The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma Mets NOT Responding to Ratiation?

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma Mets NOT Responding to Ratiation?

Participant

I don't recall seeing much posted here about tumors not responding to radiation.

Don had cyberknife on an asymptomatic brain tumor, and a week later it was growing, bleeding, and swelling to the point that he was eventually paralyzed on one side and had speech problems.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

Also, does this mean the radiation to his pelvic area might have had the same affect (haven't had followup scans yet

Janet

I don't recall seeing much posted here about tumors not responding to radiation.

Don had cyberknife on an asymptomatic brain tumor, and a week later it was growing, bleeding, and swelling to the point that he was eventually paralyzed on one side and had speech problems.

Just wondering if anyone else has had this experience.

Also, does this mean the radiation to his pelvic area might have had the same affect (haven't had followup scans yet

Janet

Viewing 2 reply threads
    • Replies
        Wife of Carl
        Participant

Hi Janet,

My husband recently had a brain met.  He had surgery and then cyber knife to the surgical bed and to one other small met that was inoperable.  He also had radiation to a tumor on his jaw at the same time.  The tumor on the jaw is almost entirely disappeared, but the cyber knife to the brain did not work.  It has already grown bad in the radiated area as well as developing in several other areas of the brain.  They have sent him home on Hospice care.  However, he has continued to take the Zelboraf his doctor has put him on and seems much better the last couple of days.  Maybe the Zelboraf is working and there is a miracle in store for us.  

The radiation to your husband's pelvic area may be working, even if the cyber knife did not work on the brain.  My husband had cyber knife to a lung met last summer and it worked but the cyber knife in his brain did not work.  Melanoma is very tricky……just plain nasty!!!

Pat

Janet Lee
            Participant

Hi Pat,

Thanks for sharing your and Carl's experience. Yes, this melanoma is indeed a nasty trickster. I'm sorry to hear about Carl's situation, but my prayers for a Zelboraf miracle go out to you. I believe in miracles, and I believe in Zelboraf — my husband seems to be responding to the Z and I hope that is in store for you, too.

Janet

Janet Lee
              Participant

Hi Pat,

Thanks for sharing your and Carl's experience. Yes, this melanoma is indeed a nasty trickster. I'm sorry to hear about Carl's situation, but my prayers for a Zelboraf miracle go out to you. I believe in miracles, and I believe in Zelboraf — my husband seems to be responding to the Z and I hope that is in store for you, too.

Janet

Janet Lee
                Participant

Hi Pat,

Janet

Wife of Carl
                Participant

Hi Janet,

My husband recently had a brain met.  He had surgery and then cyber knife to the surgical bed and to one other small met that was inoperable.  He also had radiation to a tumor on his jaw at the same time.  The tumor on the jaw is almost entirely disappeared, but the cyber knife to the brain did not work.  It has already grown bad in the radiated area as well as developing in several other areas of the brain.  They have sent him home on Hospice care.  However, he has continued to take the Zelboraf his doctor has put him on and seems much better the last couple of days.  Maybe the Zelboraf is working and there is a miracle in store for us.  

The radiation to your husband's pelvic area may be working, even if the cyber knife did not work on the brain.  My husband had cyber knife to a lung met last summer and it worked but the cyber knife in his brain did not work.  Melanoma is very tricky……just plain nasty!!!

Pat

Wife of Carl
                  Participant

Hi Janet,

Pat

Viewing 2 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics