The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Melanoma and Corneal Transplants

Forums General Melanoma Community Melanoma and Corneal Transplants

Participant
      Have any of you had a corneal transplant (DLEK or DSAEK) since your MM dx? I had a 1.4 Clark's Level IV on my knee in 1995. No WLE, I had a conservative excision. No SNB as it was pretty new at the time. I am still NED with 6 month checkups with my derm and yearly chest x-rays and blood work. I now have Fuchs' Dystrophy and will have to have a corneal (or partial) transplants that will require steroid drops to prevent rejection. I read many years ago about the possibility of the MM returning if you use even over the counter steroid cream.

Have any of you had a corneal transplant (DLEK or DSAEK) since your MM dx? I had a 1.4 Clark's Level IV on my knee in 1995. No WLE, I had a conservative excision. No SNB as it was pretty new at the time. I am still NED with 6 month checkups with my derm and yearly chest x-rays and blood work. I now have Fuchs' Dystrophy and will have to have a corneal (or partial) transplants that will require steroid drops to prevent rejection. I read many years ago about the possibility of the MM returning if you use even over the counter steroid cream. Just wondering if any of you have any info on this.

Thanks,
      Cookie 

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        Janner
        Participant

Steroid use is controversial, but eye drops are basically localized and not systemic.  Long term systemic use would be a higher risk.  You are many years out since your diagnosis and the chances that you had lingering disease that would reappear if you used steroids is pretty slim.  I was diagnosed in 1992 and have had 3 primaries (no recurrences).  I have also had several eye surgeries which required the use of steroid drops.  Your eyesight is the immediate need and steroid drops are pretty critical for healing.  If it were me, I'd consider the eye surgery THE most important thing.  I, personally, would not give another thought to the steroid drop use.  You, obviously, have to do what makes YOU the most comfortable.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery, and congrats on being 16 years NED.

Best wishes,

Janner

Cookie
            Participant

Thanks Janner! That was pretty much what I was thinking but wanted to make sure that I am not missing something. I used to be a regular on this board (back in the MPIP) days but drifted away as the NED years passed. I have done searches but can't even find the articles I read way back then.

Cookie

Cookie
              Participant

Thanks Janner! That was pretty much what I was thinking but wanted to make sure that I am not missing something. I used to be a regular on this board (back in the MPIP) days but drifted away as the NED years passed. I have done searches but can't even find the articles I read way back then.

Cookie

Janner
              Participant

Steroid use is controversial, but eye drops are basically localized and not systemic.  Long term systemic use would be a higher risk.  You are many years out since your diagnosis and the chances that you had lingering disease that would reappear if you used steroids is pretty slim.  I was diagnosed in 1992 and have had 3 primaries (no recurrences).  I have also had several eye surgeries which required the use of steroid drops.  Your eyesight is the immediate need and steroid drops are pretty critical for healing.  If it were me, I'd consider the eye surgery THE most important thing.  I, personally, would not give another thought to the steroid drop use.  You, obviously, have to do what makes YOU the most comfortable.  Good luck on your upcoming surgery, and congrats on being 16 years NED.

Best wishes,

Janner

MichaelFL
                Participant

I just wanted to say nice job on hitting 16 years! Whatever you are doing, just keep doing it.

Michael-stage 1b with 14 years to go before hitting that 16 year mark.

Cookie
                    Participant

Thanks Michael! My docs also say to keep up what I am doing as it seems to be working. I drink green tea every day. For years I took 200 mcg Selenium but now I can get it in my multi-vitamin. Sounds like you are doing good. Just remember there are lots of people out there that have been disease free for years, you can be one of them too.

Best wishes!

Cookie

Cookie
                      Participant

Thanks Michael! My docs also say to keep up what I am doing as it seems to be working. I drink green tea every day. For years I took 200 mcg Selenium but now I can get it in my multi-vitamin. Sounds like you are doing good. Just remember there are lots of people out there that have been disease free for years, you can be one of them too.

Best wishes!

Cookie

MichaelFL
                      Participant

I just wanted to say nice job on hitting 16 years! Whatever you are doing, just keep doing it.

Michael-stage 1b with 14 years to go before hitting that 16 year mark.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics