The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

LIver Lesion

Forums General Melanoma Community LIver Lesion

Participant

My husband is 9 months post diagnosis of metastatic melanoma (had small lump on leg that was removed and diagnosed as metastatic melanoma with unknown primary site.  There were no melanoma cells in the epidermis and 3 pathologists confirmed metastatic melanoma).  After being seen at Mayo clinic for a second opinion, we have been doing Leukine injections for nearly 9 months with CT scans every 3 months. His scan today demonstrated a 2mm liver nodule.  Our local oncologist stated this wasn't anything to worry about.  I have two questions:

My husband is 9 months post diagnosis of metastatic melanoma (had small lump on leg that was removed and diagnosed as metastatic melanoma with unknown primary site.  There were no melanoma cells in the epidermis and 3 pathologists confirmed metastatic melanoma).  After being seen at Mayo clinic for a second opinion, we have been doing Leukine injections for nearly 9 months with CT scans every 3 months. His scan today demonstrated a 2mm liver nodule.  Our local oncologist stated this wasn't anything to worry about.  I have two questions:

1.  Has anyone else had liver lesions this small turn out to be metastatic disease?  We are having a repeat scan in 3 months.

2.  He will soon hit the 1 year mark and our local oncologist is recommending just having scans completed annually? I thought he would need to continue at least scans every 6 months for a couple years. What are other oncologists recommending for follow up? 

I find this disease to be so frustrating because nothing is cut and dry-there are no specific studies that indicate how often testing needs to be completed….I'd rather be on the safe side and have scans more often.

Whew, thanks everyone. I am on this site often and appreciate all the info!

Viewing 17 reply threads
    • Replies
        washoegal
        Participant

You don't say how old your husband is but from reading your profile I am guessing not very old as you have a young child.  We all agree that this disease is so very frustrating as it has a mind of its own and there doesn't seem to be any censuses as to a standard of care.  I am stage 3a and also have what are thought to be liver cysts.  I suppose they are, as they haven't grown as fast as you would expect Mel to do.  My first Onc was more conservative with scans and just did them every 6 months from the beginning, when he left I switched practices and the new one changed me to every 3 months for the first 2 years and then 6 months for the next 3 years.  Both are top notch in the field so I really can't explain why the difference.  I just try my best to go with the flow. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
          Participant

You don't say how old your husband is but from reading your profile I am guessing not very old as you have a young child.  We all agree that this disease is so very frustrating as it has a mind of its own and there doesn't seem to be any censuses as to a standard of care.  I am stage 3a and also have what are thought to be liver cysts.  I suppose they are, as they haven't grown as fast as you would expect Mel to do.  My first Onc was more conservative with scans and just did them every 6 months from the beginning, when he left I switched practices and the new one changed me to every 3 months for the first 2 years and then 6 months for the next 3 years.  Both are top notch in the field so I really can't explain why the difference.  I just try my best to go with the flow. 

Mary

Stage 3

washoegal
            Participant

Mary

Stage 3

noisy77
              Participant

In regards to scans – my mom was stage 3c and her oncologist (from the melanoma center at Sloan) recommended scans every 3 months for the first 2 years and then every 6 months after that.

This disease sucks!

noisy77
                Participant

In regards to scans – my mom was stage 3c and her oncologist (from the melanoma center at Sloan) recommended scans every 3 months for the first 2 years and then every 6 months after that.

This disease sucks!

noisy77
                  Participant

This disease sucks!

Tina D
                    Participant

I have to say that annual exams seems like too big of a jump from having them every 3 moths. I went from every 3 months, to every 4, then 6 if no problems. 

Cant help much with the liver me question, though I did once have a small cyst on the liver that showed up in a scan and resolved itself later on. I am glad they are doing a rescan in 3 months, just to be on the safe side.

Sorry you are going through this : (

Tina D
                      Participant

I have to say that annual exams seems like too big of a jump from having them every 3 moths. I went from every 3 months, to every 4, then 6 if no problems. 

Cant help much with the liver me question, though I did once have a small cyst on the liver that showed up in a scan and resolved itself later on. I am glad they are doing a rescan in 3 months, just to be on the safe side.

Tina D
                        Participant

Harry in Fair Oaks
                          Participant

3 month rescan for the tiny liver nodule makes sense.  If no growth, repeat scanning should be less often – but how often is up to the doctor and patient to decide.  I can see the point of 6 month imaging for a couple of years.  You should discuss with doctor after the upcoming scan.  Be aware that some docs are more "scan friendly" than others.

Best regards,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                            Participant

3 month rescan for the tiny liver nodule makes sense.  If no growth, repeat scanning should be less often – but how often is up to the doctor and patient to decide.  I can see the point of 6 month imaging for a couple of years.  You should discuss with doctor after the upcoming scan.  Be aware that some docs are more "scan friendly" than others.

Best regards,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
                              Participant

Best regards,

Harry

LibbyinVA
                                Participant
                                  My initial scans (2006-2008) showed several small lesions on the liver. Thankfully after 7 yrs nothing has progressed and drs believe they are benign cysts.

As for more frequent scans, I had PET & CT fullbody scans every 3 months for first, every 6 months for several years and now only have annual PET with blood work. I would make sure your dr is aware of your concerns and press for more frequent scans for right now. Hope this has helped and good luck with everything!

LibbyinVA
                                  Participant
                                    My initial scans (2006-2008) showed several small lesions on the liver. Thankfully after 7 yrs nothing has progressed and drs believe they are benign cysts.

As for more frequent scans, I had PET & CT fullbody scans every 3 months for first, every 6 months for several years and now only have annual PET with blood work. I would make sure your dr is aware of your concerns and press for more frequent scans for right now. Hope this has helped and good luck with everything!

LibbyinVA
                                    Participant

FormerCaregiver
                                      Participant

The 2mm liver nodule detected on the CT scan may or may not be melanoma. If it grows significantly, a PET scan will give you a fairly accurate indication regarding the possibility that it might be malignant.

Liver lesions are not uncommon with metastatic disease. However, as melanoma is unpredictable in what it does and how fast it spreads, it is wise to be proactive in dealing with it. Therefore, a CT scan in 3 months (or sooner if there are symptoms) seems to be a reasonable idea. If there is growth, then a PET scan should also be considered.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                        Participant

The 2mm liver nodule detected on the CT scan may or may not be melanoma. If it grows significantly, a PET scan will give you a fairly accurate indication regarding the possibility that it might be malignant.

Liver lesions are not uncommon with metastatic disease. However, as melanoma is unpredictable in what it does and how fast it spreads, it is wise to be proactive in dealing with it. Therefore, a CT scan in 3 months (or sooner if there are symptoms) seems to be a reasonable idea. If there is growth, then a PET scan should also be considered.

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

FormerCaregiver
                                          Participant

Hope this helps.

Frank from Australia

Viewing 17 reply threads
                                        • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                        About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics