The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mouth sores from Keytruda

Forums General Melanoma Community Mouth sores from Keytruda

Participant

Has anyone else experienced sores in their mouth & throat from keytruda?  If so, any ideas on how to get some relief?

thanks

Julie

Viewing 11 reply threads
    • Replies
        Coneflowers
        Participant

Call your doctor, there is some magic mouthwash that is supposed to help. Not sure what to do about your throat ๐Ÿ™ Maybe try some tea and honey.

Hope you feel better soon!

Amanda

Coneflowers
          Participant

Call your doctor, there is some magic mouthwash that is supposed to help. Not sure what to do about your throat ๐Ÿ™ Maybe try some tea and honey.

Amanda

Coneflowers
            Participant

Amanda

keepthefaith11
              Participant
                Magic mouthwash is amazing. I do not think it is available as a brand anymore but your Pharmacy can mix it up. My son had bad mouth sores with a viral infection and it helped tremendously.
                keepthefaith11
                Participant
                  Magic mouthwash is amazing. I do not think it is available as a brand anymore but your Pharmacy can mix it up. My son had bad mouth sores with a viral infection and it helped tremendously.
                  keepthefaith11
                  Participant
                    Charlie S
                    Participant

The "magic mouthwash" others are referring to is basically lidocaine, but compounded by a pharmacist.

Here is the recipe from Mayo Clinic

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chemotherapy/expert-answers/magic-mouthwash/faq-20058071

It really does work pretty well for thrush (mouth and throat sores)

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                      Participant

The "magic mouthwash" others are referring to is basically lidocaine, but compounded by a pharmacist.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/tests-procedures/chemotherapy/expert-answers/magic-mouthwash/faq-20058071

Cheers,

Charlie S

Charlie S
                        Participant

Cheers,

Charlie S

Bubbles
                          Participant

Hi Julie,

Sorry you are dealing with this. I developed actual mouth ulcers while on my nivo trial (and still have occasional flares…though they are not as bad as they used to be) while my other ratties only had dry mouth and milder mucositis. However, since then many folks have reached out for help regarding their ulcers while on both anti-PD1 products (nivo/opdivo and pembro/keytruda). Here's what I posted earlier:

http://www.melanoma.org/comment/90927#comment-90927

So…nystatin, lidocaine lolly pops (which happened to give me heart palpitations!) as well as warm saline gargles…magic mouthwash (you can make your own with a one to one ratio of liquid benadryl and maalox….swish and spit about 10ml…or if your're ready to go to bed…swallow!….or from a pharmacy it is the same mixture but with lido added as well) were all things I tried…and they provided varying degrees of temporary comfort. It wasn't until I was treated with valcyclovir and peridex from my dentist that I got a bit better….though as I mentioned…I still have flares all these years later.

But, first thing first would to be to call your onc and see what they think. Hope I've helped a bit and wish you well!  Celeste

Bubbles
                            Participant

Hi Julie,

Sorry you are dealing with this. I developed actual mouth ulcers while on my nivo trial (and still have occasional flares…though they are not as bad as they used to be) while my other ratties only had dry mouth and milder mucositis. However, since then many folks have reached out for help regarding their ulcers while on both anti-PD1 products (nivo/opdivo and pembro/keytruda). Here's what I posted earlier:

So…nystatin, lidocaine lolly pops (which happened to give me heart palpitations!) as well as warm saline gargles…magic mouthwash (you can make your own with a one to one ratio of liquid benadryl and maalox….swish and spit about 10ml…or if your're ready to go to bed…swallow!….or from a pharmacy it is the same mixture but with lido added as well) were all things I tried…and they provided varying degrees of temporary comfort. It wasn't until I was treated with valcyclovir and peridex from my dentist that I got a bit better….though as I mentioned…I still have flares all these years later.

But, first thing first would to be to call your onc and see what they think. Hope I've helped a bit and wish you well!  Celeste

Bubbles
                              Participant

Hi Julie,

Viewing 11 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics