The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Need Advice on different treatment please

Forums General Melanoma Community Need Advice on different treatment please

Participant

My husband made it through three treatments on the opdivo/yervoy combo.  Had to stop because of the side effects he was experiencing.  We are meeting with his doctor next Wednesday to discuss other options. He mentioned trying Keytruda or going ahead with opdivo alone.  Any help/suggestions will be helpful in making a decision.  By the way–the treatments that he had did make a difference in the size of the tumors–they all shrunk except adrenal glands and doctor said they still had the possibility of shrinking.

I learn so much from this board–thanks to all who post. I rejoice when I read the good news of someone responding to their treatment and I am sad when someone has to post that treatment has to stop because it didn't help.

Thank you!

Jim's wife

Viewing 4 reply threads
    • Replies
        jennunicorn
        Participant

It is definitely not uncommon to skip the last combo infusion and go straight to Nivo (Opdivo) maintanence. Sorry he's dealing with side effects, I had the most side effects right after my 4th combo infusion, but since being on Nivo alone I haven't dealt with any major side effects and have felt a lot better. Glad to hear it's working for your husband.

ReallyAgain
            Participant

What were the side effects?

Best,

smiller
              Participant

My husband's side effects were –pancreatic issues, fever, vomitting, rash, diarrhea, extremely dry mouth and he lost 38 lbs.

Jim's wife

jennunicorn
                Participant
                  The worst I’ve experienced was alost 3 week fever, no appetite, liver enzymes high, inflammation everywhere including spleen. But, it all went away and I just deal with minor side effects now. All the side effects I’ve experienced are in my profile if you want more details.
                sister of patient
                Participant

Hi – So glad your husband is responding!! My sister could only have 2 combo infusions before a major side affect from ipi but has done really well since then on nivo only. Best wishes to you both!

Barb 

ReallyAgain
                    Participant

Thanks!

sister of patient
                      Participant

Hi – The ipi attacked her retinas in her eyes unfortunately and that was the end of it (the damage is permanent). But even the two infusions (we believe) made a difference 🙂

Barb

Hi.  I had only two treatments if Yervoy/Opdivo before stopping due to side effects.  Like your husband I had many tumors shrink from the treatment.  After a brain tumor appeared 5 months after stopping treatment I was able to restart the Opdivo and have seen slow but steady tumor shrinkage with the exception of the brain tumor which was removed surgically and then treated with radiation.  So far I haven't had side effects from the Opdivo.  Good wishes to you and your husband.

ReallyAgain
                        Participant

Thanks!

lshepard27
                          Participant

How long did you have the treatment before stopping?  DId you have 2 treatments of Yervoy/Opdivo and then Opdivo only for a long time?  My partner has stage 4 melanoma with three tumors in the brain and some in lungs and liver.

He only could handle one treatment of Yervoy/Opdivo.  And is now on Opdivo every two weeks. No side effects. And will be for the next 18 months. He's part of an experimental treatment at Georgetown.  He had surgery to remove three brain tumors. The immunotherapy seems to be shrinking the 3 remaining in the brain.  This is tough stuff.    

Mat
                          Participant

I had 3 combo infusions in Jan-March 2016 and then moved to Opdivo only.  I was able to tolerate the every 2-week schedule for the balance of 2016 while managing side effects.  In 2017, I moved to an every 12-week schedule due to side effects (mostly arthritis).  I have stable disease and possibly better.

tanusharma
                            Participant

Pharmascience Health Gainer for Weight gain

Mens need many calorie requirements that many men have proves to be incredibly trying Pharmascience health gainer a weight gainer makes this far easier. If you consider the fact that there are weight gainers available that pack in over a thousand calories per shake

For more visit
                              ……………………………………………………..

Weight Gainer

Viewing 4 reply threads
                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics