The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

mixed scan results….I think

Forums General Melanoma Community mixed scan results….I think

Participant

First let me say I know I am talking about very small lesions and some readers will be dealing with much scarier issues, but I also know they will not begrudge me my present apprehension. Two of the things I love about Moffitt are the friendly optimism of my oncologist and the fact she almost always gives me the results of my scans the same day. This time I scheduled my appointments over 2 days with the CT & MRI yesterday afternoon and consultation and infusion today. Due to backups in Radiology my MRI was not finished until 7 PM last night.

First let me say I know I am talking about very small lesions and some readers will be dealing with much scarier issues, but I also know they will not begrudge me my present apprehension. Two of the things I love about Moffitt are the friendly optimism of my oncologist and the fact she almost always gives me the results of my scans the same day. This time I scheduled my appointments over 2 days with the CT & MRI yesterday afternoon and consultation and infusion today. Due to backups in Radiology my MRI was not finished until 7 PM last night. When I saw the doc this morning she did not have the report yet but had looked at the pix. She was pleased saying that my mets continue to shrink. She also points out that she is looking at the images in B&W on a 15" monitor and the radiologists have bigger & sharper screens. The trial coordinator brought in the report Just before we left but I did not read it until we got home.  So these are the sizes in mm with previous sizes in ( ): 4×1 (3×1);  5×3 (4×1);  5×3 (5×5); 5×4 (4×4).  OK so 2 are down but 2 are up which she did not mention.  We did talk about a splenic lesion that continues to grow and is at 2.1 cm now.  She does not think that will affect my trial eligibility and we will continue to watch it with the possibility of surgery if all goes well with the others.

Comments? 

Viewing 14 reply threads
    • Replies
        POW
        Participant

Dan, you scared me for a minute there. I thought you meant 4cm x 1cm! But you meant 4mm x 1mm. Whew!

I think that the variation you see (+ or – 2 mm) is within the error of measurement for a CT scan. I do know that routine MRIs have a resolution of 5 mm because before his gamma knife surgery my brother had to have a special MRI with 1 mm resolution. And MRIs are more sensitive than are CT scans. Therefore, I'm not sure that anyone can say for certain if your tumors are growing or shrinking; they seem pretty stable to me. If your last scan was 3 months ago and your tumors are essentially unchanged now and you have no new tumors, I'd call that a great result! Congratulations!!  

POW
          Participant

Dan, you scared me for a minute there. I thought you meant 4cm x 1cm! But you meant 4mm x 1mm. Whew!

I think that the variation you see (+ or – 2 mm) is within the error of measurement for a CT scan. I do know that routine MRIs have a resolution of 5 mm because before his gamma knife surgery my brother had to have a special MRI with 1 mm resolution. And MRIs are more sensitive than are CT scans. Therefore, I'm not sure that anyone can say for certain if your tumors are growing or shrinking; they seem pretty stable to me. If your last scan was 3 months ago and your tumors are essentially unchanged now and you have no new tumors, I'd call that a great result! Congratulations!!  

POW
            Participant

Bubbles
              Participant
                I know the main wish you must have is that all things considered measurable leasions would just EVAPORATE!!! However, in melanoma world…sounds like a basically stable report which is good! Dr. Weber has mentioned to me several times…not to mention what’s in the literature….that, like ipi, anti-PD1 can cause an inflammatory-like process in existing tumors that causes them to appear larger on scans before they demonstrate an ultimate reduction in size. (Not that your lesiions were appreciably larger…but still…) Hang in there! You got this!!! C

PS Did you get the 6 vaccine injections every 2 weeks for the first 6 months? Or just 4? I saw that they deleted two of the vaccines on the protocol in (?) january?

audgator
                  Participant

My arm of the study did not get any vaccines.  Even so, I had to sign a new consent today because they dropped the vaccines you mentioned.

Thanks for the responses, all.  I feel comfortable now viewing this as a stable report which I will be happy with for the rest of my hopefully long life.

audgator
                    Participant

My arm of the study did not get any vaccines.  Even so, I had to sign a new consent today because they dropped the vaccines you mentioned.

Thanks for the responses, all.  I feel comfortable now viewing this as a stable report which I will be happy with for the rest of my hopefully long life.

audgator
                      Participant

Bubbles
                      Participant
                        I know the main wish you must have is that all things considered measurable leasions would just EVAPORATE!!! However, in melanoma world…sounds like a basically stable report which is good! Dr. Weber has mentioned to me several times…not to mention what’s in the literature….that, like ipi, anti-PD1 can cause an inflammatory-like process in existing tumors that causes them to appear larger on scans before they demonstrate an ultimate reduction in size. (Not that your lesiions were appreciably larger…but still…) Hang in there! You got this!!! C

PS Did you get the 6 vaccine injections every 2 weeks for the first 6 months? Or just 4? I saw that they deleted two of the vaccines on the protocol in (?) january?

Bubbles
                        Participant

dellriol
                          Participant

I've had a similar report in the past.  they told me that is especially common with smaller lesions,and it's simply because a different tech did it.  every tech measures a little differently so when it's that small you really notice it. Plus some lesions don't show clear edges so the measurement can vary because of that.

dellriol
                            Participant

I've had a similar report in the past.  they told me that is especially common with smaller lesions,and it's simply because a different tech did it.  every tech measures a little differently so when it's that small you really notice it. Plus some lesions don't show clear edges so the measurement can vary because of that.

dellriol
                              Participant

audgator
                                Participant

ps: my wife reminds me that the doc did say "stable", not "shrinking".  Sorry.     Dan

audgator
                                  Participant

ps: my wife reminds me that the doc did say "stable", not "shrinking".  Sorry.     Dan

audgator
                                    Participant

awillett1991
                                      Participant
                                        Stable is awesome. My scans seem to always have a little mystery to them. – lymph node here, something there, especially PET. I hate the big ones. Spleens are optional anyway I think, like so many other parts I thought were required!

Congrats!

awillett1991
                                        Participant
                                          Stable is awesome. My scans seem to always have a little mystery to them. – lymph node here, something there, especially PET. I hate the big ones. Spleens are optional anyway I think, like so many other parts I thought were required!

Congrats!

awillett1991
                                          Participant

Congrats!

Viewing 14 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics