The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Moving onto plan “C”. Off Zelboraf and onto Tafinlar.

Forums General Melanoma Community Moving onto plan “C”. Off Zelboraf and onto Tafinlar.

Participant

Well my 23 month run with "Z" is over as of 8/13/13. With the issue of brain mets developing "Z" is no longer the magic bullet.Now after a 2 week dry period  i am on "T"  (Tafinlar).This Tuesday scheduled for gamma knife surgery for brain mets.Keeping my PMA high that this new plan will be more effective than plan B. Little anxious of the procedure but have read posts from those who have SRS.A little scary but very doable.Need your prayers/Beat the Beast.      Al

Well my 23 month run with "Z" is over as of 8/13/13. With the issue of brain mets developing "Z" is no longer the magic bullet.Now after a 2 week dry period  i am on "T"  (Tafinlar).This Tuesday scheduled for gamma knife surgery for brain mets.Keeping my PMA high that this new plan will be more effective than plan B. Little anxious of the procedure but have read posts from those who have SRS.A little scary but very doable.Need your prayers/Beat the Beast.      Al

Viewing 30 reply threads
    • Replies
        awillett1991
        Participant
          Al – it’s always good to have a plan B! I had grand success with SRS for 2 mets in Nov. don’t be shy about asking for Ativan or something to get you through the mask fitting and the procedure. It’s unnerving (was to me, anyway) That’s what these drugs are made for. You will beat the beast!!

Amy

awillett1991
          Participant
            Al – it’s always good to have a plan B! I had grand success with SRS for 2 mets in Nov. don’t be shy about asking for Ativan or something to get you through the mask fitting and the procedure. It’s unnerving (was to me, anyway) That’s what these drugs are made for. You will beat the beast!!

Amy

awillett1991
            Participant

Amy

Mat
              Participant

Al, two things:

1.  Consider requesting the Tafinlar-Mekinist combo.  Better stats and also supposed to help with side effects.  I've been on the combo for a month with very few side effects, all of which are manageable.

2.  I had a g-knife procedure for a small brain met.  They gave me a local anesthetic so I was actually asleep when they put on the head frame.  I woke up in the MRI when they were mapping (but I was very mellow at that point).  I agree with the prior post that meds are a good idea.  Otherwise, "no sweat".  Easier than a normal head MRI in my view!  I was groggy the day of the procedure and the following day with only a minor headache the day of.  I had the procedure on a Friday and was back to work on Monday.

Good luck!

Mat
                Participant

Al, two things:

1.  Consider requesting the Tafinlar-Mekinist combo.  Better stats and also supposed to help with side effects.  I've been on the combo for a month with very few side effects, all of which are manageable.

2.  I had a g-knife procedure for a small brain met.  They gave me a local anesthetic so I was actually asleep when they put on the head frame.  I woke up in the MRI when they were mapping (but I was very mellow at that point).  I agree with the prior post that meds are a good idea.  Otherwise, "no sweat".  Easier than a normal head MRI in my view!  I was groggy the day of the procedure and the following day with only a minor headache the day of.  I had the procedure on a Friday and was back to work on Monday.

Good luck!

Mat
                  Participant

Al, two things:

Good luck!

rosa1
                    Participant

Al – I truly wish you the best.  Be brave, I know you can do it.  I will pray for you, keep us informed!  Keep your PMA high and as you always say" Beat the Beast"!smiley     

Rosa 

rosa1
                      Participant

Al – I truly wish you the best.  Be brave, I know you can do it.  I will pray for you, keep us informed!  Keep your PMA high and as you always say" Beat the Beast"!smiley     

Rosa 

rosa1
                        Participant

Rosa 

NYKaren
                          Participant
                            Hi Al,
                            You will do great, I know you will.
                            Do you know yet which hospital you will be at? Is it with Dr Kondziolka(sp?). He’s really such a nice man, but more importantly a highly skilled doctor.
                            As you know, I have been on the Trafilnar, and it has been like night and day. Just a tiny bit of achy knees, no sun sensitivity at all!
                            Please message me if you want…I’d love to speak with you.
                            You will absolutely beat the beast.
                            Ali
                            Participant

Prayers for you now.  You got this!

Ali
                              Participant

Ali
                                Participant

WayneG
                                  Participant

Praying for you Al!  Been on "Z" for 17 months (still on it) and had gamma knife at the end of June for a couple of mets, had follow up brain MRI early August – no new mets and the 2 they zapped were shrinking slightly.  Nothing has been said yet about stopping Z but have another mri early October along with PET/CT.

Once they get the frame on you for the gamma knife you are good to go, rest of it's a piece of cake!  Yes something to relax you a little bit is a good thing…  my guy offerred it but wanted to try to put it on without it first so my head wouldn't move as much.  He got in on in less than 10 minutes.. not a problem.  The "screws" that hold the frame on hurt for just a minute – it's actually the pressure that hurts – but then it stops and just doesn't hurt… very weird.

One tip is afterward sleep, lay propped up for a couple of days – check with the doc to confirm.  I missed that instruction from my doc and laid flat out to sleep.  Made my face/eyes swell way, way, way up!

You can beat the beast!

WayneG
                                    Participant

Praying for you Al!  Been on "Z" for 17 months (still on it) and had gamma knife at the end of June for a couple of mets, had follow up brain MRI early August – no new mets and the 2 they zapped were shrinking slightly.  Nothing has been said yet about stopping Z but have another mri early October along with PET/CT.

Once they get the frame on you for the gamma knife you are good to go, rest of it's a piece of cake!  Yes something to relax you a little bit is a good thing…  my guy offerred it but wanted to try to put it on without it first so my head wouldn't move as much.  He got in on in less than 10 minutes.. not a problem.  The "screws" that hold the frame on hurt for just a minute – it's actually the pressure that hurts – but then it stops and just doesn't hurt… very weird.

One tip is afterward sleep, lay propped up for a couple of days – check with the doc to confirm.  I missed that instruction from my doc and laid flat out to sleep.  Made my face/eyes swell way, way, way up!

You can beat the beast!

WayneG
                                      Participant

You can beat the beast!

DeniseK
                                        Participant

Hi Al,

First of all I"m sorry to hear about your "run" coming to end with Z.  I've been on T for a couple weeks now and the side effedts are less with it so that will be your up side.  

Secondly I have heard that T does break the brain barrier so that's another postitive.  

Thirdly I am confused, you say Gamma Knife then you say SRS.  I have had both and they are different procedures.  If you are getting SRS they fit you with a mesh mask over your face and the back of your head gets molded to a styrofoam thingy.  It's a little claustrophobic so an ativan ahead of time is nice and recommended.  Gamma knife your fitted to a frame which is bolted to your head through the skin to your skull.  You will get local injections to prevent the bolting procedure from actually hurting but you can feel the pressure.  I also recommend ativan for this procedure.  The worst part of it is when they take it off I had a horrible headache so come prepared with something for pain, I wish I knew this.  Overall I would say SRS is an easier process but gamma knife wasn't that bad.  

All my best to you Al, you can definately beat the beast!!  Keep up the PMA!!

Denise

DeniseK
                                          Participant

Hi Al,

First of all I"m sorry to hear about your "run" coming to end with Z.  I've been on T for a couple weeks now and the side effedts are less with it so that will be your up side.  

Secondly I have heard that T does break the brain barrier so that's another postitive.  

Thirdly I am confused, you say Gamma Knife then you say SRS.  I have had both and they are different procedures.  If you are getting SRS they fit you with a mesh mask over your face and the back of your head gets molded to a styrofoam thingy.  It's a little claustrophobic so an ativan ahead of time is nice and recommended.  Gamma knife your fitted to a frame which is bolted to your head through the skin to your skull.  You will get local injections to prevent the bolting procedure from actually hurting but you can feel the pressure.  I also recommend ativan for this procedure.  The worst part of it is when they take it off I had a horrible headache so come prepared with something for pain, I wish I knew this.  Overall I would say SRS is an easier process but gamma knife wasn't that bad.  

Denise

DeniseK
                                            Participant

Hi Al,

Denise

Tina D
                                              Participant

Al,

I am sorry to hear this news, but so glad there is a good plan. Praying for you as you move on to plan C

Tina

Tina D
                                                Participant

Al,

I am sorry to hear this news, but so glad there is a good plan. Praying for you as you move on to plan C

Tina

Tina D
                                                  Participant

Al,

Tina

aldakota22
                                                    Participant

Really want to thank everyone for their support and prayers for Plan C. It is really uplifing to have others offer their own stories as a road map of what to expect. With God and good doctors  in the fight I will Beat the Beast.Thanks           Al

aldakota22
                                                      Participant

Really want to thank everyone for their support and prayers for Plan C. It is really uplifing to have others offer their own stories as a road map of what to expect. With God and good doctors  in the fight I will Beat the Beast.Thanks           Al

aldakota22
                                                        Participant

Richard_K
                                                          Participant

Al,

So sorry to here about Zelboraf, I was getting used to you nipping at my heels.  That being said, good to read about your current plans and I hope it too gives you a long run.  On a separate subject, there is a Miles for Melanoma run/walk in New Jersey on September 22nd and NYU has a team.  If you are up to it and can attend, give me a shout so we can meet.

Richard_K
                                                            Participant

Al,

So sorry to here about Zelboraf, I was getting used to you nipping at my heels.  That being said, good to read about your current plans and I hope it too gives you a long run.  On a separate subject, there is a Miles for Melanoma run/walk in New Jersey on September 22nd and NYU has a team.  If you are up to it and can attend, give me a shout so we can meet.

Richard_K
                                                              Participant

Al,

kellygrl
                                                                Participant
                                                                  Hey Al!!! Been thinking of you! I am sure you have more recent post then this and hope it is good news! I will search for it…. in the meantime, not sure if you know Z ran its course with my husband back in Aug/Sept, he also had gamma in Aug on 5 tumors and hey have responded! He then did 2 ipi infusions in Sept/Oct, hut tumors too aggressive, so went to dabradenib/mek inhibitor in Nov. This seems to be working, but one tumor did grow and he just had another gamma last week on 4 tumors. So, now….. hopefully this works and combo still works, then go from there. Went to see melanoma specialist at Mayo back in Nov, he recommended getting mets under control and then adding ipi to combo…. his words “load him with ammo, he is high risk and combo will shrink quicker, but ipi will give him the miles” So, we’ll have to see what next few mos bring. 3/24/14 will be 2 yrs, a miracle!! Hope you are doing GREAT!!! PMA has been a little rough this winter, but managing.

Kelly ๐Ÿ™‚

kellygrl
                                                                  Participant
                                                                    Hey Al!!! Been thinking of you! I am sure you have more recent post then this and hope it is good news! I will search for it…. in the meantime, not sure if you know Z ran its course with my husband back in Aug/Sept, he also had gamma in Aug on 5 tumors and hey have responded! He then did 2 ipi infusions in Sept/Oct, hut tumors too aggressive, so went to dabradenib/mek inhibitor in Nov. This seems to be working, but one tumor did grow and he just had another gamma last week on 4 tumors. So, now….. hopefully this works and combo still works, then go from there. Went to see melanoma specialist at Mayo back in Nov, he recommended getting mets under control and then adding ipi to combo…. his words “load him with ammo, he is high risk and combo will shrink quicker, but ipi will give him the miles” So, we’ll have to see what next few mos bring. 3/24/14 will be 2 yrs, a miracle!! Hope you are doing GREAT!!! PMA has been a little rough this winter, but managing.

Kelly ๐Ÿ™‚

kellygrl
                                                                    Participant

Kelly ๐Ÿ™‚

NYKaren
                                                                      Participant
                                                                        Hi Al,
                                                                        Do you know yet which hospital you will be at? Is it with Dr Kondziolka(sp?). He’s really such a nice man, but more importantly a highly skilled doctor.
                                                                        As you know, I have been on the Trafilnar, and it has been like night and day. Just a tiny bit of achy knees, no sun sensitivity at all!
                                                                        NYKaren
                                                                        Participant
                                                                          Hi Al,
                                                                          aldakota22
                                                                          Participant

Karen great to hear that "T" is kicking melanomas butt. Really happy for you. I am having the procedure done in Northern Westchester in MT.Kisco by Dr. Erik Parker and Joshua Silverman. I think we are both under thecare of melanoma specialist. Dr. Anna Pavlick @ NYU Langome  in NYC. Normally the procedure would be done there but since Sandy it is done at  offsite locations. Love to contact you but do not know how? Keeping our PMA we will Beat the Beast.  All the best   to you.    Al

aldakota22
                                                                            Participant

Karen great to hear that "T" is kicking melanomas butt. Really happy for you. I am having the procedure done in Northern Westchester in MT.Kisco by Dr. Erik Parker and Joshua Silverman. I think we are both under thecare of melanoma specialist. Dr. Anna Pavlick @ NYU Langome  in NYC. Normally the procedure would be done there but since Sandy it is done at  offsite locations. Love to contact you but do not know how? Keeping our PMA we will Beat the Beast.  All the best   to you.    Al

aldakota22
                                                                              Participant

NYKaren
                                                                                Participant
                                                                                  Hi Al,
                                                                                  I didn’t see your reply to this until now, so I’m hoping you will see this.
                                                                                  Knowing that Sandy washed away NYU’s Gamma Knife machines, I was wondering which hospital you would be using for your upcoming procedure.
                                                                                  My email is [email protected].
                                                                                  All the best,
                                                                                  Karen
                                                                                  NYKaren
                                                                                  Participant
                                                                                    Hi Al,
                                                                                    Knowing that Sandy washed away NYU’s Gamma Knife machines, I was wondering which hospital you would be using for your upcoming procedure.
                                                                                    All the best,
                                                                                    Karen
                                                                                    NYKaren
                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                      Hi Al,
                                                                                      All the best,
                                                                                      Karen
                                                                                  Viewing 30 reply threads
                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics