The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma and sun exposure

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma and sun exposure

Participant

Spring seems to be sputtering into life here and with it comes sunshine and outside activity.  I was never hypervigilant about sun exposure previously, although I was never a sun worshipper either.  Since my diagnosis 3 months ago I am curious about how paranoid of sun exposure I need to be going forward.  I don't think I've had a sunburn since I was a kid, I rarely use sun screen unless I'm planning to be in direct sun for over 30 minutes, usually always wear a hat, tee shirt and long pants when outside.  Does melanoma mean I should live in the shadows or ca

Spring seems to be sputtering into life here and with it comes sunshine and outside activity.  I was never hypervigilant about sun exposure previously, although I was never a sun worshipper either.  Since my diagnosis 3 months ago I am curious about how paranoid of sun exposure I need to be going forward.  I don't think I've had a sunburn since I was a kid, I rarely use sun screen unless I'm planning to be in direct sun for over 30 minutes, usually always wear a hat, tee shirt and long pants when outside.  Does melanoma mean I should live in the shadows or can I enjoy my outdoor life as in the past?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

My goal is to avoid getting color.   So if a hat and clothing or sunscreen take care of that, that's what I do.  I refuse to let melanoma take away from living life like I want.  I just modify a few things especially clothing.  Oh, and if I have a chance to do an outdoor activity early vs noon, I pick early.  Keep it simple.  Be sun smart, but live your life!

Janner
          Participant

My goal is to avoid getting color.   So if a hat and clothing or sunscreen take care of that, that's what I do.  I refuse to let melanoma take away from living life like I want.  I just modify a few things especially clothing.  Oh, and if I have a chance to do an outdoor activity early vs noon, I pick early.  Keep it simple.  Be sun smart, but live your life!

Janner
            Participant

hbecker
              Participant

Mark, I agree with Janner – you can enjoy being outside but perhaps be a bit more cautious than you were before. Your biggest threat of recurrence is local, at or near the original site – so you might want to consider some of the sun-protection clothing on the market, if that would make you feel a little more secure.

Also, I might up the sun screen applications to any time you're planning to be in the sun for 15 minutes or more – that will  offer a little more protection in case you underestimate.

Don't let the beast get you! Don't stay inside!

Best wishes —

Hazel

hbecker
                Participant

Mark, I agree with Janner – you can enjoy being outside but perhaps be a bit more cautious than you were before. Your biggest threat of recurrence is local, at or near the original site – so you might want to consider some of the sun-protection clothing on the market, if that would make you feel a little more secure.

Also, I might up the sun screen applications to any time you're planning to be in the sun for 15 minutes or more – that will  offer a little more protection in case you underestimate.

Best wishes —

Hazel

hbecker
                  Participant

Best wishes —

Hazel

Linny
                    Participant

I'm in about the same boat as you: not a sunworshipper, haven't had a suburn since I was a kid. Even as a kid, if I felt like I was burning or getting pink on the beach, I'd cover up and/or head for the shade. Sunscreens came out when I was in my late teens so that's when I started using sunscreen when I knew I'd be out in direct sun for more than 30 miunutes.

But yet, despite the precautions throughout the years, I have melanoma! And, and unknown primary to boot.

Even given this, I've never lived in the shadows nor do I intend to. And, neither should you. Just remember to wear sunscreen, a brimmed hat, and have long pants and a long-sleeved garment on hand in the event an area you missed is starting to burn. If you wear sandals or are barefoot, don't forget to put sunscreen on the tops of your feet. Also on your ears and ear lobes.

Linny
                      Participant

I'm in about the same boat as you: not a sunworshipper, haven't had a suburn since I was a kid. Even as a kid, if I felt like I was burning or getting pink on the beach, I'd cover up and/or head for the shade. Sunscreens came out when I was in my late teens so that's when I started using sunscreen when I knew I'd be out in direct sun for more than 30 miunutes.

But yet, despite the precautions throughout the years, I have melanoma! And, and unknown primary to boot.

Even given this, I've never lived in the shadows nor do I intend to. And, neither should you. Just remember to wear sunscreen, a brimmed hat, and have long pants and a long-sleeved garment on hand in the event an area you missed is starting to burn. If you wear sandals or are barefoot, don't forget to put sunscreen on the tops of your feet. Also on your ears and ear lobes.

Linny
                        Participant

Viewing 8 reply threads
                      • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                      About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics