The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

My good news….

Forums General Melanoma Community My good news….

Participant

I am a little superstitious about sharing good news but since I look to this board for inspiration as much as information I have to share the news I received last week.

In May, I completed treatment at NIH on the randomized trial of TIL cells followed by IL2 with standard lymphodepletion OR TIL cells/IL2 with standard lymphodepletion plus total body irradiation.  I randomized to the arm of the trial that did not include TBI.  As many of you know, the treatment was very difficult but the NIH team was amazing and got me through it.  

I am a little superstitious about sharing good news but since I look to this board for inspiration as much as information I have to share the news I received last week.

In May, I completed treatment at NIH on the randomized trial of TIL cells followed by IL2 with standard lymphodepletion OR TIL cells/IL2 with standard lymphodepletion plus total body irradiation.  I randomized to the arm of the trial that did not include TBI.  As many of you know, the treatment was very difficult but the NIH team was amazing and got me through it.  

I returned in June for my one month follow-up scans and received the news that my tumors had decreased in size an estimated 54.2%.  Huge news!   Then last week, at 2 months, scans showed they are approx. 70% smaller than before treatment and no new tumors were reported – equally important at this stage.  After receiving a big hug from my research coordinator she said that there was a lot of good news shared in clinic that day.  

I know my story does not end here but we are hopeful to see this trend continue.  This is the first good news (concerning melanoma) we've had in over a year so we are celebrating and looking forward to a brighter summer!

I wish all the best to everyone dealing with this disease – we need to see a bunch more NED in 2012.

Troy

Viewing 35 reply threads
    • Replies
        Phil S
        Participant
          Troy, Fantastic news, we are so happy for your great results. My husband did TIL at MDAnderson in May, and we get our second set of scans this week, hope the trend continues! Keep up the good work and we hope and pray your T cells continue to battle on for a long, long time! Enjoy your summer, you earned a well deserved break from treatment! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
            TSchulz
            Participant

Valerie and Phil, 

Good luck with the upcoming scans.  I look forward to hearing/reading a positive report.  

All the best, Troy

TSchulz
              Participant

Valerie and Phil, 

Good luck with the upcoming scans.  I look forward to hearing/reading a positive report.  

All the best, Troy

TSchulz
                Participant

Valerie and Phil, 

All the best, Troy

Phil S
                Participant
                  Troy, Fantastic news, we are so happy for your great results. My husband did TIL at MDAnderson in May, and we get our second set of scans this week, hope the trend continues! Keep up the good work and we hope and pray your T cells continue to battle on for a long, long time! Enjoy your summer, you earned a well deserved break from treatment! God bless, Valerie (Phil’s wife)
                  Phil S
                  Participant
                    benp
                    Participant
                      Congratulations! And thank you for the inspiration. I am, right now, on the same treatment and on my second bag of IL-2. It’s quite rough, I know now from experience! But hopefully all worth it. Well done.

Ben.

TSchulz
                        Participant

Ben, 

Hard to tell but you should be about 5-6 doses of IL-2 in.  I'm guessing you are feeling pretty crummy.   Keep it up, it doesn't last that long and you'll be feeling better soon.  I made it through 7 doses before agreeing to stop.  They told me there is little to no correlation between the number of IL-2 doses and the type of response people have.  Good luck with the rest of the treatment.  Just a word of warning – 1-2 days after stopping the IL-2 I started having daily fevers that would last for 6-10 hours and would just take everything out of me. These too will pass, I wasn't really expecting them and was surprised at how bad they made me feel.   Once we were sure they weren't related to infection, the team was happy the fevers were happening…. they suspected the cells were happily finding tumor cells and having a party.  

Good Luck, Troy

ps.  where are you receiving treatment?

TSchulz
                          Participant

Ben, 

Hard to tell but you should be about 5-6 doses of IL-2 in.  I'm guessing you are feeling pretty crummy.   Keep it up, it doesn't last that long and you'll be feeling better soon.  I made it through 7 doses before agreeing to stop.  They told me there is little to no correlation between the number of IL-2 doses and the type of response people have.  Good luck with the rest of the treatment.  Just a word of warning – 1-2 days after stopping the IL-2 I started having daily fevers that would last for 6-10 hours and would just take everything out of me. These too will pass, I wasn't really expecting them and was surprised at how bad they made me feel.   Once we were sure they weren't related to infection, the team was happy the fevers were happening…. they suspected the cells were happily finding tumor cells and having a party.  

Good Luck, Troy

benp
                            Participant

Hi Troy, 

Yes, I am definitely feeling pretty lousy. I've had four bags of IL-2 so far, though my remperatue is running persistantly very high, delaying each dose. Thanks for the advice, I know it's only temporary. 

I am having the treatment done in Manchester, UK actually. They're running small pilot study here and some other centres in Europe.

Here's to good respnses! 

Ben.

benp
                              Participant

Hi Troy, 

Yes, I am definitely feeling pretty lousy. I've had four bags of IL-2 so far, though my remperatue is running persistantly very high, delaying each dose. Thanks for the advice, I know it's only temporary. 

I am having the treatment done in Manchester, UK actually. They're running small pilot study here and some other centres in Europe.

Here's to good respnses! 

Ben.

TSchulz
                                Participant

Ben, 

I hope, by now, you are feeling better.  I remember it wasn't until I started to feel a bit better that I realized just how entirely weakened I was.  As the appetite comes back so does the strength!  

Just wanted to let you know I'm pulling for you and wishing a quick recovery from this and success in the treatment. 

Best, Troy

TSchulz
                                  Participant

Ben, 

I hope, by now, you are feeling better.  I remember it wasn't until I started to feel a bit better that I realized just how entirely weakened I was.  As the appetite comes back so does the strength!  

Just wanted to let you know I'm pulling for you and wishing a quick recovery from this and success in the treatment. 

Best, Troy

TSchulz
                                    Participant

Ben, 

Best, Troy

benp
                                      Participant

Hi Troy, 

Here's to good respnses! 

Ben.

benp
                                        Participant

Hi Troy

Did you cease the IL2 due to kidney or liver failure?  I've had 7 bags now and I'm feeling awful! My oncologist thinks that it may be time to stop, although probable that another bag may happen tomorrow (day 5).  

Thanks, 

Ben. 

benp
                                          Participant

ps, thank you very much for the wishes. (I only just saw that message).

benp
                                            Participant

benp
                                              Participant

TSchulz
                                                Participant

Truthfully, I don't remember why we stopped – I was pretty out of it.  I think my liver function studies were becoming a concern.  My kidneys weren't working great but I don't think they were too worried.  My hazy recollection is that the team felt comfortable with the number of doses I had received and didn't want to push me into having a potentially damaging complication.  I was at NIH, the place with the most experience with this, by far, so I trusted the doctors when they said not to push through.  I am one who, in this type of stuff, thinks more must be better but they definitely didn't agree with that thinking.  

I Hope this helps and remember – you will feel better soon and this will be worth it.  They wouldn't have chosen you for this treatment unless they thought you are a good candidate and can handle it.  

PS – feel free to email outside of this site and I'll be happy to reply a little faster.  [email protected]

Troy

TSchulz
                                                  Participant

Truthfully, I don't remember why we stopped – I was pretty out of it.  I think my liver function studies were becoming a concern.  My kidneys weren't working great but I don't think they were too worried.  My hazy recollection is that the team felt comfortable with the number of doses I had received and didn't want to push me into having a potentially damaging complication.  I was at NIH, the place with the most experience with this, by far, so I trusted the doctors when they said not to push through.  I am one who, in this type of stuff, thinks more must be better but they definitely didn't agree with that thinking.  

I Hope this helps and remember – you will feel better soon and this will be worth it.  They wouldn't have chosen you for this treatment unless they thought you are a good candidate and can handle it.  

PS – feel free to email outside of this site and I'll be happy to reply a little faster.  [email protected]

Troy

TSchulz
                                                    Participant

Troy

benp
                                                      Participant

Hi Troy

Did you cease the IL2 due to kidney or liver failure?  I've had 7 bags now and I'm feeling awful! My oncologist thinks that it may be time to stop, although probable that another bag may happen tomorrow (day 5).  

Thanks, 

Ben. 

benp
                                                        Participant

Hi Troy

Thanks, 

Ben. 

TSchulz
                                                          Participant

Ben, 

Good Luck, Troy

benp
                                                          Participant
                                                            Congratulations! And thank you for the inspiration. I am, right now, on the same treatment and on my second bag of IL-2. It’s quite rough, I know now from experience! But hopefully all worth it. Well done.

Ben.

benp
                                                            Participant

Ben.

aldakota22
                                                              Participant

Great  and happy news .May it only get better as you contiue to the 3 letters we all yearn  NED.In my prayers till then. Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
                                                                Participant

Great  and happy news .May it only get better as you contiue to the 3 letters we all yearn  NED.In my prayers till then. Beat the Beast.    Al

aldakota22
                                                                  Participant

triciad
                                                                    Participant

Troy,

I love to hear such great news!  Congratulations and may the positive results continue…forever!  God Bless!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                      Participant

Troy,

I love to hear such great news!  Congratulations and may the positive results continue…forever!  God Bless!

Tricia

triciad
                                                                        Participant

Troy,

Tricia

gabsound
                                                                          Participant
                                                                            Troy,

Thanks for posting. I’m so happy to hear your good news. Let’s hope it continues until that can no longer find any disease!

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                                            Participant
                                                                              Troy,

Thanks for posting. I’m so happy to hear your good news. Let’s hope it continues until that can no longer find any disease!

Julie in Las Vegas

gabsound
                                                                              Participant
                                                                                Troy,

Julie in Las Vegas

MeNDave
                                                                                Participant

Fantastic news Troy – thanks for sharing 🙂

MeNDave
                                                                                  Participant

MeNDave
                                                                                    Participant

Angela C
                                                                                      Participant

Troy, that is sooo awesome!! I've been wondering what your follow up scans were showing. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!!

I've had stable scans for three months since my IL-12 TIL. I'm hoping next month might show some shrinkage for me. Responses on the IL-12 TIL seem to be a little slower than the standard TIL.

Please keep the updates coming!

~Angela

Angela C
                                                                                        Participant

Troy, that is sooo awesome!! I've been wondering what your follow up scans were showing. Congratulations! I'm so happy for you!!

I've had stable scans for three months since my IL-12 TIL. I'm hoping next month might show some shrinkage for me. Responses on the IL-12 TIL seem to be a little slower than the standard TIL.

~Angela

Angela C
                                                                                          Participant

~Angela

TSchulz
                                                                                              Participant

Angela, 

Great to hear from you.  Stable is good.  I was expecting stable at one month and would have been happy with it.  Good luck with the coming scans.  When do you go back?  I'm scheduled for return on 9/24-25, maybe our paths will cross… All the best, Troy

TSchulz
                                                                                                Participant

Angela, 

Great to hear from you.  Stable is good.  I was expecting stable at one month and would have been happy with it.  Good luck with the coming scans.  When do you go back?  I'm scheduled for return on 9/24-25, maybe our paths will cross… All the best, Troy

TSchulz
                                                                                                  Participant

Angela, 

Jeroenboz
                                                                                                  Participant

Great news Troy

Thanks for sharing and enjoy your summer!

Greetings Jeroen

Jeroenboz
                                                                                                    Participant

Great news Troy

Greetings Jeroen

Jeroenboz
                                                                                                      Participant

Great news Troy

Greetings Jeroen

Ali
                                                                                                        Participant

I'm glad I logged in today!  Hooray!  I love this story.  Glad you are responding.  Hope you do all the way to NED.  Best of luck, keep us updated, Ali

Ali
                                                                                                          Participant

I'm glad I logged in today!  Hooray!  I love this story.  Glad you are responding.  Hope you do all the way to NED.  Best of luck, keep us updated, Ali

Ali
                                                                                                            Participant

Ali
                                                                                                              Participant

Ali
                                                                                                                Participant

Ali
                                                                                                                  Participant

Swanee
                                                                                                                    Participant

Troy, this is awesome news and I am so glad you posted …. and wishing you continued success in your future tests and winning your battle with melanoma.  Troy, you have such a great attitude and your optimism is real and gives such hope to the rest of us.  This melanoma business is so difficult as there are so many angles and we all seem to be coming from a large variety of melanoma stages, types and treatments…..so you're postings are very important to all of us and give us hope  in so many  different ways.  

This is the treatment that I too am being presented with and we are in the watchful waiting  stage.  So far and I am so lucky, tumors have been in  accessible places and are easily removed.   Over the past 2 yrs, I've had 15 tumors removed but only when  they are to big for comfort.   There always seems to be other subcutaneous tumors brewing and they are watched and removed as needed.    In the meanwhile, we are waiting for this treatment to be fine tuned and will probably follow this path when the time comes.  My oncologist is currently working to bring this protocol to SCCA and feels there is time for me to wait until SCCA develops this treatment and  I can be treated there.  I remain hopeful and more confident  than ever, hearing your good news!   Thanks for posting!

Best wishes,

Swanee

TSchulz
                                                                                                                        Participant

Swanee, 

Thank you for your very kind words.  I hope everything continues to be managable for you.  I know Dr. Margolin will keep an eye on you.  One thing you might want to explore (I don't know many details about the trial) is a new trial that NIH is just starting.  Basically, it combines giving vemurafenib for a few weeks before doing the TIL protocol.  I know they are pretty excited about it but it has just started.  When they talked to me about possibly going on it, I would have been the first patient.  I, however, didn't qualify because in order to do it you have to have at least 1 SC nodule that is measurable.  Both of my SC's were harvested for my TIL…. Again, I don't know the details of the study and of course you must be BRAF +.  

Good luck and all the best, 

Troy

TSchulz
                                                                                                                          Participant

Swanee, 

Thank you for your very kind words.  I hope everything continues to be managable for you.  I know Dr. Margolin will keep an eye on you.  One thing you might want to explore (I don't know many details about the trial) is a new trial that NIH is just starting.  Basically, it combines giving vemurafenib for a few weeks before doing the TIL protocol.  I know they are pretty excited about it but it has just started.  When they talked to me about possibly going on it, I would have been the first patient.  I, however, didn't qualify because in order to do it you have to have at least 1 SC nodule that is measurable.  Both of my SC's were harvested for my TIL…. Again, I don't know the details of the study and of course you must be BRAF +.  

Troy

TSchulz
                                                                                                                            Participant

Swanee, 

Troy

Swanee
                                                                                                                            Participant

Troy, this is awesome news and I am so glad you posted …. and wishing you continued success in your future tests and winning your battle with melanoma.  Troy, you have such a great attitude and your optimism is real and gives such hope to the rest of us.  This melanoma business is so difficult as there are so many angles and we all seem to be coming from a large variety of melanoma stages, types and treatments…..so you're postings are very important to all of us and give us hope  in so many  different ways.  

This is the treatment that I too am being presented with and we are in the watchful waiting  stage.  So far and I am so lucky, tumors have been in  accessible places and are easily removed.   Over the past 2 yrs, I've had 15 tumors removed but only when  they are to big for comfort.   There always seems to be other subcutaneous tumors brewing and they are watched and removed as needed.    In the meanwhile, we are waiting for this treatment to be fine tuned and will probably follow this path when the time comes.  My oncologist is currently working to bring this protocol to SCCA and feels there is time for me to wait until SCCA develops this treatment and  I can be treated there.  I remain hopeful and more confident  than ever, hearing your good news!   Thanks for posting!

Best wishes,

Swanee

Swanee
                                                                                                                              Participant

Best wishes,

Swanee

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                Participant

Troy

Super news.  I know what you mean about “…receiving a big hug”.  I always feel better when I learn there is a lot of good news to share when I go for my follow-ups.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                  Participant

Troy

Super news.  I know what you mean about “…receiving a big hug”.  I always feel better when I learn there is a lot of good news to share when I go for my follow-ups.

Dick

Richard_K
                                                                                                                                    Participant

Troy

Dick

Viewing 35 reply threads
                                                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics