The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymph Node Enlarged

Forums General Melanoma Community Lymph Node Enlarged

Participant
      Good morning.

I have a question for anyone who would like to help.

I was diagnosed back in November with Melanoma. I had my WLE done last week. I did not have the SNB done. My surgeon did check my lymph nodes in my groin area that day as the Melanoma is on the left thigh. She did not feel anything. Yesterday I pressing against my vanity when looking in the mirror and felt discomfort in my groin area. Felt on my left side and there is a pea sized lump there. Of course my mind goes right to the worst place. I have been suffering the last 2 months with a tailbone issue and then did something to my lower back/buttock area left side, like I put my back out(I sound like my mother now!) Or pulled a muscle 3days ago. So that side is in bad shape already.

I am just wondering if anyone had lymph nodes swollen in that area that was not melanoma or experienced anything like that? My WLE was on the 31st of december. Could it happen that fast after her just checking my groin and felt nothing? I know it is unpredictable and anything I am sure can happen, just wondering peoples thoughts.

Monday can’t come fast enough to call my Dr. Or should I just go to emergency and get someone to check it there. I don’t want to be over paranoid all the time but it’s so hard not to be now.

Thoughts anyone?

Viewing 8 reply threads
    • Replies
        Linny
        Participant

I don't blame you for feeling paranoid. And, of course you discovered this on a Saturday. sad

Since you just had the WLE done and have some other issues going on, it's very possible this could just be a reactive node, which means your lymph system is just trying to do its job.

Linny
          Participant

I don't blame you for feeling paranoid. And, of course you discovered this on a Saturday. sad

Since you just had the WLE done and have some other issues going on, it's very possible this could just be a reactive node, which means your lymph system is just trying to do its job.

Yvonne.D
              Participant
                Things always do happen on a weekend! πŸ™‚ Thank you for mentioning it could be a reactive node. That side has been taking. Hit lately with everything so fingers crossed thats ot.
                Yvonne.D
                Participant
                  Things always do happen on a weekend! πŸ™‚ Thank you for mentioning it could be a reactive node. That side has been taking. Hit lately with everything so fingers crossed thats ot.
                  Yvonne.D
                  Participant
                  Linny
                  Participant

WendyD.
                    Participant

Hi there, I'm sorry you are going through this. I too was just diagnosed with melanoma. I had my biopsy done in November and got my results around December 6th. I didn't have to have a SNB done either. Since you just had your WLE done it may be because of that your node is swollen. I would address the situation with your doctor and that might lead him/her to give you some antibiotics. Sometimes the excisions get infected and that too can cause a swollen lympnode. I know it's very hard to not worry, but I have read others that have posted here say look at all the normal causes first before assuming the worst. I wish you lots of good health and many years to come. πŸ™‚

Yvonne.D
                        Participant
                          Thanks Wendy. I would not be surprised if it is infected and the surgeon did say that and lets hope that it is that. Sounds kinda funny wishing for a infection but oh how I want it to be! I read everyones stories and how positive they are and hope that I to can be as positive and strong as everyone is on this site. I am going to give it my all thats for sure!

I am sorry to hear that you were recently diagnosed as well. Many blessings and I too wish you a long and healthy life ahead!

Yvonne.D
                          Participant
                            Thanks Wendy. I would not be surprised if it is infected and the surgeon did say that and lets hope that it is that. Sounds kinda funny wishing for a infection but oh how I want it to be! I read everyones stories and how positive they are and hope that I to can be as positive and strong as everyone is on this site. I am going to give it my all thats for sure!

I am sorry to hear that you were recently diagnosed as well. Many blessings and I too wish you a long and healthy life ahead!

Yvonne.D
                            Participant

WendyD.
                            Participant

Hi there, I'm sorry you are going through this. I too was just diagnosed with melanoma. I had my biopsy done in November and got my results around December 6th. I didn't have to have a SNB done either. Since you just had your WLE done it may be because of that your node is swollen. I would address the situation with your doctor and that might lead him/her to give you some antibiotics. Sometimes the excisions get infected and that too can cause a swollen lympnode. I know it's very hard to not worry, but I have read others that have posted here say look at all the normal causes first before assuming the worst. I wish you lots of good health and many years to come. πŸ™‚

WendyD.
                              Participant

BrianP
                                Participant

Hey Yvonne,

I know it's tough not to let your mind wonder to the worst case scenario.  I recently had a similar experience which I posted here:

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/enlarged-lymph-node-question

I think one thing that should ease your mind is "generally" lymph nodes that are inflamed are tender whereas melanoma nodes often are not sore.  I know that was the case with my melanoma lymph node in 2011 not being painful and the one I had recently which was painful seemed to resolve its self over about 4-5 days.

Brian

Yvonne.D
                                    Participant
                                      Hey Brian. Thank you for the link. Your information makes me feel better. My thigh is in rough shape. I have a huge bruise and feel quite warm as if getting a fever and my whole groin area on my left is tender now so think its working overtime. So bring on the infection!! I am ready for yah. πŸ™‚ Fingers crossed.

Keep yah posted.

Thanks!

Yvonne.D
                                      Participant
                                        Hey Brian. Thank you for the link. Your information makes me feel better. My thigh is in rough shape. I have a huge bruise and feel quite warm as if getting a fever and my whole groin area on my left is tender now so think its working overtime. So bring on the infection!! I am ready for yah. πŸ™‚ Fingers crossed.

Keep yah posted.

Thanks!

Yvonne.D
                                        Participant

Keep yah posted.

Thanks!

BrianP
                                        Participant

Hey Yvonne,

I know it's tough not to let your mind wonder to the worst case scenario.  I recently had a similar experience which I posted here:

http://www.melanoma.org/find-support/patient-community/mpip-melanoma-patients-information-page/enlarged-lymph-node-question

I think one thing that should ease your mind is "generally" lymph nodes that are inflamed are tender whereas melanoma nodes often are not sore.  I know that was the case with my melanoma lymph node in 2011 not being painful and the one I had recently which was painful seemed to resolve its self over about 4-5 days.

Brian

BrianP
                                          Participant

Hey Yvonne,

Brian

Viewing 8 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide byΒ MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics