The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Links for ketogenic diet and cancer publishings and a blog from a “melanoma maverick”.

Forums General Melanoma Community Links for ketogenic diet and cancer publishings and a blog from a “melanoma maverick”.

• Replies
      JakeinNY
      Participant

After looking further, I'm not very confident of the last link so I've started to ask her some questions.

JakeinNY
        Participant

After looking further, I'm not very confident of the last link so I've started to ask her some questions.

Bubbles
            Participant

Seriously?????  Did you even read the "results" of the ncbi pubmed study???  16 out of 6 does not a valid study make!

Bubbles
              Participant

Sorry….as an NP, serious health advocate, melanoma patient for almost 10 years and stage IV for more than 2 years…stuff like this makes me a little nuts.  Should read…."6 out of 16"….does not a study make.  An N=30 is pushing the bounds of legit.

Bubbles
                Participant

Sorry….as an NP, serious health advocate, melanoma patient for almost 10 years and stage IV for more than 2 years…stuff like this makes me a little nuts.  Should read…."6 out of 16"….does not a study make.  An N=30 is pushing the bounds of legit.

Bubbles
                  Participant

JakeinNY
                    Participant

Seriously????? Why don't you leave your attitude at the login "door"…nobody needs it here.

Of course it is a valid "study", just not proof at this point. That is why there are many other trials going on for it.

Why don't you send your worthless comments to people that have done great with it, including the child with the brain cancer that was alive and well 10 years later!

JakeinNY
                      Participant

Seriously????? Why don't you leave your attitude at the login "door"…nobody needs it here.

Of course it is a valid "study", just not proof at this point. That is why there are many other trials going on for it.

Why don't you send your worthless comments to people that have done great with it, including the child with the brain cancer that was alive and well 10 years later!

POW
                        Participant

Jake, please tone it down. Your unwarrented rage is getting on my nerves. 

POW
                          Participant

JakeinNY
                            Participant

Unwarranted rage? Hardly.

I was ticked off and it was highly warranted due to the "tone" of "Bubbles' " reply. There is just no need for that here.

I am trying to put out information that may be helpful to some people or even one person. Imagine if one person talks to their oncologist and decides to give the ketogenic diet a try and has great success where their cancer remains stable and causing few, if any, problems? That would be fantastic. The great majority of people on here are looking for help or looking to help, or both, and I am no different.

I am perfectly fine with others having opinions different from mine but antagonistic replies are the last thing that I, or any of us, need.

JakeinNY
                              Participant

I was ticked off and it was highly warranted due to the "tone" of "Bubbles' " reply. There is just no need for that here.

I am trying to put out information that may be helpful to some people or even one person. Imagine if one person talks to their oncologist and decides to give the ketogenic diet a try and has great success where their cancer remains stable and causing few, if any, problems? That would be fantastic. The great majority of people on here are looking for help or looking to help, or both, and I am no different.

I am perfectly fine with others having opinions different from mine but antagonistic replies are the last thing that I, or any of us, need.

JakeinNY
                                Participant

Acton
                                  Participant

Well,Ketogenic diets low carb diets are very effective at reducing blood pressure. Cholesterol is made from excess glucose in the diet so This is actually a good thing, because it improves the ratio of HDL/LDL.

belmont fitness

Acton
                                    Participant

Well,Ketogenic diets low carb diets are very effective at reducing blood pressure. Cholesterol is made from excess glucose in the diet so This is actually a good thing, because it improves the ratio of HDL/LDL.

belmont fitness

Acton
                                      Participant

belmont fitness

POW
                                        Participant

JakeinNY
                                          Participant

Bubbles
                                            Participant

Seriously?????  Did you even read the "results" of the ncbi pubmed study???  16 out of 6 does not a valid study make!

Bubbles
                                              Participant

Melanoma Maverick
                                                Participant

Jake. I don't remember receiving any questions from you. I am still alive and in month 48 of my modified ketogenic diet. I quit having biopsies when it spread to my liver and lymphatic system in 2004. I currently have an open lesion on my face, one on my elbow and several lumps in various places under my skin. I let my website lapse when I didn't think I was going to make it and didn't have the money to pay for it. My last visit to Seattle cancer care alliance, shocked my oncologist, who thought I died years ago. Neither he, nor I know anyone who's stayed alive as long as I have after metastasis. Just because it hasn't been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done. Feel free to contact me. 

Susan

Melanoma Maverick
                                                  Participant

Jake. I don't remember receiving any questions from you. I am still alive and in month 48 of my modified ketogenic diet. I quit having biopsies when it spread to my liver and lymphatic system in 2004. I currently have an open lesion on my face, one on my elbow and several lumps in various places under my skin. I let my website lapse when I didn't think I was going to make it and didn't have the money to pay for it. My last visit to Seattle cancer care alliance, shocked my oncologist, who thought I died years ago. Neither he, nor I know anyone who's stayed alive as long as I have after metastasis. Just because it hasn't been done before, doesn't mean it can't be done. Feel free to contact me. 

Susan

Melanoma Maverick
                                                    Participant

Susan

JakeinNY
                                                    Participant

buffcody
                                                      Participant

Jake,

Thanks for posting this.  The first studies are very interesting and, despite the limitations on sample size, seem to be high calibre.  Though there may be quacks out there who pontificate about nutrition, there is also important science going on in the field that it would do us melanoma patients well to pay attention to.  If something has a chance of slowing down the growth of my tumors and does not interfere with other things I am doing to help the process along, I would be foolish not to at least study its possibilities or even try it.  This community certainly has taught me a great deal about various possible treatments for my Stage IV disease in the months I have been reading the posts regularly. 

buffcody
                                                        Participant

Jake,

Thanks for posting this.  The first studies are very interesting and, despite the limitations on sample size, seem to be high calibre.  Though there may be quacks out there who pontificate about nutrition, there is also important science going on in the field that it would do us melanoma patients well to pay attention to.  If something has a chance of slowing down the growth of my tumors and does not interfere with other things I am doing to help the process along, I would be foolish not to at least study its possibilities or even try it.  This community certainly has taught me a great deal about various possible treatments for my Stage IV disease in the months I have been reading the posts regularly. 

JakeinNY
                                                            Participant

Hi buffcody,

Your thoughts are appreciated and are right on target. I'm just trying to help like many others. We all have choices to make but the more quality information we have, the better. Best wishes and keep doing your best.

Jake

JakeinNY
                                                              Participant

Hi buffcody,

Your thoughts are appreciated and are right on target. I'm just trying to help like many others. We all have choices to make but the more quality information we have, the better. Best wishes and keep doing your best.

Jake

JakeinNY
                                                                Participant

Hi buffcody,

Jake

buffcody
                                                                Participant

Jake,

Colleen66
                                                                  Participant

From what I got from the articles is that, I didn't see melanoma mentioned.  Of the few who made it three months, the diet was sufficient and no undo effects but no proven benefit.  Unfortunately most of the participants died so the results really don't mean that much to a person who's prognosis is at least twelve months.

Just my opinion.

Colleen 

JakeinNY
                                                                      Participant

Colleen,

Yes, it is true that there were no melanoma patients but the fact is that 5 of 10 patients that followed the diet for at least a month in the German study had stable disease over the 3 months of the study and 6 of the 10 patients in the New York study had stable disease (including one with a partial remission) over the 1 month length of the study. Also, in the pediatric study, at least one of the two kids studied was alive after 10 years. The other thing to keep in mind is that these patients supposedly had no other options (although for some reason one of them in the German trial went back to chemo). I would suggest listening to Dr. Eugene Fine, MD in that livin la vida low carb interview. He explains the theory, etc in a very clear manner. If you do an internet search, you will find that there are at least a few of these studies or trials going on in the USA right now. I am hoping that these studies/trials show great results….imagine if this helps one to keep their tumors from growing until something else can be done to shrink them, or in the case where they are sufficiently small, enable one to live a full life with tumors that are not growing and not causing any major problems.

Jake

JakeinNY
                                                                        Participant

Colleen,

Yes, it is true that there were no melanoma patients but the fact is that 5 of 10 patients that followed the diet for at least a month in the German study had stable disease over the 3 months of the study and 6 of the 10 patients in the New York study had stable disease (including one with a partial remission) over the 1 month length of the study. Also, in the pediatric study, at least one of the two kids studied was alive after 10 years. The other thing to keep in mind is that these patients supposedly had no other options (although for some reason one of them in the German trial went back to chemo). I would suggest listening to Dr. Eugene Fine, MD in that livin la vida low carb interview. He explains the theory, etc in a very clear manner. If you do an internet search, you will find that there are at least a few of these studies or trials going on in the USA right now. I am hoping that these studies/trials show great results….imagine if this helps one to keep their tumors from growing until something else can be done to shrink them, or in the case where they are sufficiently small, enable one to live a full life with tumors that are not growing and not causing any major problems.

Jake

JakeinNY
                                                                          Participant

Colleen,

Jake

doc
                                                                            Participant

Dear Jake,

I am sad. Firstly, because you have had melanoma and had to deal with that reality in your life. Secondly, because you have taken the occassion of the your brush with death to promulgate false and unfounded information about melanoma without being responsible enough to check first with the excellent doctors who took care of you. Bubbles and others who are responding to your harmful misinformation are trying to protect those who are are in a vulnerable state. You need to remember that they suffer from your disease also and have a deeper understanding than you do.

On a more general note, this site badly needs a monitor on both a personal and medical basis to keep from spreading potentially dangerous information. A ketogenic diet neither cures nor ameliorates melanoma. If it were that easy this site would be unnecessary.   Please try to do the best you can.                                                                                                          

doc
                                                                              Participant

Dear Jake,

I am sad. Firstly, because you have had melanoma and had to deal with that reality in your life. Secondly, because you have taken the occassion of the your brush with death to promulgate false and unfounded information about melanoma without being responsible enough to check first with the excellent doctors who took care of you. Bubbles and others who are responding to your harmful misinformation are trying to protect those who are are in a vulnerable state. You need to remember that they suffer from your disease also and have a deeper understanding than you do.

On a more general note, this site badly needs a monitor on both a personal and medical basis to keep from spreading potentially dangerous information. A ketogenic diet neither cures nor ameliorates melanoma. If it were that easy this site would be unnecessary.   Please try to do the best you can.                                                                                                          

doc
                                                                                Participant

Dear Jake,

JakeinNY
                                                                                  Participant

Dear "anonymous",

I have to say that you had me laughing, accusing me of spreading false information when I certainly did not and you certainly just did!!!! A big LOL to you!!!

To the facts:

You said "promulgate false and unfounded information"??? Tell me what is false and unfounded? If you read what I wrote carefully you will never find anything of that sort.

You said  "A ketogenic diet neither cures nor ameliorates melanoma". Once again, I never said that. But back to your statement "A ketogenic diet neither cures nor ameliorates melanoma". Is that a fact? Where is your proof? If your statement is accurate then why are melanoma patients, amongst other types of cancer patients, being recruited for the following trial http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01716468??? I'm curious about your motivation for putting down something that is undergoing trials right now?

To everyone that reads this post:

Check out the links and speak to your oncologist about them if you are interested in following this diet in addition to other means of treating your melanoma. The fact is that the ketogenic diet has been and is being studied to see it's effect on cancerous tumors, amongst other things like quality of life, etc. The trials are early stage ones and I have not seen any that are specifically targeting melanoma but the link in the previous paragraph leads you to the description of a trial that is accepting patients with several cancers, including melanoma. We don't know where these trials will lead but according to Dr. Eugene Fine, MD in New York, the hope is that the ketogenic diet can be used along with drug therapy, radiation, etc to make a big difference in the treatment of some patients with cancer. Don't take my word or "anonymous" word or "Bubbles" word, etc as gospel. Read thru the publishings if you'd like, speak to your oncologist about them if you'd like, and decide if the ketogenic diet is for you. Best wishes to all.

JakeinNY
                                                                                    Participant

Dear "anonymous",

I have to say that you had me laughing, accusing me of spreading false information when I certainly did not and you certainly just did!!!! A big LOL to you!!!

To the facts:

You said "promulgate false and unfounded information"??? Tell me what is false and unfounded? If you read what I wrote carefully you will never find anything of that sort.

You said  "A ketogenic diet neither cures nor ameliorates melanoma". Once again, I never said that. But back to your statement "A ketogenic diet neither cures nor ameliorates melanoma". Is that a fact? Where is your proof? If your statement is accurate then why are melanoma patients, amongst other types of cancer patients, being recruited for the following trial http://www.clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/NCT01716468??? I'm curious about your motivation for putting down something that is undergoing trials right now?

Check out the links and speak to your oncologist about them if you are interested in following this diet in addition to other means of treating your melanoma. The fact is that the ketogenic diet has been and is being studied to see it's effect on cancerous tumors, amongst other things like quality of life, etc. The trials are early stage ones and I have not seen any that are specifically targeting melanoma but the link in the previous paragraph leads you to the description of a trial that is accepting patients with several cancers, including melanoma. We don't know where these trials will lead but according to Dr. Eugene Fine, MD in New York, the hope is that the ketogenic diet can be used along with drug therapy, radiation, etc to make a big difference in the treatment of some patients with cancer. Don't take my word or "anonymous" word or "Bubbles" word, etc as gospel. Read thru the publishings if you'd like, speak to your oncologist about them if you'd like, and decide if the ketogenic diet is for you. Best wishes to all.

JakeinNY
                                                                                      Participant

Dear "anonymous",

To the facts:

Colleen66
                                                                                      Participant

From what I got from the articles is that, I didn't see melanoma mentioned.  Of the few who made it three months, the diet was sufficient and no undo effects but no proven benefit.  Unfortunately most of the participants died so the results really don't mean that much to a person who's prognosis is at least twelve months.

Just my opinion.

Colleen 

Colleen66
                                                                                        Participant

Just my opinion.

Colleen 

Tracy Seattle
                                                                                          Participant
                                                                                            Jake –

I appreciate what you posted. Not surprised by some of the response you got. I don’t come on here very much or participate in very much because of this kind of tone. The truth is that there isn’t money to make in cancer treatment using diet so it doesn’t get a lot of funding. I have seen doctors present on this and I too think it is at least worth consideration. Dean Ornish published a very interesting study with prostate cancer patients, his researched showed that comprehensive lifestyle changes, which included diet & stress reduction, affected gene expression, “turning on” disease preventing genes and “turning off” genes that promote cancer and heart disease. I think it is worth considering and hoping that there will be more research in this area.

I took my diagnosis as a wake up call to look at all areas of my life. My diet, relationships, stress and so on. I believe we have to treat the whole self. Now that’s my personal believe. I use an integrated approach to treatment and my oncologist has no problem with it. My diet is the best it’s been in my life. I feel & look heathy. I have stable disease and no one can say that my choice to eat heathy, try to stay away from sugar, excercise and try to reduce stress is not helping my body stabilize this disease. I think there is much that in unknown and much to learn. I would hope that we can respect each other on our individual journeys.

To turn a phrase around, if the doctors had all the answers, this board would not be needed.

I wish everyone the best on this difficult jouney life has presented us with.

Tracy Seattle
                                                                                            Participant
                                                                                              Jake –

I appreciate what you posted. Not surprised by some of the response you got. I don’t come on here very much or participate in very much because of this kind of tone. The truth is that there isn’t money to make in cancer treatment using diet so it doesn’t get a lot of funding. I have seen doctors present on this and I too think it is at least worth consideration. Dean Ornish published a very interesting study with prostate cancer patients, his researched showed that comprehensive lifestyle changes, which included diet & stress reduction, affected gene expression, “turning on” disease preventing genes and “turning off” genes that promote cancer and heart disease. I think it is worth considering and hoping that there will be more research in this area.

I took my diagnosis as a wake up call to look at all areas of my life. My diet, relationships, stress and so on. I believe we have to treat the whole self. Now that’s my personal believe. I use an integrated approach to treatment and my oncologist has no problem with it. My diet is the best it’s been in my life. I feel & look heathy. I have stable disease and no one can say that my choice to eat heathy, try to stay away from sugar, excercise and try to reduce stress is not helping my body stabilize this disease. I think there is much that in unknown and much to learn. I would hope that we can respect each other on our individual journeys.

To turn a phrase around, if the doctors had all the answers, this board would not be needed.

JakeinNY
                                                                                                Participant

Hi Tracy,

I REALLY appreciate your comments here as you are so right….the "tone" in this forum gets nasty at times and it really upsets me because I am not trying to do ANYTHING detrimental to anyone's health….just to help in some way. You are correct in saying that NO ONE (at least no human) can say that your choices have NOT led to your being healthy. No one knows either way. It bothers me too when people just totally disregard the effect that nutrition can have on this disease in some cases. We are all made up of cells, and cells can be affected by chemicals, and chemicals are not only found in drugs, but in our food as well. I'm certainly not going to say "Eat great and you are going to be OK", but it is not any stretch to say that a better lifestyle, including proper nutrition, improves ones chances of not getting cancer or defeating cancer. What that improvement number is….nobody knows. One of the best books on staying healthy from a world reknown G.I. doctor is "The Enzyme Factor" by Hiromi Shinya, MD. Great information and not many pages to go through. As far as the ketogenic diet, I think that they are on to something, and if they were not, they would not be having several clinical trials going on. I would tell anyone I know with cancer (especially those with tumors) to avoid sugar as though it was poison and limit carbohydrates in a big way.

My best wishes to you (and everyone on here as well) for a long happy life and keep up your support on here.

Once again, thank you very very much for your comments as sometimes I feel alone with my opinions, etc.

Have a happy new year.

Jake

JakeinNY
                                                                                                  Participant

Hi Tracy,

I REALLY appreciate your comments here as you are so right….the "tone" in this forum gets nasty at times and it really upsets me because I am not trying to do ANYTHING detrimental to anyone's health….just to help in some way. You are correct in saying that NO ONE (at least no human) can say that your choices have NOT led to your being healthy. No one knows either way. It bothers me too when people just totally disregard the effect that nutrition can have on this disease in some cases. We are all made up of cells, and cells can be affected by chemicals, and chemicals are not only found in drugs, but in our food as well. I'm certainly not going to say "Eat great and you are going to be OK", but it is not any stretch to say that a better lifestyle, including proper nutrition, improves ones chances of not getting cancer or defeating cancer. What that improvement number is….nobody knows. One of the best books on staying healthy from a world reknown G.I. doctor is "The Enzyme Factor" by Hiromi Shinya, MD. Great information and not many pages to go through. As far as the ketogenic diet, I think that they are on to something, and if they were not, they would not be having several clinical trials going on. I would tell anyone I know with cancer (especially those with tumors) to avoid sugar as though it was poison and limit carbohydrates in a big way.

My best wishes to you (and everyone on here as well) for a long happy life and keep up your support on here.

Once again, thank you very very much for your comments as sometimes I feel alone with my opinions, etc.

Have a happy new year.

Jake

JakeinNY
                                                                                                    Participant

Hi Tracy,

Have a happy new year.

Jake

Tracy Seattle
                                                                                                    Participant
                                                                                                      Jake –

Viewing 11 reply threads
                                                                                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                                                                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics