The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma lumps

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma lumps

Participant

I haven't been here for awhile. I am now taking strong radiation treatments for nearly golf ball size lumps on side of face and chest near armpit..  I just have 2 more treatments left. I am eating pain pills from the lump on side of face. Real sore.  My second Dr. recommended that I not take radiation, but a cancer nurse encouraged me to go see a radiation Dr.    I am now between a rock and hard place.  I don't know whether I should  ever go back to the second Dr. or not.???  I can't take anymore chemo because of serious heart disease.

I haven't been here for awhile. I am now taking strong radiation treatments for nearly golf ball size lumps on side of face and chest near armpit..  I just have 2 more treatments left. I am eating pain pills from the lump on side of face. Real sore.  My second Dr. recommended that I not take radiation, but a cancer nurse encouraged me to go see a radiation Dr.    I am now between a rock and hard place.  I don't know whether I should  ever go back to the second Dr. or not.???  I can't take anymore chemo because of serious heart disease.

I don't know what to do if the lumps don't go away. I was sort of waiting for this Ipilimumab chemo but FDA has put approval off another 3 months.

I really don't think they are in too much of a hurry to find a cure.   Big Business

Has anyone ever had big lumps treated with radiation?    Thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        James from Sydney
        Participant

not sure about your radiation question but ask your Docs if you can get PV10 otherwise know as Rose Bengal a low toxic Immune treatment that directly injects into tumor/lump, it is also thought to have bystander effect which means areas nearby might also get Immune response. The Company is Provectus and i believe they are allowing Compassionate use here in Australia and also the US but i am sure your Docs should know.

best wishes

James

James from Sydney
          Participant

not sure about your radiation question but ask your Docs if you can get PV10 otherwise know as Rose Bengal a low toxic Immune treatment that directly injects into tumor/lump, it is also thought to have bystander effect which means areas nearby might also get Immune response. The Company is Provectus and i believe they are allowing Compassionate use here in Australia and also the US but i am sure your Docs should know.

best wishes

James

Tracey FL
            Participant

Mom is finishing 4 weeks of WBR for her head.  She  also has big lumps on neck and torso.  She has tried two vaccine trials without success and is now heading to MD Anderson for evaluation for the IPI trial.  I dont know how the radiation would work on the torso and we will find out how it worked on the brain in 4 weeks at the next scan.  The radiation Dr should be able to help answer your questions.  I would find out if the radiation treatments keep you from any trials.  Wish I could answer your question.

Tracey

Tracey FL
              Participant

Mom is finishing 4 weeks of WBR for her head.  She  also has big lumps on neck and torso.  She has tried two vaccine trials without success and is now heading to MD Anderson for evaluation for the IPI trial.  I dont know how the radiation would work on the torso and we will find out how it worked on the brain in 4 weeks at the next scan.  The radiation Dr should be able to help answer your questions.  I would find out if the radiation treatments keep you from any trials.  Wish I could answer your question.

Tracey

LynnLuc
                Participant

I had radiation for 10 days for my melanoma in July 2009. I had to take Temodar the second 5 days to make the melanoma more reactive to the radiation. It began to shrink and shrunk by one third a month later…my radiation oncologist said he has know sometimes radiation can actually vaporize melanoma.

I then continued on Temodar until March 2010  although according to Mayo Clinic it had it stopped working in probably in January. Temodar ( Temozolomide) usually works for 5-6 months in most people-Chemically, Temodar resembles the older drug, dacarbazine, also called DTIC. I think it bought me time but I think the radiation did more for me…but that's mine own personal opinion.

Nebr78
                    Participant

I hope some of you see this. I would like to make a new post but it would end up here.   After reading for awhile there seems to be an increase of people taking IPI.    

I would like to know what the worst side effects were?      I have serious heart disease and can't take much strong stuff.  If I am still alive then, I think my Dr. wants to look into it.  I wish the FDA would hurry up instead of delaying.  I have had some strong radiation on 2 lumps. side of fact and right side of chest near right armpit.  Both nearly golf ball size.  Not doing much good although its only been a week since my last strong dose. The darn heart disease is my problem.  Only had it for 42-43 years.    Retired in Nebrask

KatyWI
                      Participant

the ipi side effects vary a LOT.  I've had practically nothing; other people have bad colitis, rashes, etc.  I am not, however, remembering anything from my trial paperwork that says heart disease would be a contraindication.  You know, right, that you DON'T have to wait for the FDA…there's a compassionate use prototocl where you can get the drug now (and the drug will be paid for).  I think it's worth pressing your doctor about.

KatyWI

KatyWI
                        Participant

the ipi side effects vary a LOT.  I've had practically nothing; other people have bad colitis, rashes, etc.  I am not, however, remembering anything from my trial paperwork that says heart disease would be a contraindication.  You know, right, that you DON'T have to wait for the FDA…there's a compassionate use prototocl where you can get the drug now (and the drug will be paid for).  I think it's worth pressing your doctor about.

KatyWI

Nebr78
                          Participant

I hope some of you see this. I would like to make a new post but it would end up here.   After reading for awhile there seems to be an increase of people taking IPI.    

I would like to know what the worst side effects were?      I have serious heart disease and can't take much strong stuff.  If I am still alive then, I think my Dr. wants to look into it.  I wish the FDA would hurry up instead of delaying.  I have had some strong radiation on 2 lumps. side of fact and right side of chest near right armpit.  Both nearly golf ball size.  Not doing much good although its only been a week since my last strong dose. The darn heart disease is my problem.  Only had it for 42-43 years.    Retired in Nebrask

LynnLuc
                          Participant

I had radiation for 10 days for my melanoma in July 2009. I had to take Temodar the second 5 days to make the melanoma more reactive to the radiation. It began to shrink and shrunk by one third a month later…my radiation oncologist said he has know sometimes radiation can actually vaporize melanoma.

I then continued on Temodar until March 2010  although according to Mayo Clinic it had it stopped working in probably in January. Temodar ( Temozolomide) usually works for 5-6 months in most people-Chemically, Temodar resembles the older drug, dacarbazine, also called DTIC. I think it bought me time but I think the radiation did more for me…but that's mine own personal opinion.

Viewing 5 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics