The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MRI results – drew a bad hand

Forums General Melanoma Community MRI results – drew a bad hand

Participant

My wife and I went in for her MRI brain scan results today, Bad news. She has six new brain mets. So that pretty much rules out any trials of any sort. Or a standard course of IL-2 (the only non-clinical trial drug she could go on – after having already tried Ipi). With active extracranial disease (lungs and who else knows where by now) and very active central nervous system disease, it's all right now about trying to buy time. We meet tomorrow with the radiation oncologist – it's either gamma knife or whole brain radiation.

My wife and I went in for her MRI brain scan results today, Bad news. She has six new brain mets. So that pretty much rules out any trials of any sort. Or a standard course of IL-2 (the only non-clinical trial drug she could go on – after having already tried Ipi). With active extracranial disease (lungs and who else knows where by now) and very active central nervous system disease, it's all right now about trying to buy time. We meet tomorrow with the radiation oncologist – it's either gamma knife or whole brain radiation. They are spread all over – and we have to assume there are more lurking. We'll see what onc recommends. We are game to do the WBRT – our doc said any dementia side effects would kick in long after she is gone – so it's worth it to try to buy some time. She's already lost her hair from the Cyberknife so that's no big deal. She is definitely bothered by the probable side effects of short term memory deficits, but it beats the alternative. She will continue on the Temodar and may switch to Taxol in a month if it looks like it's not doing anything.

The hardest thing we've had to deal with today is expectations around life expectancy. Since she's suffered some cognitive deficits as a result of her stroke, it's been hard to get her to understand. She gets that she won't get through this; she does want the time to get her final projects done (the letters to the boys when they get married, have kids). But she doesn't want the pressure – which is kind of unavoidable. 

Despite a very sad, emptional and teary day – she is a remarkable woman who is showing tremendous grace under all this stress. She is very loved by a very broad and deep community of friends and family who will support her on this leg of her journey. I just wish there was a different path…

Nick

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        lhaley
        Participant

Nick,

I'm so sorry that you got this bad news today.  I hope that your wife is able to accomplish the letters and to make some more memories with your sons. You've searched for a treatment for her but melanoma can be relentless.

Your wife is blessed  that she has you by her side.

Linda

lhaley
          Participant

Nick,

I'm so sorry that you got this bad news today.  I hope that your wife is able to accomplish the letters and to make some more memories with your sons. You've searched for a treatment for her but melanoma can be relentless.

Your wife is blessed  that she has you by her side.

Linda

MaryD
            Participant

Nick,

I'm sorry you and your wife are going through this painful time.   She is clearly lucky to have you by her side and her stength and grace will guide her through the days to come.

Hoping that you, your wife, and family can share some special moments every day.

Mary

MaryD
              Participant

Nick,

I'm sorry you and your wife are going through this painful time.   She is clearly lucky to have you by her side and her stength and grace will guide her through the days to come.

Hoping that you, your wife, and family can share some special moments every day.

Mary

FormerCaregiver
                Participant

Nick, I am very sorry to read this. Unfortunately, melanoma is unpredictable and extremely devious in how it can evade the efforts of the immune system to keep it under control. If your wife isn't responding to Temodar, can she switch to Taxol sooner or to another type of chemo?

I understand how you might be feeling at the moment, as I was in a similar situation with my late wife 2 years ago. She had significant liver mets, but her brain was clear.

Wishing you peace and strength.

Frank from Australia

nickmac56
                    Participant

Thank you Frank – we discussed Taxol and definitely plan to switch to it at the end of the month – but it was a judgment call – she has only been on Temodar a month and it's just to early to tell in the oncs opinion. Based on her sub-q tumors we can't tell either – they aren't growing – so it could be having some effect – or it could be that the cancer is just concentrating elsewhere. 

nickmac56
                      Participant

Thank you Frank – we discussed Taxol and definitely plan to switch to it at the end of the month – but it was a judgment call – she has only been on Temodar a month and it's just to early to tell in the oncs opinion. Based on her sub-q tumors we can't tell either – they aren't growing – so it could be having some effect – or it could be that the cancer is just concentrating elsewhere. 

FormerCaregiver
                      Participant

Nick, I am very sorry to read this. Unfortunately, melanoma is unpredictable and extremely devious in how it can evade the efforts of the immune system to keep it under control. If your wife isn't responding to Temodar, can she switch to Taxol sooner or to another type of chemo?

I understand how you might be feeling at the moment, as I was in a similar situation with my late wife 2 years ago. She had significant liver mets, but her brain was clear.

Wishing you peace and strength.

Frank from Australia

lovingwifedeb
                        Participant
                          Nick,
                          I am very sorry about your wife and the stage she has reached. All I know today is taking one day as it comes to you and don’t look back with regret and try not to look forward in fear. Love her.

My husband lost his life on May 27th after just under one year with his battle. I try to now live my life as he lived during this past year, the best way I can and remembering his bravery always. It’s the only way I can continue.

As a caregiver we are never ready to give up… but in reality we must face our families because they depend on us for guidance. Be strong, your wife will guide you.

Deb
                          lovingwife to Bob (the Gambler)
                          redesign08.blogspot.com

lovingwifedeb
                          Participant
                            Nick,
                            I am very sorry about your wife and the stage she has reached. All I know today is taking one day as it comes to you and don’t look back with regret and try not to look forward in fear. Love her.

My husband lost his life on May 27th after just under one year with his battle. I try to now live my life as he lived during this past year, the best way I can and remembering his bravery always. It’s the only way I can continue.

As a caregiver we are never ready to give up… but in reality we must face our families because they depend on us for guidance. Be strong, your wife will guide you.

Deb
                            lovingwife to Bob (the Gambler)
                            redesign08.blogspot.com

ValinMtl
                            Participant

Life can be so difficult, especially when it involves melanoma.  I am sending my prayers to you, Meagan and your beautiful boys.  I do hope she is able to write her letters to her boys but also know who doing so also seems that you are wrapping up your life.  I am having the same difficulty getting started on scrapbooks for my son.  Val

ValinMtl
                              Participant

Life can be so difficult, especially when it involves melanoma.  I am sending my prayers to you, Meagan and your beautiful boys.  I do hope she is able to write her letters to her boys but also know who doing so also seems that you are wrapping up your life.  I am having the same difficulty getting started on scrapbooks for my son.  Val

triciad
                                Participant

Nick,

I am so sorry to hear about your situtation.  You both will be in my prayers!

Tricia

triciad
                                  Participant

Nick,

I am so sorry to hear about your situtation.  You both will be in my prayers!

Tricia

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics