The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma and food (diet)

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma and food (diet)

Participant
      After watching this video preview,

Healing Cancer From The Inside Out – Preview

I located a copy of the DVD and here are some of the numbers mentioned for melanoma patients.

After watching this video preview,

Healing Cancer From The Inside Out – Preview

I located a copy of the DVD and here are some of the numbers mentioned for melanoma patients.

It should be noted that these numbers are from 1995 when there was no successful treatments. 

——————————————————————

Stage II Malignant Melanoma

39% alive after 5 years (typical diet and conventional treatments)

82% alive after 5 years (plant based diet with no conventional treatments)

—————————————————————————–
      Stage IV Malignant Melanoma

6% alive after 4 years (Conventional treatment and typical diet)

39% alive after 4 years (adopted a 100% plant based diet)

——————————————————————————-
      Stage I & II Malignant Melanoma

That adapted a 100% plant based diet had a 100% survival rate after 5 years

——————————————————————————–
      Stage III Malignant Melanoma

That adapted a plant based diet had a 71% survival rate after 5 years.

Viewing 32 reply threads
    • Replies
        natasha
        Participant

whisch plant is it and where to buy?

natasha
          Participant

mlbjab
              Participant

Natasha – by  plant based, they mean vegetarian diet.

natasha
                Participant

Oh ,thst is interesting!!

I don't eat red meat at all , only chicken and fish .

A lot of vegs as well

Hopefully ,it will help me.

I agree to be vegetarian is much more healthy way to live ,but I can not be completely without meat ( I lke fish too much).

And also I suppose to be vegan (avoiding milk ,eggs ,cheese etc) is way too far…

natasha
                  Participant

A lot of vegs as well

I agree to be vegetarian is much more healthy way to live ,but I can not be completely without meat ( I lke fish too much).

And also I suppose to be vegan (avoiding milk ,eggs ,cheese etc) is way too far…

natasha
                    Participant

A lot of vegs as well

mlbjab
                      Participant

mlbjab
                        Participant

natasha
                        Participant

JC
                          Participant

What about sugar?

JC
                            Participant

What about sugar?

JC
                              Participant

What about sugar?

frankMill
                                Participant

I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy.   I was diagnosed with Stage IV on 8-17-12. On 8-18, I changed my diet to lots of organic veggies, fruits, berries, nuts and sometimes fish.  No dairy, no artificial sugars, no red meat, and no grains. Wow!  What a huge adjustment!  I've lost about 15 pounds but feel great. The weight loss has slowed and stabilized.  I'm hoping that this diet will help my immune system to get through the PD1 or IPI.   But the thing I've missed most is pizza πŸ™‚  I can't help but believe that foods are not only fuel but the bio-chemical building blocks of our body.  Has anyone else out there made the change to this kind of diet and did it help?   

Lawtonlady
                                    Participant

My hubby stage IV w brain mets  made all of those same changes and added in juicing wheatgrass and other green things. He also does smoothies. He still insists on occasional fish for protein and strength. He was only diagnosed a few months ago, but he has already dropped 20 pounds and I KNOW that is helpful. Less stress for the body so it can fight properly. 

frankMill
                                    Participant

I'm a meat and potatoes kind of guy.   I was diagnosed with Stage IV on 8-17-12. On 8-18, I changed my diet to lots of organic veggies, fruits, berries, nuts and sometimes fish.  No dairy, no artificial sugars, no red meat, and no grains. Wow!  What a huge adjustment!  I've lost about 15 pounds but feel great. The weight loss has slowed and stabilized.  I'm hoping that this diet will help my immune system to get through the PD1 or IPI.   But the thing I've missed most is pizza πŸ™‚  I can't help but believe that foods are not only fuel but the bio-chemical building blocks of our body.  Has anyone else out there made the change to this kind of diet and did it help?   

frankMill
                                      Participant

JC
                                        Participant

why is dairy bad?

JC
                                          Participant

why is dairy bad?

JC
                                            Participant

why is dairy bad?

frankMill
                                                Participant

I'm taking a novel approach. I compared the foods on the anti-gluten diet, Dr. Fuhrmann's immunity diet and the anti-angiogenic diet.  The foods that were on all three are the foods that I consume.  The foods are anti-angiogenic and alkalizing.  When I started the diet, my saliva pH was 5.2 (very acidic).  Today it's about a 7.0.  I'm hoping to get it to the 7.4 normal pH in the next month or so.  The primary reason I'm not eating dairy is that no dairy products are on Dr. Li's anti-angiogenic diet.  I'm not sure if this diet will help defeat the cancer, but my doctors say it can't hurt to lose weight and eat nutritious foods.

frankMill
                                                  Participant

I'm taking a novel approach. I compared the foods on the anti-gluten diet, Dr. Fuhrmann's immunity diet and the anti-angiogenic diet.  The foods that were on all three are the foods that I consume.  The foods are anti-angiogenic and alkalizing.  When I started the diet, my saliva pH was 5.2 (very acidic).  Today it's about a 7.0.  I'm hoping to get it to the 7.4 normal pH in the next month or so.  The primary reason I'm not eating dairy is that no dairy products are on Dr. Li's anti-angiogenic diet.  I'm not sure if this diet will help defeat the cancer, but my doctors say it can't hurt to lose weight and eat nutritious foods.

frankMill
                                                    Participant

Gene_S
                                                      Participant

http://www.naturalnews.com/035081_pasteurized_milk_cancer_dairy.html

Also check out some of the comments posted below the article!

Gene_S
                                                        Participant

Gene_S
                                                          Participant

JC
                                                          Participant

what about alcohol?

JC
                                                            Participant

what about alcohol?

JC
                                                              Participant

what about alcohol?

frankMill
                                                                  Participant

From what I've read, a glass of red wine is OK on the diets.  So I tried a cabernet a few days ago.  What a shock!  My tastebuds have really changed in the last month.  After the first swallow, I couldn't drink anymore.  So I tried another bottle with the same result.  Then I realized that because our tastebuds are simply acid/alkaline chemical receptors, as my system moved towards the alkaline scale, the acids taste far worse.  The only wine that I can now tolerate are white zinfindels or roses.    Small price to pay for better health!

frankMill
                                                                    Participant

From what I've read, a glass of red wine is OK on the diets.  So I tried a cabernet a few days ago.  What a shock!  My tastebuds have really changed in the last month.  After the first swallow, I couldn't drink anymore.  So I tried another bottle with the same result.  Then I realized that because our tastebuds are simply acid/alkaline chemical receptors, as my system moved towards the alkaline scale, the acids taste far worse.  The only wine that I can now tolerate are white zinfindels or roses.    Small price to pay for better health!

frankMill
                                                                      Participant

jordangurnzz
                                                                      Participant

I have stage 3c Melanoma and went 100% plant based as well.

I went through 20 days of radiation and 1 week of bio-chemo.

I was supposed to go back for 2 more cycles of bio-chemo but after everything i have read and researched seems like plant based is just as effective (and not as harmful) as Chemo.

if anyone is interested i have a blog (chemoblog.wordpress.com) where i have a bunch of the info i was looking at.

jordangurnzz
                                                                        Participant

I was supposed to go back for 2 more cycles of bio-chemo but after everything i have read and researched seems like plant based is just as effective (and not as harmful) as Chemo.

if anyone is interested i have a blog (chemoblog.wordpress.com) where i have a bunch of the info i was looking at.

jordangurnzz
                                                                          Participant

JC
                                                                            Participant

is chicken, turkey & fish as bad as red meat & pork?

JC
                                                                              Participant

JC
                                                                                Participant

JC
                                                                                  Participant

Is the official scientific stance from organizations like MRF to be vegeterian? 

JC
                                                                                    Participant

JC
                                                                                      Participant

jordangurnzz
                                                                                          Participant

No idea on if they take a stance on it, would need to dig in their site more but haven't been able to find anything specific yet.

jordangurnzz
                                                                                            Participant

No idea on if they take a stance on it, would need to dig in their site more but haven't been able to find anything specific yet.

tigger201962
                                                                                              Participant

Is there a site for recipes and different things to drink like smoothies

jordangurnzz
                                                                                                Participant

JC
                                                                                                Participant

so does animal protein actually cause melanoma??

jordangurnzz
                                                                                                    Participant

Animal Protein (according to "the China Study" and a few other websites i have looked at) is linked to most chronic illnesses (Cancer, Diabetes, Heart diease, etc)

Most doctors say the cause of melanoma is Sun Exposure, Fair Skin, Family History etc.

I am Dark Skined (brownish), No family History, and no real sun exposure that i can remember. 

I don't know if Animal Protein causes Melanoma specifically but from everything i have read i would rather Avoid something that is known to cause other types of cancer and promote it then gamble that Melanoma is the "exception"

I'm not a doctor or any type of nutritionist by any means but I will take responsibility for what i put in my face πŸ™‚ and from what i read/reading Animal protien isn't what i should be shoving inside of me.

jordangurnzz
                                                                                                      Participant

Animal Protein (according to "the China Study" and a few other websites i have looked at) is linked to most chronic illnesses (Cancer, Diabetes, Heart diease, etc)

Most doctors say the cause of melanoma is Sun Exposure, Fair Skin, Family History etc.

I am Dark Skined (brownish), No family History, and no real sun exposure that i can remember. 

I don't know if Animal Protein causes Melanoma specifically but from everything i have read i would rather Avoid something that is known to cause other types of cancer and promote it then gamble that Melanoma is the "exception"

I'm not a doctor or any type of nutritionist by any means but I will take responsibility for what i put in my face πŸ™‚ and from what i read/reading Animal protien isn't what i should be shoving inside of me.

jordangurnzz
                                                                                                        Participant

JC
                                                                                                        Participant

JC
                                                                                                          Participant

JC
                                                                                                            Participant

so chicken, turkey & fish are as bad for melanoma as Cocaine, Ecstasy and Acid would be for the general public?

jordangurnzz
                                                                                                                Participant

No sorry the paralle is comparing MEAT to DRUG's

I was more pointing out it isn't the type of "MEAT (or DRUG)" its the fact that it is a "MEAT(or DRUG)"

All DRUGS are not healthy for people just like all MEAT (regardless of "type") is not truly nescessary or healthy for people either.

I looked at my sistuation and said if i cut out the stuff that isn't good for me it will only make my body stronger and be better equipt to fight diease (Melanoma in this case).

It actually wasn't the meat that was hard to give up, it is the emotional attachment that is associated with the meat.

For example when ever i would have a BBQ (Carna Asada (Mexican Awesomeness) in this case) i always had a great time with friends and family and memories were made. I associated the BBQ (Carna Asada) with the good times and memories, where in fact it was the memories themselves that I was worried i would be "missing" out on if i cut out the meat.

Hope this helps πŸ™‚

jordangurnzz
                                                                                                                  Participant

I was more pointing out it isn't the type of "MEAT (or DRUG)" its the fact that it is a "MEAT(or DRUG)"

All DRUGS are not healthy for people just like all MEAT (regardless of "type") is not truly nescessary or healthy for people either.

I looked at my sistuation and said if i cut out the stuff that isn't good for me it will only make my body stronger and be better equipt to fight diease (Melanoma in this case).

It actually wasn't the meat that was hard to give up, it is the emotional attachment that is associated with the meat.

For example when ever i would have a BBQ (Carna Asada (Mexican Awesomeness) in this case) i always had a great time with friends and family and memories were made. I associated the BBQ (Carna Asada) with the good times and memories, where in fact it was the memories themselves that I was worried i would be "missing" out on if i cut out the meat.

Hope this helps πŸ™‚

jordangurnzz
                                                                                                                    Participant

Hope this helps πŸ™‚

JC
                                                                                                                    Participant

so chicken, turkey & fish are as bad for melanoma as Cocaine, Ecstasy and Acid would be for the general public?

JC
                                                                                                                      Participant

Viewing 32 reply threads
                                                                                                                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics