The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymph node freakout

Forums General Melanoma Community Lymph node freakout

Participant

Today it feels like there's swelling in my nodes on my jaw/neck near my WLE scar. My onc declared them normal just on Tuesday. Can't it happen that fast? I'm freaking out. I'm touching that area constantly. Can't help it. Am I making this happen? I thought I'd gotten past the fear, but now it's back. What a mess I am. Please give me courage, God!

Steve   

Today it feels like there's swelling in my nodes on my jaw/neck near my WLE scar. My onc declared them normal just on Tuesday. Can't it happen that fast? I'm freaking out. I'm touching that area constantly. Can't help it. Am I making this happen? I thought I'd gotten past the fear, but now it's back. What a mess I am. Please give me courage, God!

Steve   

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        Fen
        Participant

Steve – deep breath!  Lymph nodes swell a little for a lot of reasons – you might have a little cold or it might be responding to being touched a lot.  I remember that panic well and in my case it was unfounded.  Make another appt. with your onc, but if he/she just saw you on Tuesday it is unlikely that any swelling is due to mel.     Been there, Steve, and I'm sending prayers and good thoughts.

Fen

Fen
          Participant

Steve – deep breath!  Lymph nodes swell a little for a lot of reasons – you might have a little cold or it might be responding to being touched a lot.  I remember that panic well and in my case it was unfounded.  Make another appt. with your onc, but if he/she just saw you on Tuesday it is unlikely that any swelling is due to mel.     Been there, Steve, and I'm sending prayers and good thoughts.

Fen

Lisa13
            Participant

Steve,

It's probably nothing and your paranoia is getting the best of you 🙂   Yes, nodes can all of a sudden swell, but you were just seen on Tuesday with no problems. If there is swelling around your WLE scar, it could be scar tissue.  I had my groin lymph nodes dissected in February and the area around the scar and to the left of it feels hard and lumpy. I went to see my surgical onc. because I thought it was my lymph nodes or the return of melanoma, but she said it was scar tissue.  You could always go back and have them examine you again for peace of mind. I don't let anything sit around and wait when it comes to melanoma.

Try not to freak out – I"m sure everything will be okay. Stop touching and imagining the worst – I know it's hard, but I think you should have it looked at again to be sure.

Lisa 

Lisa13
              Participant

Steve,

It's probably nothing and your paranoia is getting the best of you 🙂   Yes, nodes can all of a sudden swell, but you were just seen on Tuesday with no problems. If there is swelling around your WLE scar, it could be scar tissue.  I had my groin lymph nodes dissected in February and the area around the scar and to the left of it feels hard and lumpy. I went to see my surgical onc. because I thought it was my lymph nodes or the return of melanoma, but she said it was scar tissue.  You could always go back and have them examine you again for peace of mind. I don't let anything sit around and wait when it comes to melanoma.

Try not to freak out – I"m sure everything will be okay. Stop touching and imagining the worst – I know it's hard, but I think you should have it looked at again to be sure.

Lisa 

MichaelFL
                Participant

As other have said, do not palpate your nodes! Do not touch, move, feel, rub, etc. – leave them alone. That alone will make them swollen and sore.

Michael

MichaelFL
                  Participant

As other have said, do not palpate your nodes! Do not touch, move, feel, rub, etc. – leave them alone. That alone will make them swollen and sore.

Michael

Rebecca and Bob
                    Participant

They are all correct, my husband had a lymph node pop up out of nowhere after a break of doing IL-2. He surely thought it was melanoma spreading, but it was his body reacting and the more he touched it the worse it got. He left it alone and it went away. Try not to think the worst yet.

Rebecca

My husband Bob stage IV NED 2 years after IL-2 & Surgery. Lung and Intestinal mets.

Rebecca and Bob
                      Participant

They are all correct, my husband had a lymph node pop up out of nowhere after a break of doing IL-2. He surely thought it was melanoma spreading, but it was his body reacting and the more he touched it the worse it got. He left it alone and it went away. Try not to think the worst yet.

Rebecca

My husband Bob stage IV NED 2 years after IL-2 & Surgery. Lung and Intestinal mets.

Viewing 7 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics