The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma to lung?

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma to lung?

Participant
      I was diagnosed with melanoma in 2013 – stage 1a (if I recall correctly) – my dermatologist said it was just barely past in situ. Had a wide local excision with clean margins in May 2013. Have had regular checkups since. One atypical mole was found in 2019, no further course of action.

Unfortunately let my care slip a bit during the pandemic and haven’t seen a dermatologist in over a year.

I’m in New Zealand currently with family (primary residence is California) and as part of a routine chest x-ray for immigration, they found a 20mm x 8mm lesion in my lung. I’m having a CT scan on Tuesday.

Is this how metastatic melanoma would present?

I am a mother to two young children and love my life. I am terrified.

Viewing 1 reply thread
    • Replies
        boatski
        Participant
          I’m sure someone with a lot more knowledge than myself will chime in. Until then Lung melanoma can look like anything. My understanding is that it is more likely to be a single met rather than multiple, but that’s by no means a rule. I recently had ground glass nodules that they considered as a possibility of melanoma but it didn’t turn out to be the case. I guess mets are more likely to be solid than semi transparent(I.e., ground glass). Most of the example images show it as round or oval but that’s probably just more likely than a rule. The terrible thing about melanoma is there are basically no rules. That said, I’ve had lots of scares and none have turned out to be metastasis. Hopefully your follow ups will provide good news!
          Ireland1
          Participant
            Read your post and can empathise with how you’re feeling.  The majority of lung nodules are benign – but a history of malignancy such as melanoma, a new nodule since diagnosis of your melanoma (you may not have had precious chest X-rays) or larger lesions makes the risk of it being cancerous increase.  I hope that this will be a non melanoma related false alarm – there are lots of stories of those on this forum – particularly with lung nodules.  It’s so hard when something like this happens completely out of the blue – hoping you get this sorted quickly – it’s the not knowing is the worst bit.
        Viewing 1 reply thread
        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics