The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

MRI Brain confused

Forums General Melanoma Community MRI Brain confused

Participant

Hi Evveryone,

I am scheduled for my first brain MRI with & without contrast. I want to get the best pictures so can anyone tell me how to prepare for a MRI brain scan. Do I need to fast?

Thanks foryour reply.

Hi Evveryone,

I am scheduled for my first brain MRI with & without contrast. I want to get the best pictures so can anyone tell me how to prepare for a MRI brain scan. Do I need to fast?

Thanks foryour reply.

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        MichaelFL
        Participant

Hi,

It is best to discuss this with the doctor or facility as to how long you need to fast, but it is my understanding that you do not need to fast if it is done without contrast for a brain MRI, and you do need to fast if it is with contrast.

If it was the abdomen, yes, you would need to fast either way.

Remember to avoid makeup.

Try to stay still, and you may desire a antianxiety med beforehand as it may take up to an hour. Fear of enclosed spaces or excessive anxiety could require sedation.

Here is one site I found:

PREPARATION FOR MRI EXAMINATION – BRAIN AND NECK

Without injection

No fasting required.
          Must be present 15 minutes before exam.
          Patient may continue taking prescribed medication as well as painkillers.
          Complete removals of jewellery, body piercing and hair clip are
          mandatory.
           Nicotine patch must be removed.
           No make up allowed for MRI of the brain and of the cervical spine.
           Bring necessary items for removal of contact lens.
           Bring reports and images of previous exams done of the same region
          being studied.
           In case of claustrophobia, patient might need to take some Ativan.
           Obtain patient’s weight.
           Duration of exam is 20 to 35 minutes, depending of protocol.

With injection of Gadolinium contrast

Fasting 3 hours prior MRI exam.
          Obtain blood test results of creatinine level (done within last 6 months).
          Patient may continue taking prescribed medications as well as painkillers.
          Complete removals of jewellery, body piercing and hair clips are
          mandatory.
          Nicotine patch must be removed.
          No make up allowed for MRI of the brain and the cervical spine.
          Bring necessary items for removal of contact lens.
          Bring reports and images of previous exams done of the same region
          being studied.
          In case of claustrophobia, patient might need to take some Ativan.
          Obtain patient’s weight.
          Duration of exam is 60 to 75 minutes, depending of exam protocol.

Good luck!

Michael

killmel
            Participant

Thanks Michael…I called my doctor & radiology dept. They said I did not have to fast so I do not know what is best

Please anyone who has had a Brain MRI…did you fast or not!!!! I sincerely would appreciate your reply.

Thanks

Mary

lhaley
              Participant

Mary,

When I had my bladder recurrance my oncologist actually was able to get a brain mri w/ contrast that afternoon for me. We had about an hour and her suggestion was to go have some lunch while we waited! I also eat when I have had my breast mri's with contrast.

Good luck!

Linda

lhaley
                Participant

Mary,

When I had my bladder recurrance my oncologist actually was able to get a brain mri w/ contrast that afternoon for me. We had about an hour and her suggestion was to go have some lunch while we waited! I also eat when I have had my breast mri's with contrast.

Good luck!

Linda

killmel
                  Participant

Thanks Michael…I called my doctor & radiology dept. They said I did not have to fast so I do not know what is best

Please anyone who has had a Brain MRI…did you fast or not!!!! I sincerely would appreciate your reply.

Thanks

Mary

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Hi,

It is best to discuss this with the doctor or facility as to how long you need to fast, but it is my understanding that you do not need to fast if it is done without contrast for a brain MRI, and you do need to fast if it is with contrast.

If it was the abdomen, yes, you would need to fast either way.

Remember to avoid makeup.

Try to stay still, and you may desire a antianxiety med beforehand as it may take up to an hour. Fear of enclosed spaces or excessive anxiety could require sedation.

Here is one site I found:

PREPARATION FOR MRI EXAMINATION – BRAIN AND NECK

Without injection

No fasting required.
                    Patient may continue taking prescribed medication as well as painkillers.
                    Complete removals of jewellery, body piercing and hair clip are
                    mandatory.
                     Nicotine patch must be removed.
                     No make up allowed for MRI of the brain and of the cervical spine.
                     Bring necessary items for removal of contact lens.
                     Bring reports and images of previous exams done of the same region
                    being studied.
                     In case of claustrophobia, patient might need to take some Ativan.
                     Obtain patient’s weight.
                     Duration of exam is 20 to 35 minutes, depending of protocol.

With injection of Gadolinium contrast

Fasting 3 hours prior MRI exam.
                    Obtain blood test results of creatinine level (done within last 6 months).
                    Patient may continue taking prescribed medications as well as painkillers.
                    Complete removals of jewellery, body piercing and hair clips are
                    mandatory.
                    Nicotine patch must be removed.
                    No make up allowed for MRI of the brain and the cervical spine.
                    Bring necessary items for removal of contact lens.
                    Bring reports and images of previous exams done of the same region
                    being studied.
                    In case of claustrophobia, patient might need to take some Ativan.
                    Obtain patient’s weight.
                    Duration of exam is 60 to 75 minutes, depending of exam protocol.

Good luck!

Michael

ShariC
                    Participant

I had a brain MRI two weeks ago.  There was NO prep.  I had to take off all metal and glasses.  Then they put a port in my vein (hand in my case)…but, did NOT inject the dye.  Then they did one MRI scan right off the bat (took about 10 minutes).  Then they moved the MRI table out, but had me lie completely still (especially don't move your head), they injected the dye while I was on the table and slid me back in for the second MRI with contrast.  Took another 10 minutes.  THEN…they showed me the pictures (no official RESULTS tho…) – there was my brain!  Easy Breezy!  My Oncologist called me the next day with the news that my MRI was clear.  – Shari

ShariC
                      Participant

I had a brain MRI two weeks ago.  There was NO prep.  I had to take off all metal and glasses.  Then they put a port in my vein (hand in my case)…but, did NOT inject the dye.  Then they did one MRI scan right off the bat (took about 10 minutes).  Then they moved the MRI table out, but had me lie completely still (especially don't move your head), they injected the dye while I was on the table and slid me back in for the second MRI with contrast.  Took another 10 minutes.  THEN…they showed me the pictures (no official RESULTS tho…) – there was my brain!  Easy Breezy!  My Oncologist called me the next day with the news that my MRI was clear.  – Shari

KatyWI
                        Participant

Some places ask you to fast because a handful of people get nauseated from the contrast.  It won't affect the quality of the scan one way or the other.  MRI is noisy, but pretty easy from a patient perspective.

Katy

KatyWI
                          Participant

Some places ask you to fast because a handful of people get nauseated from the contrast.  It won't affect the quality of the scan one way or the other.  MRI is noisy, but pretty easy from a patient perspective.

Katy

MRFUser2011
                            Participant

I did a brain MRI last month, with and without contrast.  I was asked to wear loose, comfortable clothes with no metal.  I had to remove my bra.  I was at my test was first thing in the AM and I did not want to have to go to the bathroom possibly mid-scan, I opted to fast on my own.  I did drink a couple of bottles of water so I was fully hydrated (always makes putting in an IV a little easier).  They offered me head phones and I was glad for them, it is noisy.  The place I had mine had a mirror so I could watch the staff and they checked in every few minutes via an intercom – I didn't respond per their instructions, but they gave me the number of minutes left to go.  I took a xanax about 45 minutes before the scan and was very relaxed and mellow.  I didn't get to see my scan (but didn't think to ask, either).  Good luck on your results.

Blessings, Shari

MRFUser2011
                              Participant

I did a brain MRI last month, with and without contrast.  I was asked to wear loose, comfortable clothes with no metal.  I had to remove my bra.  I was at my test was first thing in the AM and I did not want to have to go to the bathroom possibly mid-scan, I opted to fast on my own.  I did drink a couple of bottles of water so I was fully hydrated (always makes putting in an IV a little easier).  They offered me head phones and I was glad for them, it is noisy.  The place I had mine had a mirror so I could watch the staff and they checked in every few minutes via an intercom – I didn't respond per their instructions, but they gave me the number of minutes left to go.  I took a xanax about 45 minutes before the scan and was very relaxed and mellow.  I didn't get to see my scan (but didn't think to ask, either).  Good luck on your results.

Blessings, Shari

Viewing 7 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics