The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma in Toenail

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma in Toenail

Participant

Hi, I'm looking for some advice about whether I should seek a second opinion about a mark that has appeared under my toenail and has been there for about a year. I can't remember exactly how or when it started but assumed I had damaged it somehow without noticing and that it had bruised or was bleeding underneath the nail. It hasn't grown out with the nail and when I did a search on the internet read that it was advisable to seek medical advice if the mark doesn't grow out within a couple of months.

Hi, I'm looking for some advice about whether I should seek a second opinion about a mark that has appeared under my toenail and has been there for about a year. I can't remember exactly how or when it started but assumed I had damaged it somehow without noticing and that it had bruised or was bleeding underneath the nail. It hasn't grown out with the nail and when I did a search on the internet read that it was advisable to seek medical advice if the mark doesn't grow out within a couple of months.

My GP didn't seem to know much about it and said it was unlikely to be melanoma because it was too 'straight'. However from what I've read, this is a characteristic of this type of melanoma. I tried to attach a photo here but it doesn't seem to work. The mark is on my little toenail, is brown in colour (not reddidh or purple, more a light brown), and covers the inside half of the nail.

Grateful for any advice you can give.

Thanks

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        sharmon
        Participant

My husband, Brent is now stage IV because the doctors didn't respond to our concern about a toenail.  For your piece of mind have it looked into by really good derm.

sharmon
          Participant

My husband, Brent is now stage IV because the doctors didn't respond to our concern about a toenail.  For your piece of mind have it looked into by really good derm.

sharmon
            Participant

Janner
              Participant

I'd have a biopsy on anything that hasn't grown out in a reasonable period of time.  I might consider seeing a podiatrist as feet are their specialty.  Regardless of who you go to, INSIST on a biopsy.  No one can tell from just "looking" exactly what is going on.  If a doctor refuses to do a biopsy, I'm always prepared to ask them to guarantee in writing that this isn't anything serious.  ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Best wishes,

Janner

MichaelFL
                  Participant

Curious. Has any doctor ever done that? I doubt they would.

Lucassi
                    Participant

My husband Mike was also misdiagnosed; treated for toe nail fungus for 6 months, but actually had melanoma under the nail of the great toe.   By the time the correct diagnosis was made, the tumor had grown 11 mm deep and was ulcerated.  Although at the time of surgery, the SNB was clean, he is now stage four.  You can read about his history in his profile. 

Good luck to you.

Sigrid

polwilliams
                      Participant

Thank you all for your replies. I think the clear message is to get it checked out, which I will now make sure I do and insist on a biopsy. I can't believe something so small can end up causing so much illness and pain. Much love and positivity to you and your families.

Pauline

polwilliams
                        Participant

Thank you all for your replies. I think the clear message is to get it checked out, which I will now make sure I do and insist on a biopsy. I can't believe something so small can end up causing so much illness and pain. Much love and positivity to you and your families.

Pauline

polwilliams
                          Participant

Pauline

Lucassi
                            Participant

My husband Mike was also misdiagnosed; treated for toe nail fungus for 6 months, but actually had melanoma under the nail of the great toe.   By the time the correct diagnosis was made, the tumor had grown 11 mm deep and was ulcerated.  Although at the time of surgery, the SNB was clean, he is now stage four.  You can read about his history in his profile. 

Good luck to you.

Sigrid

Lucassi
                              Participant

Good luck to you.

Sigrid

MichaelFL
                                Participant

MichaelFL
                                  Participant

Janner
                                  Participant

I'd have a biopsy on anything that hasn't grown out in a reasonable period of time.  I might consider seeing a podiatrist as feet are their specialty.  Regardless of who you go to, INSIST on a biopsy.  No one can tell from just "looking" exactly what is going on.  If a doctor refuses to do a biopsy, I'm always prepared to ask them to guarantee in writing that this isn't anything serious.  ๐Ÿ˜‰ 

Best wishes,

Janner

Janner
                                    Participant

Best wishes,

Janner

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics