The information on this site is not intended or implied to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. Content within the patient forum is user-generated and has not been reviewed by medical professionals. Other sections of the Melanoma Research Foundation website include information that has been reviewed by medical professionals as appropriate. All medical decisions should be made in consultation with your doctor or other qualified medical professional.

Leukine Question

Forums General Melanoma Community Leukine Question

Participant

Working through my doc at Mayo I started the 14 day on/14 day off Leukine treatment on April 23 – last of the first round treatments was on May 6. Did not have any side effects the first week – started to feel it second week – but the worst was the week AFTER i was done with treatments, still feeling very fatiged/achy/headache yet today – 6 days after my last treatment. Does anyone have any experience where their side effects came after their last treatment? Just trying to gauge when I can expect to feel a little better – and what the next round of treatment might be like.

Working through my doc at Mayo I started the 14 day on/14 day off Leukine treatment on April 23 – last of the first round treatments was on May 6. Did not have any side effects the first week – started to feel it second week – but the worst was the week AFTER i was done with treatments, still feeling very fatiged/achy/headache yet today – 6 days after my last treatment. Does anyone have any experience where their side effects came after their last treatment? Just trying to gauge when I can expect to feel a little better – and what the next round of treatment might be like.

Any help would be appreciated!

Tom

Viewing 5 reply threads
    • Replies
        Harry in Fair Oaks
        Participant

I did almost 3 years of this regimen.  There were side effects (large welts at sites of injection, also some fatigue) after first 2 or 3 cycles.  Then the side effects mostly went away.  I hope this will happen to you too.

Best regards,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
          Participant

I did almost 3 years of this regimen.  There were side effects (large welts at sites of injection, also some fatigue) after first 2 or 3 cycles.  Then the side effects mostly went away.  I hope this will happen to you too.

Best regards,

Harry

Harry in Fair Oaks
            Participant

Best regards,

Harry

triciad
              Participant

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to hear about your side effects.  I have been on Leukine (14 days on/14 days off) since October.  I haven't had any major side effects, but I think my hair is thinning out now.  Initially, my doctor said side effects were likely around day nine of injections.  She has me take 2 Benadryl and 2 Tylenol one hour prior to injection.  So far, it's working like a charm.  I would definitely contact your doctor about the side effects and let him/her know just to be safe…it could just be a virus that's going around and have nothing to do with the drug.  As with any medication, side effects vary greatly from person to person.  I hope you feel better soon. 

All the best,

Tricia

maryb-z
                  Participant

Hi Tom,

I currently see Dr. Mark Albertini at UW Health in Madison. He had me do the Leukine injections from 2009-2010 after Interferon failed me. I went 2 years NED but had recurences in 2012 and recently February of this year. Compared to Interferon I handled Leukine very well. As some one else posted I did get large welts at the injection site and fatigue. I am a school teacher of young kids and could onky handle part time that year of Leukine. Interestingly, at my last appointment in April I asked Dr. Albertini if there was anything I could do (clinical trial, supplements, etc) since I hate this watching and waiting and then ultimately surgery he said there isn't anything he would prescribe as I am NED. I don't qualifiy for the Yervoy trial as I already did Interferon. So I proceeded to say what about more Leukine since it gave me 2 years of continuous NED status and he shocked me with,"New evidence is suggesting Leukine has no overall effect on a person's survival rate."  I don't want to discourage you but you may want to ask your doctor. Of course I was told the same thing about Interferon but I elected to do that anyway as I couln't stand "doing nothing". I don't regret the Leukiine as I said, Interferon was so much worse. No matter what your decision, don't stop believing. If you are on Facebook there is a closed group called, Bad Ass Melanoma Warriors and people are really quick to respond and give support. You have to "friend" a member in order to join. Feel free to look me up on FB (Mary Benesh-Zoeller). 

Take care fellow melanoma warrior!

Mary

maryb-z
                    Participant

Hi Tom,

I currently see Dr. Mark Albertini at UW Health in Madison. He had me do the Leukine injections from 2009-2010 after Interferon failed me. I went 2 years NED but had recurences in 2012 and recently February of this year. Compared to Interferon I handled Leukine very well. As some one else posted I did get large welts at the injection site and fatigue. I am a school teacher of young kids and could onky handle part time that year of Leukine. Interestingly, at my last appointment in April I asked Dr. Albertini if there was anything I could do (clinical trial, supplements, etc) since I hate this watching and waiting and then ultimately surgery he said there isn't anything he would prescribe as I am NED. I don't qualifiy for the Yervoy trial as I already did Interferon. So I proceeded to say what about more Leukine since it gave me 2 years of continuous NED status and he shocked me with,"New evidence is suggesting Leukine has no overall effect on a person's survival rate."  I don't want to discourage you but you may want to ask your doctor. Of course I was told the same thing about Interferon but I elected to do that anyway as I couln't stand "doing nothing". I don't regret the Leukiine as I said, Interferon was so much worse. No matter what your decision, don't stop believing. If you are on Facebook there is a closed group called, Bad Ass Melanoma Warriors and people are really quick to respond and give support. You have to "friend" a member in order to join. Feel free to look me up on FB (Mary Benesh-Zoeller). 

Mary

maryb-z
                      Participant

Hi Tom,

Mary

maryb-z
                        Participant

Hi Tom,

Mary

buckytom
                          Participant

Thank you for all of the information Mary! It is very helpful to hear your experiences. I did find you on Facebook…just let me know how to find the group….sounds like it would be helpful. 

Thanks!

buckytom
                            Participant

Thank you for all of the information Mary! It is very helpful to hear your experiences. I did find you on Facebook…just let me know how to find the group….sounds like it would be helpful. 

Thanks!

buckytom
                              Participant

Thanks!

maryb-z
                                Participant

Hi Tom,

Mary

maryb-z
                                  Participant

Hi Tom,

Mary

triciad
                                  Participant

Hi Tom,

I'm sorry to hear about your side effects.  I have been on Leukine (14 days on/14 days off) since October.  I haven't had any major side effects, but I think my hair is thinning out now.  Initially, my doctor said side effects were likely around day nine of injections.  She has me take 2 Benadryl and 2 Tylenol one hour prior to injection.  So far, it's working like a charm.  I would definitely contact your doctor about the side effects and let him/her know just to be safe…it could just be a virus that's going around and have nothing to do with the drug.  As with any medication, side effects vary greatly from person to person.  I hope you feel better soon. 

All the best,

Tricia

triciad
                                    Participant

Hi Tom,

All the best,

Tricia

Viewing 5 reply threads
                                  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.
                                  About the MRF Patient Forum

The MRF Patient Forum is the oldest and largest online community of people affected by melanoma. It is designed to provide peer support and information to caregivers, patients, family and friends. There is no better place to discuss different parts of your journey with this cancer and find the friends and support resources to make that journey more bearable.

The information on the forum is open and accessible to everyone. To add a new topic or to post a reply, you must be a registered user. Please note that you will be able to post both topics and replies anonymously even though you are logged in. All posts must abide by MRF posting policies.

Popular Topics