The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Lower leg slightly swollen after SLNB and WLE

Forums General Melanoma Community Lower leg slightly swollen after SLNB and WLE

Participant

Hi ,

quick question, I had my SLNB and WLE ( Primary was on my right thigh) about 2 months ago. I am very active and now I have noticed that my  lower leg is slightly swollen. I notice ,when comparing both calf muscles etc.

I also have a small seroma where the SLNB was done. 

My question, is there something I need to do or will this solve itself. During the SLNB 2 nodes were extracted.

Currently it is not bothering me, but I want to make sure.

Thanks for some info.

Chris

Viewing 3 reply threads
    • Replies
        bethy62
        Participant
          Sound like mild lymphedema. Compression, lymphedema exercises,elevation. Even though you only had a couple nodes out the seroma, scar tissue anc missing node can cause some congestion and the lymph fluid to move slowly. YouTube has many video with self madsage and stretching that can help move that fluid.
            chrispl1974
            Participant

Thanks for your explanation. I will follow your advice. One last question : How long does it take for mild lymphedema to subside and completely go away ? Thx

Linda5
              Participant

Hi – my surgery was similar and was 10 years ago this August.  I have no limitations or discomfort but my right knee still remains slightly larger than my left although better than it was for the first couple of years.  I also still have very little feeling around that area.

i suspect it’s individual depending on what has been disrupted, but way better than not having the surgery!

Serenity
                Participant

I had mild lymphedema in my leg after surgery, skin graft and SLN removal. I am also very active, thus why it was mild.  I received Lymphedema therapy for about one month and it was recommended I wear a compression stocking.  I wore it for about a year, especially when active or on feet all day.  Elevation also helped reduce it. I am now lymphedema free.  Compression stocking only when I fly.    I also had seromas in my groin, eventually had them drained, about four times.  A website I used for compression products is Brightlifedirect.com, very reasonable.  

The best of luck

Serenity
                  Participant

I had mild lymphedema in my leg after surgery, skin graft and SLN removal. I am also very active, thus why it was mild.  I received Lymphedema therapy for about one month and it was recommended I wear a compression stocking.  I wore it for about a year, especially when active or on feet all day.  Elevation also helped reduce it. I am now lymphedema free.  Compression stocking only when I fly.    I also had seromas in my groin, eventually had them drained, about four times.  A website I used for compression products is Brightlifedirect.com, very reasonable.  

The best of luck

Linny
                  Participant

It does sound like you have some lymphedema setting in. You may want to seek out a physical therapist who specializes in lymphedema. This individual will be able to best educate you on the condition and also how to do manual drainage massage. They can also give you advice on compression garments. Since you're very active, you will want to stay on top of this condition. It's not something that will go away on its own — you have to give your body some help with it.

ourvan
                    Participant

As way of background, my primary was on my calf and I had 3 lymph nodes removed, about a year ago.  I still experience some swelling in my lower leg, which seems to be worse if the weather is hot/humid.  I find a compression stocking on that leg to do a world of good on those days when it seems worse.  My surgeon gave me the following info when I inquired a few months after my surgery:

"The swelling is fluid build-up from the lymphatic channels that had to be cut in the leg and the groin.  The best thing to do is elevate the leg in the evening and consider wearing a compression stocking when up and about.  It will get better with time."  Hope that provides some insight.

Continued good luck in your recovery~

laurie

anniemaxx
                      Participant

I had wide excision and two nodes removed last week.  Yesterday I called surgeons assistand because I had some swellinf behind scar in groin.  She said it was seroma and the doctor will drain the fluid at my appointment Monday. (first pre-op). 

She also said warm compresses will help.

Viewing 3 reply threads
                    • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                    About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics