The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mucosal Melanoma of the Vulva

Forums Mucosal Melanoma Community Mucosal Melanoma of the Vulva

Keymaster

I had a long conversation today with a patient who has had three boughts with mucosal melanoma of the vulva–all treated wtih surgery.  Now that she has gone the third round she feels that another approach is warranted.  Her surgeon is recommending resection of the vulva and lymph nodes, then treat with leukine.  A gynecological oncologist has recommended radiation.  She does not have the c-kit mutation. 

I had a long conversation today with a patient who has had three boughts with mucosal melanoma of the vulva–all treated wtih surgery.  Now that she has gone the third round she feels that another approach is warranted.  Her surgeon is recommending resection of the vulva and lymph nodes, then treat with leukine.  A gynecological oncologist has recommended radiation.  She does not have the c-kit mutation. 

This patient has no computer and no access to a computer.  She has an appointment with a melanoma doctor tomorrow afternoon, but is completely confused as to what course of action to take.

Can anyone suggest questions she should ask of the doctor she sees tomorrow?  I know a few doctors who have treated a lot of mucosal melanoma, but some of the particulars are likely to escape me.

I wil be speaking with her again tomorrow late morning.

Tim–MRF

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Not sure about the leukine part of it, but surgery and radiation seem standard procedure. Surprised it is not C-Kit positive, but not all are mucosal however, as it is my understanding it can be cutaneous rather than mucosal. 

Michael

MichaelFL
          Participant

Not sure about the leukine part of it, but surgery and radiation seem standard procedure. Surprised it is not C-Kit positive, but not all are mucosal however, as it is my understanding it can be cutaneous rather than mucosal. 

Michael

FormerCaregiver
            Participant

I just would like to give my opinion about this case. It looks like the surgeon who is
              recommending resection of the vulva and lymph nodes, followed by leukine could be taking
              the right approach. Here is a recent thread about leukine:
              http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ned-stage-iv-and-gm-csf-leukine

Surgery seems to be the better option as it is always best to remove any evidence of
              melanoma if possible, as this reduces the tumour burden.

Radiation given after resection can be helpful and might result in a better prognosis. The
              following article about surgical treatment and radiotherapy supports this view:
              http://journals.lww.com/melanomaresearch/Fulltext/2008/02000/Evidence_and_interdisciplinary_consensus_based.10.aspx

I feel that radiation treatment alone without resection would result in a worse prognosis.

As to what questions to ask the doctor? Has the patient had a PET scan recently? If not,
              then is it unreasonable that a PET scan be carried out soon?

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
              Participant

I just would like to give my opinion about this case. It looks like the surgeon who is
                recommending resection of the vulva and lymph nodes, followed by leukine could be taking
                the right approach. Here is a recent thread about leukine:
                http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/ned-stage-iv-and-gm-csf-leukine

Surgery seems to be the better option as it is always best to remove any evidence of
                melanoma if possible, as this reduces the tumour burden.

Radiation given after resection can be helpful and might result in a better prognosis. The
                following article about surgical treatment and radiotherapy supports this view:
                http://journals.lww.com/melanomaresearch/Fulltext/2008/02000/Evidence_and_interdisciplinary_consensus_based.10.aspx

I feel that radiation treatment alone without resection would result in a worse prognosis.

As to what questions to ask the doctor? Has the patient had a PET scan recently? If not,
                then is it unreasonable that a PET scan be carried out soon?

Best wishes

Frank from Australia

Ed Everest
                Participant

There's a thread started on 9th June 2013 called "Melanomas of the vujlva and vagina" here http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/melanomas-vulva-and-vagina which I think anyone diagnosed with melanoma of the vulva or vagina or cervix will find very useful reading. On Facebook there are two very active vulva cancer support and information groups which can be found by putting "vulva cancer" into the Facebook search window.
                  Cheers – Ed

Ed Everest
                  Participant

There's a thread started on 9th June 2013 called "Melanomas of the vujlva and vagina" here http://www.melanoma.org/community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/melanomas-vulva-and-vagina which I think anyone diagnosed with melanoma of the vulva or vagina or cervix will find very useful reading. On Facebook there are two very active vulva cancer support and information groups which can be found by putting "vulva cancer" into the Facebook search window.
                    Cheers – Ed

Ed Everest
                    Participant

Cheers – Ed

Viewing 6 reply threads
                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics