The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lumps, Bumps, etc

Forums General Melanoma Community Lumps, Bumps, etc

Participant

I'm close to 3 months out from my WLE and lymph node dissection (groin). I've had a very small amount of lymphedema in  my leg but nothing major.  As a woman, I've also had some swelling in my vaginal area (sorry boys) :).  I've noticed a long, hard bump in between my scar (groin) and pelvic region.  I know it can be a number of things, but I wanted to know if anyone could suggest what it could be based on their own experiences.  There is no pain, it just feels hard amd long, not like a cyst and it's not on my scar.

I'm close to 3 months out from my WLE and lymph node dissection (groin). I've had a very small amount of lymphedema in  my leg but nothing major.  As a woman, I've also had some swelling in my vaginal area (sorry boys) :).  I've noticed a long, hard bump in between my scar (groin) and pelvic region.  I know it can be a number of things, but I wanted to know if anyone could suggest what it could be based on their own experiences.  There is no pain, it just feels hard amd long, not like a cyst and it's not on my scar. I'm not sure if I should make an appointment for my surginal oncologist to check it out.  I'm thinking because there is fluid there, it's created something abnormal.

Thanks,

Lisa

Viewing 7 reply threads
    • Replies
        carolegarry
        Participant

Hi Lisa,

I am 3 months past lymph node resection of my right armpit. At first I had a firm round mass (about 1/2 inch.in size.  Now  I have a long firm mass which is non-tender (about 2 inches long). The surgeon, oncologist and dermatologist assure me that it is just scarring down of some muscle tissue that was cut.  My scans do not show that it is cancer.

Carole 3C back

carolegarry
          Participant

Hi Lisa,

I am 3 months past lymph node resection of my right armpit. At first I had a firm round mass (about 1/2 inch.in size.  Now  I have a long firm mass which is non-tender (about 2 inches long). The surgeon, oncologist and dermatologist assure me that it is just scarring down of some muscle tissue that was cut.  My scans do not show that it is cancer.

Carole 3C back

Wetterhorn
            Participant

Lisa –

Been on the board waiting for responses to my own question, but thought I'd chime in as I was in a similar situation. Had a mole on leg, WLE and lymph node dissection in groin after sentinel node was positive.

I did have 2 subcutaneous tumors develop in my leg between my original mole near my knee and my groin, basically in the middle of my thigh. This occurred about 18 months after my WLE and Lymph node dissection. The sub q was first found on PET/CT (concurrently with a lung met, unfortunately) and after about a week of searching, I was able to feel it. I did end up having surgery to remove it at same time I had the lung tumor was removed.

The sub q was a hard, very defined bump under the skin. It did not hurt and was probably 1cm across. It was not long like u mention, but felt quite symmetrical. The doc removed it with an incision of about 2 inches.

3 Months later, it recurred in nearly the same spot. I actually found it before I was scanned. Had a needle biopsy to confirm. Again, it was hard and quite defined. Had a second surgery (outpatient) to remove it and have not recurred in that spot since (this was in Aug 2009).

I had a one other scare in the same area in Dec 2009 that got checked out only to be false alarm. It was a much bigger bump, nearly golf ball size, but not nearly as hard. It went away a few months later.

If this sounds like your case, it couldn't hurt to get a needle biopsy done (or at least see your onc; they have a pretty good feel for these things quite quickly). However, since it is pretty recent, its also quite possibly just a complication of the surgery.

Hope this helps.

Wetterhorn

Vermont_Donna
                Participant

Dear Lisa,

Yes make an appointment to see your physician….always when things like this arise, get seen. If it is more melanoma you want to know and do with it early rather than later. If it is a surgical complication your doc needs to assess it and treat if treatment is warranted. Please, for peace of mind, make the appointment!

Wishing you good health!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Lisa13
                  Participant

I'm seeing my surgical oncologist on May 27th.  Better to be safe – thanks everyone!

Lisa

Lisa13
                    Participant

I'm seeing my surgical oncologist on May 27th.  Better to be safe – thanks everyone!

Lisa

Vermont_Donna
                      Participant

Dear Lisa,

Yes make an appointment to see your physician….always when things like this arise, get seen. If it is more melanoma you want to know and do with it early rather than later. If it is a surgical complication your doc needs to assess it and treat if treatment is warranted. Please, for peace of mind, make the appointment!

Wishing you good health!

Vermont_Donna, stage 3a

Wetterhorn
                      Participant

Lisa –

Been on the board waiting for responses to my own question, but thought I'd chime in as I was in a similar situation. Had a mole on leg, WLE and lymph node dissection in groin after sentinel node was positive.

I did have 2 subcutaneous tumors develop in my leg between my original mole near my knee and my groin, basically in the middle of my thigh. This occurred about 18 months after my WLE and Lymph node dissection. The sub q was first found on PET/CT (concurrently with a lung met, unfortunately) and after about a week of searching, I was able to feel it. I did end up having surgery to remove it at same time I had the lung tumor was removed.

The sub q was a hard, very defined bump under the skin. It did not hurt and was probably 1cm across. It was not long like u mention, but felt quite symmetrical. The doc removed it with an incision of about 2 inches.

3 Months later, it recurred in nearly the same spot. I actually found it before I was scanned. Had a needle biopsy to confirm. Again, it was hard and quite defined. Had a second surgery (outpatient) to remove it and have not recurred in that spot since (this was in Aug 2009).

I had a one other scare in the same area in Dec 2009 that got checked out only to be false alarm. It was a much bigger bump, nearly golf ball size, but not nearly as hard. It went away a few months later.

If this sounds like your case, it couldn't hurt to get a needle biopsy done (or at least see your onc; they have a pretty good feel for these things quite quickly). However, since it is pretty recent, its also quite possibly just a complication of the surgery.

Hope this helps.

Wetterhorn

Lunawest
                        Participant
                          Lisa,
                          I am just one month out of surgery, and have similar lump in my pelvic area. I did not need a full node dissection, just a SLNB – two nodes removed. The excision in my thigh caused a seroma that had to be treated surgically, so I am now on wound VAC therapy following that procedure. When I was going into the OR For the seroma surgery, I asked my surgeon to check out the bump on my other incision, to be sure there was nothing going on behind there that also needed attention. He didn’t seem to think so, but I’ll ask again when I see him this week. Always better to ask when in doubt!

Jane

Lunawest
                          Participant
                            Lisa,
                            I am just one month out of surgery, and have similar lump in my pelvic area. I did not need a full node dissection, just a SLNB – two nodes removed. The excision in my thigh caused a seroma that had to be treated surgically, so I am now on wound VAC therapy following that procedure. When I was going into the OR For the seroma surgery, I asked my surgeon to check out the bump on my other incision, to be sure there was nothing going on behind there that also needed attention. He didn’t seem to think so, but I’ll ask again when I see him this week. Always better to ask when in doubt!

Jane

Ali
                            Participant

I had a subq removed after we found it on a PET scan (confirmed with fine needle aspirastion).  It was hard and round, very well defined.  It was in between the original mole and the groin lymph nodes (dissection done almost 4 years ago).  It's good you are having it looked at. 

Lisa13
                                Participant

I had something similar to this a month after surgery and when I got it checked out, it was a hematoma. Today my long and very hard lump seems to have extended, so I'm starting to think this is another hemotoma.  I've had alot of swelling in this area lately which makes me think it's some type of fluid accumulating, not neccessarily a "tumour".  I'm still seeing my surgeon to rule out anything sinister.   I already made a mistake in not getting my original melanoma looked at, so I won't be doing that again.  It's hard not to be paranoid sometimes.

My oncologist just gave me a physical exam last Wednesday, but this wasn't there at the time.

Lisa13
                                  Participant

I had something similar to this a month after surgery and when I got it checked out, it was a hematoma. Today my long and very hard lump seems to have extended, so I'm starting to think this is another hemotoma.  I've had alot of swelling in this area lately which makes me think it's some type of fluid accumulating, not neccessarily a "tumour".  I'm still seeing my surgeon to rule out anything sinister.   I already made a mistake in not getting my original melanoma looked at, so I won't be doing that again.  It's hard not to be paranoid sometimes.

My oncologist just gave me a physical exam last Wednesday, but this wasn't there at the time.

Ali
                                  Participant

I had a subq removed after we found it on a PET scan (confirmed with fine needle aspirastion).  It was hard and round, very well defined.  It was in between the original mole and the groin lymph nodes (dissection done almost 4 years ago).  It's good you are having it looked at. 

Viewing 7 reply threads
                                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics