The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lymph node biopsy is melanoma

Forums General Melanoma Community Lymph node biopsy is melanoma

Participant

I read a lot on here but I don't feel like I know enough to respond to questions. 

i recently had a biopsy of one of 2 enlarged lymph nodes in my left underarm and it came back as melanoma. I have small lesions on my liver and 7 small lesions in my lungs. I had more on my adrenal gland and some bones but have been taking Keytruda for almost a year last December. I haven't had a treatment since then. My doctor is changing me to the nivo/ipi combo every 3 weeks starting the 30th. From what I have read there are more side effects from the ipi and maybe a better response. Does anyone agree or have any other words of wisdom for me. I appreciate how kind everyone is on here and I hope to be able to share something with others.

Viewing 0 reply threads
    • Replies
        majahops
        Participant

For all intents and purposes, Keytruda (Pembrolizumab) = Nivolumab. Adding Ipilimumab to Nivolumab enhances efficacy considerably. It also enhances the risk of major adverse effects considerably. However if you've had progression of disease while on Keytruda, then that risk is almost certainly worth it. I hope that somewhat answers your question?

Dwarla
            Participant

Thank you. That is basically what I had read. Now to deal with this development and stay strong.

Edwin
              Participant

For me Yervoy/Opdivo immunotherapy side effects were much worse that those with Keytruda.   However, the Yervoy/Opdivo immunotherapy put my melanoma into remission.  In August 2015 I was diagnosed with stage 4 melanoma.  I began receiving Keytruda in November 2015.   My March 2016 PET scan showed my cancer was much worse with melanoma in many bones.  I began Yervoy/Opdivo immunotherapy on April 1, 2016.   That caused very bad diarrhea and too much weight loss.  My oncologist gave me only Opdivo for 2 treatments until I gained weight.  She reduced my dose of Yervoy by 50% for my next 3 Yervoy/Opdivo treatments.  I could run again in July 2016.   I have been reasonably healthy since July 2016.   I set a new Minnesota 10 mile age 74 road race record on October 1, 2017.   I feel well, but my last PET scan showed probable cancer in a neck lymph node.  A biopsy is recommended.  Whatever happens now, I know that I have been fortunate.  I have had 2 good years that I did not expect.  I received my 50th infusion of Opdivo last week.  Be sure to contact your doctor, if you experience problems with your new treatment.

bjeans
                Participant

Edwin, and I've learned enough from the patients and experts here to know you will have such better options today than even five years ago. So may your two years morph to 22. Or more. And congratulations on your 10-mile record!! Wow. 

Viewing 0 reply threads
            • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
            About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics