The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Man the barricade!

Forums General Melanoma Community Man the barricade!

Participant

So there was a big dustup today over on the ocumel list, which brings up the question:  How do newbies find their way to that list and how can this list be positioned to capture the same audience?   I think I found ocumel via the Choroidal_Melanoma yahoo group, so we can certainly spread the word there.  Having started in the Yahoo group and then moving to ocumel once I went Stage IV, I've tended to assume that was a normal progression.  I just never read that many yahoo posts from metastatic survivors.

So there was a big dustup today over on the ocumel list, which brings up the question:  How do newbies find their way to that list and how can this list be positioned to capture the same audience?   I think I found ocumel via the Choroidal_Melanoma yahoo group, so we can certainly spread the word there.  Having started in the Yahoo group and then moving to ocumel once I went Stage IV, I've tended to assume that was a normal progression.  I just never read that many yahoo posts from metastatic survivors.

There must be other sources.  Renee at Jefferson knows about this site, since she was at the conference, and we did, afterall, giver her a well-deserved standing O.   I know she used to steer new patients toward ocumel, and no doubt there are other health practitioners doing the same out of habit.  So how do we spread the word to them?

**CLINK CLINK**  (tapping on the glass)  Note to Dr. Sarah!  Do you guys have web tracking data to show from where new users come to this site?  Does MRF have banner ads anywhere with tracking data?

I still think the posting process here is way to slow, but it's smelling more and more like revolt over at ocumel — you know, that faint hint of gunpowder, tears and bad cheese.   The time is ripe to shuttle more members this way.  Now if you'd all join me in a chorus from Les Miserables…

No one?

–Tom

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        tommonoli
        Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

Richard

tommonoli
          Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

Richard

tommonoli
            Participant

๐Ÿ™‚

Richard

Oakdene_Cottage
              Participant

Hey Tom, 

I agree… the posting process here isn't as easy to use as simply replying to an email on a ListServ or a posting on Facebook.  Here is what I've done to make it a little easier:

1. At the top of the forum page, click on the RSS symbol called "Subscribe to All Topics."

2. This will open a new page.

3. On the far right under "Actions" you can subscribe via RSS through your email, or simply bookmark the page. You will need to "Update" the page under "Actions" each time you visit.

This cuts down on needing to sign in and check individual posts… especially if you are a member of several different forums/groups.  

Also, at the end of each post, you can choose if you want to be alerted via email when someone responds to that particular topic.  This way your inbox isn't flooded with messages you don't want to read. 

Hope this helps. 

=) 

Sarah Elizabeth 

ThatHomeschoolDad
                  Participant

Yeah, I do get every message by email, and I've responded that way, so no prob.  I am a fan of this format, like a Yahoo group, in which you can see a whole thread.  I think the servers are just slow.

–Tom

Oakdene_Cottage
                    Participant

How do you respond via email?  I just tried it, and I don't think it worked.  

Oakdene_Cottage
                      Participant

Oakdene_Cottage
                        Participant

ThatHomeschoolDad
                          Participant

Yeah, I do get every message by email, and I've responded that way, so no prob.  I am a fan of this format, like a Yahoo group, in which you can see a whole thread.  I think the servers are just slow.

–Tom

ThatHomeschoolDad
                            Participant

–Tom

Oakdene_Cottage
                            Participant

Hey Tom, 

I agree… the posting process here isn't as easy to use as simply replying to an email on a ListServ or a posting on Facebook.  Here is what I've done to make it a little easier:

1. At the top of the forum page, click on the RSS symbol called "Subscribe to All Topics."

3. On the far right under "Actions" you can subscribe via RSS through your email, or simply bookmark the page. You will need to "Update" the page under "Actions" each time you visit.

This cuts down on needing to sign in and check individual posts… especially if you are a member of several different forums/groups.  

Also, at the end of each post, you can choose if you want to be alerted via email when someone responds to that particular topic.  This way your inbox isn't flooded with messages you don't want to read. 

Hope this helps. 

=) 

Sarah Elizabeth 

Oakdene_Cottage
                              Participant

Hey Tom, 

Hope this helps. 

=) 

Sarah Elizabeth 

Viewing 5 reply threads
                            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byย MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics