The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Neck lymph node dissection completed. Feeling like a warrior.. not so much

Forums General Melanoma Community Neck lymph node dissection completed. Feeling like a warrior.. not so much

Participant

Surgery for my  left neck dissection was last Tuesday and I am finally feeling well enough post.  What a mentally and physically rough ride- but as with most things in life the "This too shall pass"  mantra was true and each day got a little better.  I was discharged thursday (with drains pulled!) and was never so grateful for my own bed.  My surgeon is Dr. Kelly Malloy at U of M and I can't say enough about the great care I got there.  My post op visit is this coming wednesday and I hope to get the path results then too.  Then, on to the next part where I meet the oncologist and discuss treatment options.  What a wild ride. 

I took a short walk outside today-it has been a sublime spring weekend in Michigan and it did me a world of good. 

Thanks for being a support for me and for each other. 

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

LNDs are a bear, Peggy, and I'm glad you're on the mend.  Post when you get your path results and here's hoping they're clear.

Fen
          Participant

LNDs are a bear, Peggy, and I'm glad you're on the mend.  Post when you get your path results and here's hoping they're clear.

Fen
            Participant

Lori Ann
              Participant

I too had a (right) neck dissection!  They were thinking they might do both sides!  Boy, am I glad they didn't.  My lymph nodes were clear but I had a tumor in the back of my nose.  I'm weighing my options as I already did radiation last year.  good luck.  Would like to hear what options you were given!

Mamapegela
                  Participant

Isn't that a rough surgery?  I wasn't really prepared for how badly I would feel for the first 48 hours, but maybe it is just as well as I went in to it feeling low anxiety and a "let's get this over with" attitude.  Anyway, I am glad to be in the company of people who know what it is like.  I will post here again as soon as I have my appointment with my oncologist which I hope is going to be relatively soon.  My surgeon did mention radiation as one possiblility.  How did that go for you?

Thanks for reaching out.  I really appreciate it.

Mamapegela
                    Participant

Isn't that a rough surgery?  I wasn't really prepared for how badly I would feel for the first 48 hours, but maybe it is just as well as I went in to it feeling low anxiety and a "let's get this over with" attitude.  Anyway, I am glad to be in the company of people who know what it is like.  I will post here again as soon as I have my appointment with my oncologist which I hope is going to be relatively soon.  My surgeon did mention radiation as one possiblility.  How did that go for you?

Lori Ann
                      Participant

Maybe that's how they handle these surgeries in particular because I wasn't prepared either!  I've had surgery before and didn't think anything of this one.  I woke up and I couldn't lift my head. 

I had 6 weeks of radiation therapy.  I drove myself and, other than the anxiety of the unknown at the first 1-2 visits, it went fine.  My cancer was in my nose which affected my mouth, and I lost my sense of smell and taste for a while.  Everything came back though!  There were a few days that I was tired.  The last week and for a couple of weeks after I was done I had major fatigue but it was off and on.  I consider myself fairly active.  I work out and do some light running.  But it took me a while to get that kind of energy back.  Honestly, if it was an option for me to do it again, I would.

Let me know how your appointment goes!

Lori Ann
                        Participant

Maybe that's how they handle these surgeries in particular because I wasn't prepared either!  I've had surgery before and didn't think anything of this one.  I woke up and I couldn't lift my head. 

I had 6 weeks of radiation therapy.  I drove myself and, other than the anxiety of the unknown at the first 1-2 visits, it went fine.  My cancer was in my nose which affected my mouth, and I lost my sense of smell and taste for a while.  Everything came back though!  There were a few days that I was tired.  The last week and for a couple of weeks after I was done I had major fatigue but it was off and on.  I consider myself fairly active.  I work out and do some light running.  But it took me a while to get that kind of energy back.  Honestly, if it was an option for me to do it again, I would.

Lori Ann
                          Participant

Mamapegela
                            Participant

Lori Ann
                            Participant

I too had a (right) neck dissection!  They were thinking they might do both sides!  Boy, am I glad they didn't.  My lymph nodes were clear but I had a tumor in the back of my nose.  I'm weighing my options as I already did radiation last year.  good luck.  Would like to hear what options you were given!

Lori Ann
                              Participant

Lori Ann
                                Participant

You've been on my mind.  How are you doing?

Mamapegela
                                    Participant

Hi Lori Ann-

I clearly don't check back on my old posts regularly.  I am doing fine- about to start a clinical trial.  I am going to post today to the site with me latest adventures at MD Anderson and their recommendations.  Hope all is well with you.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                      Participant

Hi Lori Ann-

I clearly don't check back on my old posts regularly.  I am doing fine- about to start a clinical trial.  I am going to post today to the site with me latest adventures at MD Anderson and their recommendations.  Hope all is well with you.

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                        Participant

Hi Lori Ann-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                          Participant

Hi Lori Ann-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                            Participant

Hi Lori Ann-

Peggy

Mamapegela
                                              Participant

Hi Lori Ann-

Peggy

Lori Ann
                                              Participant

Lori Ann
                                                Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics