The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

melanoma in small intestine?

Forums General Melanoma Community melanoma in small intestine?

Participant

So I just had my latest scans.  I've been lucky to be clear since I had nodules show up in my lungs Jan 2011.  This time the scan shows a small section in my small intestine that states there is significant thickening of the wall?  I also have several lymph nodes around that area that are swollen.  

I must have some sort of small GI bleed since my hemoglobin was down to 5.6 on Tuesday when I went in for my appointment.  Got hospitalized to get 3 units of blood and responded very well to it.  

So I just had my latest scans.  I've been lucky to be clear since I had nodules show up in my lungs Jan 2011.  This time the scan shows a small section in my small intestine that states there is significant thickening of the wall?  I also have several lymph nodes around that area that are swollen.  

I must have some sort of small GI bleed since my hemoglobin was down to 5.6 on Tuesday when I went in for my appointment.  Got hospitalized to get 3 units of blood and responded very well to it.  

Sounds like the plan right now is to go ahead and start me on Zelboraf.  We already know I'm braf+ from my lung biopsy in March 2011.  There was talk of surgery but they don't now if they would get all the lymph nodes.  So the plan is to start with treatment.

Guess I'm wondering what thoughts/suggestions people have on melanoma in the intestine.  I've been told that it's a common place?  Wondering if there is a possiblity it could be something other than melanoma?  I know the only way to know is a biopsy.  Surgeon is saying that the only way to biopsy is to cut open and then might as well just take the section out…  I have lots of questions for my next appointment.  

Thanks everyone!

Erin

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        ockelly
        Participant

Hi Erin,

Kelly here… my husband has stage 3b mel, I am a nurse.  Here's what I know about mel in the sm intestine…. 

We have a close friend stage 4 mel with multiple recurrences/clinical trials, etc whose last recurrence was in his small intestine.  He had abdominal surgery and has been NED for 15 years.  When I told this story to Dr Margolin (Mel researcher at UWashington), she told us that mel in the small intestine if meticulously resected can be a cure.  I know that sounds a bit extreme but it is truly what she said.  She did stress that the surgeon must be highly skilled in the removal GI cancers.. So do your homework and find the top notch doc to do the job.  

Best of luck to you!!   Kelly

ockelly
          Participant

Hi Erin,

Kelly here… my husband has stage 3b mel, I am a nurse.  Here's what I know about mel in the sm intestine…. 

We have a close friend stage 4 mel with multiple recurrences/clinical trials, etc whose last recurrence was in his small intestine.  He had abdominal surgery and has been NED for 15 years.  When I told this story to Dr Margolin (Mel researcher at UWashington), she told us that mel in the small intestine if meticulously resected can be a cure.  I know that sounds a bit extreme but it is truly what she said.  She did stress that the surgeon must be highly skilled in the removal GI cancers.. So do your homework and find the top notch doc to do the job.  

ockelly
            Participant

Hi Erin,

benp
              Participant

Hi Erin, 

I had something almot identical around a month ago. Thickening of the bowel wall, and also an intussusception that was causing some problems. I am also on a BRAF inhibitor. My hemoglobin went to 8, felt pretty bad! I had surgery, and they removed a 20mm x 30mm bowel me (and 12.6cm of small bowel). Interestingly, this did not show up on a CT.  They ran through the rest of the bowel to make sure it was clear (it was).

The surgery was painful, though I recovered quickly. I am very glad it was done, and now I have another scar for the collection. I would assume that some similar treatment be prescribed for you.

Hope this helps, 

Ben.

benp
                Participant

Hi Erin, 

I had something almot identical around a month ago. Thickening of the bowel wall, and also an intussusception that was causing some problems. I am also on a BRAF inhibitor. My hemoglobin went to 8, felt pretty bad! I had surgery, and they removed a 20mm x 30mm bowel me (and 12.6cm of small bowel). Interestingly, this did not show up on a CT.  They ran through the rest of the bowel to make sure it was clear (it was).

The surgery was painful, though I recovered quickly. I am very glad it was done, and now I have another scar for the collection. I would assume that some similar treatment be prescribed for you.

Hope this helps, 

Ben.

benp
                  Participant

Hi Erin, 

Hope this helps, 

Ben.

Rebecca and Bob
                    Participant

Erin,

My husband had 3 small tumors removed from his small intestine, one showed up as intussusception. He had surgery, with two areas of the small bowel resected. He was in the hospital for 5 days and in about 10 days he was getting back to his normal self. They did exploratory surgery during and did not find it anywhere else.  It was a rough surgery but the he was able to schedule it not go in on an emergency basis. He had a great surgeon at NIH. Make sure you do find a good surgeon and at least get an opinion from them on what they think they can do. My husband also had it in his lungs and that was treated with IL-2 and VATS before the intestinal mets showed up a year later.

Our NIH doctor was also more on the positive side with us after complete resection. My husband has been NED almost 3 years, coming up in July. Still praying for NED.

Good luck in your choice.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                      Participant

Erin,

My husband had 3 small tumors removed from his small intestine, one showed up as intussusception. He had surgery, with two areas of the small bowel resected. He was in the hospital for 5 days and in about 10 days he was getting back to his normal self. They did exploratory surgery during and did not find it anywhere else.  It was a rough surgery but the he was able to schedule it not go in on an emergency basis. He had a great surgeon at NIH. Make sure you do find a good surgeon and at least get an opinion from them on what they think they can do. My husband also had it in his lungs and that was treated with IL-2 and VATS before the intestinal mets showed up a year later.

Our NIH doctor was also more on the positive side with us after complete resection. My husband has been NED almost 3 years, coming up in July. Still praying for NED.

Rebecca

Rebecca and Bob
                        Participant

Erin,

Rebecca

FormerCaregiver
                          Participant

Erin, I am sorry to read this. I was hoping that your immune system could keep you free
                            of melanoma without the need for treatment. However, the interaction between the immune
                            system and malignant cells is a complex and variable process that is yet to be fully
                            understood. Therefore, it is always wise to be vigilant and to pick up problems early as you have done.

Surgery is a good option. Zelboraf can also be very effective; however, newer drugs such
                            as MEK/PI3K or HSP90 inhibitors (XL888) should ideally be included in the treatment
                            plan. (See:
                            http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2012/02/18/1078-0432.CCR-11-2612).

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                            Participant

Erin, I am sorry to read this. I was hoping that your immune system could keep you free
                              of melanoma without the need for treatment. However, the interaction between the immune
                              system and malignant cells is a complex and variable process that is yet to be fully
                              understood. Therefore, it is always wise to be vigilant and to pick up problems early as you have done.

Surgery is a good option. Zelboraf can also be very effective; however, newer drugs such
                              as MEK/PI3K or HSP90 inhibitors (XL888) should ideally be included in the treatment
                              plan. (See:
                              http://clincancerres.aacrjournals.org/content/early/2012/02/18/1078-0432.CCR-11-2612).

Take care

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                              Participant

plan. (See:

Take care

Frank from Australia

Sherron
                                Participant

Erin, get to it quickly….My husband passed away on Nov 30, 2010….but went only Alternative …no surgeries, no trial, no WLE, No SNB….He lived for 4 years 3 months just great……had a great life, this is the way he wanted it…He was about quality life, not quanity……then boom, it exploded all over him, with the worst being in the intestines…They did do an emergency surgery, on the 19th, and he had   13 tumors….they took care of the immediate problems, but by then , it was too late to take care of the other tumors, too many, and he had been getting tranfusions every 2 weeks.  He never got to go home…on the 29th he went to Hospice and  he passed within 12 hours.

Take Care,

Sherron, wife to Jim FOREVER 

Sherron
                                  Participant

Erin, get to it quickly….My husband passed away on Nov 30, 2010….but went only Alternative …no surgeries, no trial, no WLE, No SNB….He lived for 4 years 3 months just great……had a great life, this is the way he wanted it…He was about quality life, not quanity……then boom, it exploded all over him, with the worst being in the intestines…They did do an emergency surgery, on the 19th, and he had   13 tumors….they took care of the immediate problems, but by then , it was too late to take care of the other tumors, too many, and he had been getting tranfusions every 2 weeks.  He never got to go home…on the 29th he went to Hospice and  he passed within 12 hours.

Take Care,

Sherron
                                    Participant

Take Care,

justlittleoleme
                                      Participant

Erin,

So sorry to see this latest news.  Praying that the Zelboraf will be your silver bullet.

Keeping you in my prayers.

barb

justlittleoleme
                                        Participant

Erin,

So sorry to see this latest news.  Praying that the Zelboraf will be your silver bullet.

barb

Erinmay22
                                            Participant

Thanks Everyone! 

Frank – yes I was hoping also that my immune system could keep it at bay!  Although my family thinks it's because I've been trying to do way too much.

They want to start Zelboraf right away to try and stop anything that is going on.  My only concern is that what if it's not melanoma?  Should I be asking for a PET? They said biopsy isn't easy of the area without surgery.  Darn Melanoma. 

So stay tuned…  Never a dull moment on the Melanoma roller coaster!

Erin

Erinmay22
                                              Participant

Thanks Everyone! 

Frank – yes I was hoping also that my immune system could keep it at bay!  Although my family thinks it's because I've been trying to do way too much.

They want to start Zelboraf right away to try and stop anything that is going on.  My only concern is that what if it's not melanoma?  Should I be asking for a PET? They said biopsy isn't easy of the area without surgery.  Darn Melanoma. 

Erin

FormerCaregiver
                                                Participant

Erin, I think that you should definitely be asking for a PET scan now. In fact, I wonder why you haven't already been scheduled for one as soon as the CT scan result was known? The concept of starting Zelboraf without the PET results is unwise as it assumes that melanoma is the only thing that can be the cause of the issue.

At the moment, there is not enough evidence to say that the problem is being caused by melanoma – so why start Zelboraf based on an assumption?

Good luck and take care.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                                  Participant

Erin, I think that you should definitely be asking for a PET scan now. In fact, I wonder why you haven't already been scheduled for one as soon as the CT scan result was known? The concept of starting Zelboraf without the PET results is unwise as it assumes that melanoma is the only thing that can be the cause of the issue.

At the moment, there is not enough evidence to say that the problem is being caused by melanoma – so why start Zelboraf based on an assumption?

Good luck and take care.

Frank from Australia

Erinmay22
                                                    Participant
                                                      Hi frank –

Yes I am going to ask about a pet on Tuesday when I am back to see my oncologist. While I keep being told that small intestine is common place for melanoma – I want to know for sure! What if it’s just something like irritable bowel disease? My stomach pain started when I had the flu really bad in December/jan. I thought I gave myself an ulcer from all the cough drops and cold pills I took.

But I know im in good hands – I trust my doctors at Sloan. I just don’t want to automatically assume melanoma is back.

So stay tuned!
                                                      Erin

Erinmay22
                                                      Participant
                                                        Hi frank –

Yes I am going to ask about a pet on Tuesday when I am back to see my oncologist. While I keep being told that small intestine is common place for melanoma – I want to know for sure! What if it’s just something like irritable bowel disease? My stomach pain started when I had the flu really bad in December/jan. I thought I gave myself an ulcer from all the cough drops and cold pills I took.

But I know im in good hands – I trust my doctors at Sloan. I just don’t want to automatically assume melanoma is back.

So stay tuned!
                                                        Erin

Erinmay22
                                                        Participant
                                                          Hi frank –

So stay tuned!
                                                          Erin

FormerCaregiver
                                                          Participant

Good luck and take care.

Frank from Australia

Erinmay22
                                                            Participant

Thanks Everyone! 

Erin

justlittleoleme
                                                            Participant

Erin,

barb

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                                          • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                          About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics