The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

melanoma surgery on thigh in am, questions

Forums General Melanoma Community melanoma surgery on thigh in am, questions

Participant

I am scheduled for surgery to further excise my newly diagnosed 1A melanoma on the back of my thigh in the morning. The surgeon was very brief and gave little information regarding my recovery other than I will have stitches for 3 weeks and shouldn't do squats. He told me I could continue running and walking.

I've done a little research and am finding rest after surgery is important and to expect pain.  Has anyone had an excision on their thigh that could share recovery expectations? Did you need more than local anesthesia for your procedure? Were you prescibed post-op antibiotics? What activity were you prescibed after surgery?

Honestly, I was planning on going in for the procedure on my own tomorrow and going back to most of my normal activities, and could use some realistic expectations. 

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        stevenallenschwartz
        Participant

Based on where most of us are with stage 3 & 4; you will be fine…. Do what your body tells you to do and be conservative with exercise. 

jennunicorn
          Participant

My excision was on my calf. It felt tight for a while, didn't feel comfortable doing more than walking on it for the first week. Pain was minimal. Ice packs and elevation for the first few days after helped with swelling. It might be uncomfortable to drive afterward, maybe getting someone to take you just in case might be helpful for the drive home afterward. I don't think you'll want to walk around much the same day or the next day. Be careful on stairs for a bit as well, just like with squats, you don't want to risk it popping open. Local anesthesia is fine, no reason to have more than that for just an excision. I did not get post-op antibiotics. 

dmalone
              Participant

Thanks for the tips. I appreciate your input.

Marksa2570
              Participant

I am a 1a and a runner – my melanoma was on my arm.   i was told not to run until after my stitches were out because stitches are an avenue for bacteria to get into a wound.    The surgery itself isn't bad at all.  

After the stitches were removed, I lifted something too heavy and my wound got infected which led to 10 days on antibiotics.    I encourage you to take good care of it.      What could have been 2 weeks without running became 4 weeks of no running and a way more pronounced scar.   

best wishes to you!   

dmalone
                  Participant

Great to know. I'm taking it easy and will continue to be very careful with activity for awhile! Thank you for your input!

Viewing 2 reply threads
              • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
              About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics