The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Mel & Larry Update

Forums General Melanoma Community Mel & Larry Update

Participant
      Hey there, Friends!!!

Just want to give you a quick update on what’s going on here.

In April I had scans that showed a bit of mixed Larry the Lung Cancer progression- some stable stuff but a new lesion on my hip and some new lymph nodes lighting up. I had radiation to the hip and continued on a targeted chemo.

Then about 3 weeks ago I started to get a very mild but insistent back/shoulder pain and a changing cough. I tried to go the pulmonologist but had to take a COVID 19 test first. It took 10 days for me to get the results. UGH! I am COVID negative, though. So, when I saw the pulmonologist yesterday, he looked at my pet scan and said I have water in my lungs and he’d like to drain it out. :-0. The plan is to have my lungs drained and a CT Scan on Wed. I’ll also see the Rock Star, but at that point in time, we won’t have any results from the CT or the fluid cultures. Pneumonia is sounding good right now.

On the brighter side, I’ll start Julie & Sheri’s Grand Adventure 2020 (Grand Tetons, Yellowstone, and Glacier NPS) in 24 days! Yes friends, in just a little over 3 weeks we’ll hook Chubbs (the tiny trailer) to Subie Blue, say goodbye to the dog (she’s old and a long road trip like this won’t be fun for her) and hit the road! I can’t wait! Can ya’ tell!?! I’ll post pictures when I’m back,

Thank you, friends for your love and support.

Shalom!
      Julie

Viewing 6 reply threads
    • Replies
        gopher38
        Participant
          Great update. Too bad the virus test came back negative, because you could have made a claim to be the first Larry, Mel, and … Cory (?) Covid patient on the planet. Quite a distinction.

That camping trip sounds fantastic. Pictures definitely.

Bubbles
          Participant
            Oh, Julie!! So sorry that you’ve been feeling unwell! Glad you don’t have COVID, but I don’t want you to have anything else either!!! Sounds like you are on top of it and have a good plan in place. Will have all fingers and toes crossed for you on Wednesday!

I love that brighter side! Can’t wait to hear all the tales and beauty that I know you will find on the J&S Grand Adventure!!! B and I took a train from Chicago to Whitefish (That was CRAZY right there!!!) and spent a wonderful week in Glacier. Such an incredible place!!! Haven’t ever seen the Grand Tetons or Yellowstone, though – so I am eager for your stories and pics.

Much love and hugs, dear friend!!! Keep us posted! love, les

MelMel
            Participant
              It’s always nice to hear from you, just wish you did not have to deal with the lung issue. It’s good you are taking care of it because my mom had a collapsed lung and pneumonia and it turned out to be caused by the lung cancer, thus her cancer diagnosis.

The trip will be fantastic and being that you will spend most of the time outdoors it should be most beneficial in more ways than one. Interestingly enough, my mom visited Yellowstone and although she has travelled extensively to all corners of the globe she was most imptessed by the nature in Yellowstone. She calls it as a totally eye opening experience, after which she has a new respect for Mother Nature.
              Looking forward to the pictures, until then have a wonderful and safe journey, take care and enjoy!
              Melanie

tedtell1
              Participant
                Hi Julie;
                Great to hear from you. Glad you are covid negative, sucks that you have fluid where it’s not supposed to be! Hope you get to feeling better for your wonderful adventure and you have a wonderful time. Make sure to provide us a slide show when you return.
                Blessings,
                Ted
                  slholmdahl
                  Participant
                    I know you will have a wonderful trip! Hopefully next week will go well. Its good to read your update, sorry about the medical bureaucracy!
                  lkb
                  Participant
                    Thanks for the update! I hope there is no Curly Joe to add to Larry and Mel(ish). Fab trip coming up and I’m already excited to see your photos. Hang tough, Julie!
                      Mark_DC
                      Participant
                        Good luck Julie – should have posted earlier sorry! – hope will be good news and that you will have a great road trip
                        Mark
                        Mark_DC
                        Participant
                          Good luck Julie – should have posted earlier sorry! – hope will be good news and that you will have a great road trip
                          Mark
                        jbronicki
                        Participant
                          Hey Julie, Ditto to what Mark said, should have posted sooner too. As my boss likes to say, “You are livin’ the dream”. While I’m not happy to hear about the fluid in the lungs (hope the draining goes well) I can’t wait to hear about the road trip ! I’m hoping both Mel and Larry just depart soon for places far far away. Glad the COVID test was negative, can’t wait to see the pics from your trip. My dream is to one day also have a silver “airstream”.

You have our support always!
                          xo
                          jackie

jbronicki
                          Participant
                            Hey Julie, Ditto to what Mark said, should have posted sooner too. As my boss likes to say, “You are livin’ the dream”. While I’m not happy to hear about the fluid in the lungs (hope the draining goes well) I can’t wait to hear about the road trip ! I’m hoping both Mel and Larry just depart soon for places far far away. Glad the COVID test was negative, can’t wait to see the pics from your trip. My dream is to one day also have a silver “airstream”.

You have our support always!
                            xo
                            jackie

Viewing 6 reply threads
                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics