. 

thank you and God Bless

Stacie from New York (sister to Karen, stage 4)

sj541
                                                                            Participant

Hi everyone – I just wanted to let you know that my sister Karen passed away peacefully at her home on January 26th, she was 45.  She fought this horrible disease with all her might and put a up a fight until the end.  I was grateful to have been with her during her final hours.  I want to thank everyone who responded to my post with words of support, hope and encouragement.  You are all true fighters and I hope you all continue to fight and beat this disease.  I am now much more educated about melanoma and plan to become an advocate to do what I can in support of research and awareness. 

thank you and God Bless

sj541
                                                                              Participant

thank you and God Bless

sj541
                                                                                Participant

thank you and God Bless

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                    Participant

Stacie, I am deeply saddened to read that your sister has passed away. Please accept my sincere condolences.

May God bless you.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                      Participant

Stacie, I am deeply saddened to read that your sister has passed away. Please accept my sincere condolences.

May God bless you.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                                                        Participant

May God bless you.

Frank from Australia

justlittleoleme
                                                                                          Participant

Stacie,

I am so sorry for your loss of your sister Karen.  You were a wonderful caregiver.  May God comfort you and your family during your season of grief.

barb

justlittleoleme
                                                                                            Participant

Stacie,

I am so sorry for your loss of your sister Karen.  You were a wonderful caregiver.  May God comfort you and your family during your season of grief.

barb

justlittleoleme
                                                                                              Participant

Stacie,

barb

dearfoam
                                                                                                Participant

Stacie,

I wanted to express my sympathy with your sister's passing, and thank you for your reply to my post last month when it was my dad's time. It has been hard to come back to this board for me o catch up.

I wish you therelief,  peace, and comfort that is sure to come though we all experience grief in different ways.

Best,

-DF

sj541
                                                                                                  Participant

Thank you so much for your reply and kind words.  We are just trying to take it day by day and remember all of our fun memories.  I wish you relief, peace and comfort as well.

Stacie

sj541
                                                                                                    Participant

Thank you so much for your reply and kind words.  We are just trying to take it day by day and remember all of our fun memories.  I wish you relief, peace and comfort as well.

Stacie

sj541
                                                                                                      Participant

Stacie

dearfoam
                                                                                                        Participant

Stacie,

I wanted to express my sympathy with your sister's passing, and thank you for your reply to my post last month when it was my dad's time. It has been hard to come back to this board for me o catch up.

I wish you therelief,  peace, and comfort that is sure to come though we all experience grief in different ways.

Best,

-DF

dearfoam
                                                                                                          Participant

Stacie,

Best,

-DF

sj541
                                                                                                          Participant

thank you and God Bless

sj541
                                                                                                            Participant

thank you and God Bless

Viewing 20 reply threads
                                                                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics