The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need help with results

Forums General Melanoma Community Need help with results

Participant

Hi everyone.  I've got my test results back which are below and I need your input as far as the regression aspect is concerned.  This is my third primary melanoma, the 1st one was a in situ melanoma (not 100% sure if there was regression with this one or not) 11 years ago, and this mole or an unknown primary nine months later metastised to my groin lymph node, (Stage III).  6 years ago I also had a 3.55 millimetre desmoplastic melanoma – no regression

The latest one is as detailed below

Clinical Details

Hi everyone.  I've got my test results back which are below and I need your input as far as the regression aspect is concerned.  This is my third primary melanoma, the 1st one was a in situ melanoma (not 100% sure if there was regression with this one or not) 11 years ago, and this mole or an unknown primary nine months later metastised to my groin lymph node, (Stage III).  6 years ago I also had a 3.55 millimetre desmoplastic melanoma – no regression

The latest one is as detailed below

Clinical Details

Dysplastic Naevus

Macroscopic

The specimen is an elliptical excision of skin measuring 15 x 8 x 5 mm.  On the surface, there is a pigmented lesion measuring 9 x6 mm. 3 transverse sections .(pa)

Microscopic

This lesion is a Level 1 (in situ) superficial spreading malignant melanoma.  This has arisen within a dysplastic naevus. There is no evidence of ulceration or dermal invasion.  Mild changes of regression are present.  The mitotic rate is low (<1/mm square).  No satellite lesions are present.  The close peripheral margin is 1.3 mmm

summary

Left upper back:  Levl 1 (in situ) superficial spreading malignant Melanoma.

My question is the regression aspect.  i don't understand if this is a good sign or not.  Does it mean that it may have been deeper and my immune system is finally recognising it, or does it mean something else?

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Regression is evidence of destruction of some of the melanoma cells caused by immune factors. In relation to your question. it depends on which doctor you ask, as some say that it is good as your body (immune system) was attacking the melanoma cells, while others say It is a weakly negative factor in prognosis because the tumor may actually have been deeper. 

When the pathologist sees an area of a melanoma under the microscope in which the expected melanoma cells are absent and immune cells (lymphocytes) are present, the observation of "regression" is made. Pathologists can sometimes "see" regression as white/pink areas within the brown-black melanoma.

In some studies, having regression is a weakly negative prognostic factor. In other studies it seems not to matter.

Yours says mild regression, so it would seem that would be in your favor.

Michael

MichaelFL
            Participant

Oh, and here is a study you might like to read. 🙂

It involves 146 melanoma patients that had a SNB, and they felt it was favorable concerning having regression in thin melanomas.

http://jcp.bmj.com/content/early/2007/08/03/jcp.2007.049411.abstract

Conclusion: Our findings suggest that regression is usually a favourable process particularly in thin melanomas and that metastasis in "thin melanomas showing regression" is real but rare. Variant vertical growth phase , mitoses and other prognostically significant variables may be more important predictors of metastatic potential in thin melanomas.

Michael

Nicky
              Participant

Thanks for your help MichaelFL.  I really appreciate it.

Nicky
                Participant

Thanks for your help MichaelFL.  I really appreciate it.

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Oh, and here is a study you might like to read. 🙂

It involves 146 melanoma patients that had a SNB, and they felt it was favorable concerning having regression in thin melanomas.

http://jcp.bmj.com/content/early/2007/08/03/jcp.2007.049411.abstract

Conclusion: Our findings suggest that regression is usually a favourable process particularly in thin melanomas and that metastasis in "thin melanomas showing regression" is real but rare. Variant vertical growth phase , mitoses and other prognostically significant variables may be more important predictors of metastatic potential in thin melanomas.

Michael

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Regression is evidence of destruction of some of the melanoma cells caused by immune factors. In relation to your question. it depends on which doctor you ask, as some say that it is good as your body (immune system) was attacking the melanoma cells, while others say It is a weakly negative factor in prognosis because the tumor may actually have been deeper. 

When the pathologist sees an area of a melanoma under the microscope in which the expected melanoma cells are absent and immune cells (lymphocytes) are present, the observation of "regression" is made. Pathologists can sometimes "see" regression as white/pink areas within the brown-black melanoma.

In some studies, having regression is a weakly negative prognostic factor. In other studies it seems not to matter.

Yours says mild regression, so it would seem that would be in your favor.

Michael

Viewing 1 reply thread
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics