The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Looking for some advice

Forums General Melanoma Community Looking for some advice

Participant
      Hi All!
      I am Stage 3b, and had a PET on 8/31 that came back with a spot on the uterus that they wanted to check. Went in for ultrasound on Tuesday and results were ovarian cyst. Normally I would take that for what it is, but my mom died from ovarian cancer. My oncologist said to wait it out another 3 months and do the ultrasound again. Am I wrong in wanting to have this checked now? I called the oncologist office and said that I’d like to have a CA125 blood test and they said it wasn’t a good idea. At this point I’m thinking about calling my primary doctor and getting a second opinion. I guess I’m looking for a sanity check. Am I overreacting?

I appreciate your thoughts on this. It’s hard to be objective and sane when you’re scared and angry.

Wishing all the warriors well!
      Wendi

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        swissfarm7
        Participant

That is concerning!  I'm new to this "adventure" ~ my husband was diagnosed in July and like you is Stage 3B ~ but I absolutely don't think you're overreacting, particularly given your family history.  I don't understand why your oncologist considers the blood test a bad idea…?  I think there are times when we need to listen to our intuition and this is one of them.  You want a second opinion; get one.  Best to you, (((Wendi))).

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
          Participant

That is concerning!  I'm new to this "adventure" ~ my husband was diagnosed in July and like you is Stage 3B ~ but I absolutely don't think you're overreacting, particularly given your family history.  I don't understand why your oncologist considers the blood test a bad idea…?  I think there are times when we need to listen to our intuition and this is one of them.  You want a second opinion; get one.  Best to you, (((Wendi))).

Cheers,

Colleen

swissfarm7
            Participant

Cheers,

Colleen

Linny
              Participant

I don't blame you for feeling scared and uneasy. If you're still getting your period then the cyst may be quite normal and if it's related to that, it will go away on its own. I don't quite understand why the CA125 blood test would not be a good idea, though because it's supposed to be a relatively straightforward blood test — unless the fact that you have melanoma may skew the results.

Maybe for a sanity check you might want to undergo a gynecological exam?

Linny
                Participant

I don't blame you for feeling scared and uneasy. If you're still getting your period then the cyst may be quite normal and if it's related to that, it will go away on its own. I don't quite understand why the CA125 blood test would not be a good idea, though because it's supposed to be a relatively straightforward blood test — unless the fact that you have melanoma may skew the results.

Linny
                  Participant

Viewing 5 reply threads
                • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics