The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mitosis

Forums General Melanoma Community Mitosis

Participant

just curious if any of you smart, wonderful folk know if one is 'locked in' with mitotic rate of initial lesion…can it slow down, or speed up in subsequent lesions/metastasis? Haven't seen anything in the lit/research I've perused over the last 2  + yrs…however, I know it is a prognostic indicator of recurrence…thanks very much

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        sharon0803
        Participant

Great question!  I too wondered about this.

DebbieH
            Participant

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I've seen people with high mitotic rates with no recurrence and I've seen others with very low ones (like mine at less than 1) come back. 

DebbieH, stage 3C, NED 12+ years after interferon and no scans

SBeattie
              Participant

thank you…!

SBeattie
                Participant

thank you…!

SBeattie
                  Participant

thank you…!

DebbieH
                    Participant

I wouldn't worry too much about it.  I've seen people with high mitotic rates with no recurrence and I've seen others with very low ones (like mine at less than 1) come back. 

DebbieH
                      Participant

sharon0803
                      Participant

sharon0803
                        Participant

Janner
                          Participant

Mitosis (in some circles) is still a bit controversial because if something is invasive, it implies that some mitosis exists.  In addition, it really depends what sample of tissue you look at.  Right now, it's only used in staging to distinguish between stage IA and stage IB.  It's really a newer prognostic factor and depth, to date, is still THE most important prognostic factor.   

SBeattie
                              Participant

Thank you!

SBeattie
                                Participant

Thank you!

SBeattie
                                  Participant

Thank you!

Janner
                                  Participant

Mitosis (in some circles) is still a bit controversial because if something is invasive, it implies that some mitosis exists.  In addition, it really depends what sample of tissue you look at.  Right now, it's only used in staging to distinguish between stage IA and stage IB.  It's really a newer prognostic factor and depth, to date, is still THE most important prognostic factor.   

Janner
                                    Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics